WHEN I Get The PERMIT- - - - N/A

Nice. I'm lazy: how much $$?

My location shall require a 45' tower. Project completed = $16,400. Completed projects vary according to tower heights of 30', 40', 45', or 50'. The project takes about a week to complete. (What an incredible YANKEES - Red Sox game has been going -- now 15 to 9 YANKEES after 8)

HR

Your neighbors are gonna love you Harley.

I need an antenna that high. I could kill two birds at once. :p

I sure hope I don't need a base that big.

Your neighbors are gonna love you Harley.

Georgetown has no ordinance re wind towers; there's a 35' height restriction re structures. I met Wednesday night with the Codes Enforcement Board. They need to do some research, and my project shall become the test case; probably an amendment/variance to the 35' regulation. They are in agreement they'll have to formulate something because mine will likely be only the first, with others to come in the future.

Neighbors? I'm in the sticks, man; though I do have some neighbors at lower and slightly higher elevations; and the unit is pretty quiet. It's the large wind farms with dozens of 400' towers that create local havoc during the Permit process. I'll be back with a Google-Earth Link to my location.

EDIT: Here's a Link: http://www.google.com/maps?q=39+Henry+Road+Georgetown+Maine?

No trailer trucks going by; no trains; frequent GA planes(not crow-flying far from Wiscasset Airport). The average wind in the area is 5.7mph at 33msl. I'm at 185msl, and the average winds are 12.5mph, with the turbine kicking-in at 8mph.

HR

Last edited:
Harley,

Will that supply your whole house and can you sell any back to the grid?

Bob

Cool Harley! I've always thought that would be a neat thing to have. How long do you expect it to take to pay for itself?

Harley,

Will that supply your whole house and can you sell any back to the grid?

Bob

Central Maine Power Co.(Florida Power and Light) will install a dual meter. One will meter what CMP supplies; the other will meter whatever gets kicked back into the grid. The installer said that whatever the unit produces goes directly to property use; overage, if any, goes back to the grid. He qualified that one should not make a "Buy" decision on the Back-to-Grid factor because if there are periods of low or no winds - - - - - - -.

HR

I'm already thinking of side-mounting an antenna. There's much ledge on this hill. Tons were blasted out before this foundation was poured. The North and South ends, and the East side(upper elevation) are "into" the ledge.

The tower will be secured to any ledge by very thick 45" bolts, similar to what I've seen used when keels are attached to 80' and larger yachts at Hodgdon Brothers Shipyard.

HR

Cool Harley! I've always thought that would be a neat thing to have. How long do you expect it to take to pay for itself?

My electrical supply has averaged $110 per month. Power suppliers seem to, historically, increase rates at about 3% per year. With that in mind I'm calculating about a 10 or 11 year payback.

There's a Bill in the Maine Legislature for a 30% credit against construction for the energy conservation factor, retroactive to 2006. It probably won't pass this year because State budgets are in a cost-cutting mode, but it'll pass, sometime.

HR

Last edited:

If you have greater than 20kts of steady wind for more than 280 24hr periods in a year, and you do all the maintenance and repairs yourself (and maint and repair are considerable factors with wind units, these are not erect and forget by any means, they break down on a regular basis) the typical payoff is 10 years. If either of those conditions are not met, they will never pay off directly. If you get some tax benefit, you can fudge with the numbers, but I choose not to since tax benefits can dissappear at any moment. In order to be worthwhile, you really need three. I looked deaply into this as I was ust about to put in 3 at the ranch in N-Tx where we most definitely had the winds and I was able to do all the work myself, the a divorce saved me from all that.

The housing association will have a fit. You just dropped surrounding property values for the next .5 - 1 miles.

Back