When Hobbies Collide.

StinkBug

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Dallas
I've been riding motorcycles on the street and on racetracks for about a decade now, and it just so happens that my favorite race track has it's own runway. I hate driving 3 hours each way for one day of fun, so I got one of my buddies to throw my bike in his trailer since he was coming out anyways, and I flew out to meet them. Awesome way to burn a bunch of fuel in multiple machines. Unfortunately it was 105*+ out there and my body wasn't very happy about being told to work hard all day wrapped in leather so I ended up not staying to watch the weekend races like I planned, but still had a great time riding. Plus I got to fly, which is always a huge bonus!

http://youtu.be/wEeF4-Pojms

The trick there would be to fly the RC airplane from the right seat of the full size one! Different kinda formation flight.

I ride my motorcycles to the airport, fly, ride home.
On days I don't fly, I take my RC planes to the club field and fly them.
In the winter, on days I can't do any of that, I build new planes.
Life is good.

Competitive waterskiing is one of my hobbies and I often fly to tournaments in other states. One of my friends in Michigan is a pilot and built a runway alongside is man-made ski lake which is very convenient for me when I go there. There are a few others with airports within walking distance as well.

Go for breakfast flight in the morning,take the wife and friends out ,in the afternoon on the boat. Keeps everyone happy,especially the oil companies.

I thought I was going to watch two hobie cats collide. :lol:

I have seen that personally.

I guess if I'm flying for fun it's a "hobby" but normally I fly as a means to get from point A to B where I would have otherwise driven or gone commercial. That said, bicycle riding often conflicts with my plans to fly to the mountains or the coast on weekends.

I thought I was going to watch two hobie cats collide. :lol:

That's funny, my other big hobby is sailing. :lol:

Hard for me to mix flying and sailing though, since the water is the same distance from home as the airport. I do sometimes ride a motorcycle to the dock though.

That's funny, my other big hobby is sailing. :lol:

Hard for me to mix flying and sailing though, since the water is the same distance from home as the airport. I do sometimes ride a motorcycle to the dock though.
Has anyone here ever flown a seaplane to where they keep the sailboat in order to sail for an afternoon?

I regularly take both of my lasers out with a buddy and practice precision sailing by seeing how close we can get without touching. It often ends in boats hitting each other. What's really fun is figuring out how to trade boats without slowing down.

Back