When dreams come true... (long)

Good luck! Glad you're still having fun.

Thanks! Definitely one of the best jobs in the world.

I flew with a captain this week for the second time. I think it was November or December when we first flew together. He told me that the first time we flew he was feeling a little in the doldrums in his flying career. He said "Your enthusiasm reopened my eyes to what a great career I have. Thanks for helping me feel that again."

He made my day.

I flew with a captain this week for the second time. I think it was November or December when we first flew together. He told me that the first time we flew he was feeling a little in the doldrums in his flying career. He said "Your enthusiasm reopened my eyes to what a great career I have. Thanks for helping me feel that again."

He made my day.

That's fantastic. We can definitely use some perspective from time to time.

When I was a new hire at my current gig, I flew a four day trip with a Captain that was turning 65, so it was his retirement flight. It was a great trip - the company put his wife on the airplane for all four days, the FAs were great, and we had a good time. He told me that while he never had that dream career where he's retiring off the 777, he still loved coming into work, still loved the job, and even hoped to find a King Air or something he could fly around during retirement. I recorded his last approach and landing with my iPhone (yeah, I know) and made a DVD of it for him. Both of us had tears in our eyes when he taxied to the gate for the last time. It was pretty special, and I was glad to have been part of it.

I still have a lot of career left (I hope!), so it's nice to know that you can still love what you do, even after all that time. I hope to be just like him. :)

That's fantastic. We can definitely use some perspective from time to time.

When I was a new hire at my current gig, I flew a four day trip with a Captain that was turning 65, so it was his retirement flight. It was a great trip - the company put his wife on the airplane for all four days, the FAs were great, and we had a good time. He told me that while he never had that dream career where he's retiring off the 777, he still loved coming into work, still loved the job, and even hoped to find a King Air or something he could fly around during retirement. I recorded his last approach and landing with my iPhone (yeah, I know) and made a DVD of it for him. Both of us had tears in our eyes when he taxied to the gate for the last time. It was pretty special, and I was glad to have been part of it.

I still have a lot of career left (I hope!), so it's nice to know that you can still love what you do, even after all that time. I hope to be just like him. :)

That's an awesome story. I suspect I'll repeat his emotions the last time I taxi the CRJ into the gate six years and three months from now. I suspect I'll be saying something like "What I ride!!"

The biggest difference I've noticed, moving into 121 passenger operations and the 117 rest rules is just how less tired I am when I'm flying. Not having to push thousands of pounds of freight around and then strap it down really changes the fatigue and tiredness factor. I'm flying 3x as many hours but feel more fresh doing it.

Looks like I may even get a line in my 2nd month of bidding, but things change between mock bid awards and actual awards, so who knows yet.

You make the job sound awesome! I've got my interview with Endeavor on Thursday. Fingers crossed.

Reading all the preceding made me realize.....I don't miss any of it! :yes:

The biggest difference I've noticed, moving into 121 passenger operations and the 117 rest rules is just how less tired I am when I'm flying. Not having to push thousands of pounds of freight around and then strap it down really changes the fatigue and tiredness factor. I'm flying 3x as many hours but feel more fresh doing it.

Looks like I may even get a line in my 2nd month of bidding, but things change between mock bid awards and actual awards, so who knows yet.

That sounds like a lot of extra physical labor. I can imagine it would take its toll. Good luck with getting a line!

That's an awesome story. I suspect I'll repeat his emotions the last time I taxi the CRJ into the gate six years and three months from now. I suspect I'll be saying something like "What I ride!!"

Retirement age is going up to 67. It's already there in other parts of the world, US will soon follow.

Retirement age is going up to 67. It's already there in other parts of the world, US will soon follow.

I'm quietly crossing my fingers for that to happen, although I'd still be a few months shy of the 10 year mark which kicks in the flight benefits. Maybe I can spend a few months in the training department when I can't fly anymore!

Good luck! You should have come to SkyWest...we have way more fun! :D
Thanks! From what I'm reading, the interviews are very relaxed and they make you feel comfortable. I would come to SKW if I lived on the west coast. I'm trying to stay in NY!

Good luck Jordan!

Thanks! From what I'm reading, the interviews are very relaxed and they make you feel comfortable. I would come to SKW if I lived on the west coast. I'm trying to stay in NY!

Roger....we don't have much out east.

I did a stand-up to RAP last night. This morning we arrived at the gate to find a FAA Inspector waiting. She was en route to a meeting in MSP, then on to DAL for some recurrent flight training. So, she decided to do an observation in our jumpseat. Oh, geez...

It was my leg and I have to admit I was a bit nervous. But we just did what we always do, minus most of the usual chit-chat. Thankfully I was flying with the captain that I think of as "Mr. SOP", and mean that in a good way. He prides himself on knowing and understanding out Standard Operating Procedures and adhering to them...but does so in an encouraging way, not a Lord-it-over-you kind of way.

I also knew he'd have my back, so that made it a bit easier. I think the only potential screw up I committed was commenting on the gorgeous sunrise we had this morning while we were still in sterile cockpit. When he didn't respond it dawned on me why. Oops!

Once at cruise I casually joked with the inspector about hoping I hadn't scared her too bad on the takeoff. She responded, "Landings are the hard part!" Hmmm....ok!

Weather was 1,100' OVC in MSP so we shot the ILS approach. They switched us from 30L to 30R at the last minute, but I had briefed both just in case so that was a fairly easy transition. I think I did pretty well on the approach, nailing all the callouts and had the automation dialed in pretty well. Once we broke out I let the autopilot continue to fly until about 600' AGL when I kicked it off and hand flew it. I stayed on the glideslope and keep the speed within the top half of the bug, despite some bumpy conditions and a pretty good crosswind final.

The crosswind mellowed at the runway and I made nice, soft touchdown in the zone and rolled out on the centerline before the captain assumed control for the taxi.

Back at the gate she said, "Well, I didn't see any issues. You guys did a nice job. Thanks for the ride."

Whew! A sigh of relief.

Last edited:
I'm getting checked out in the CRJ 700 & 900 this week. I did an OKC turn this morning in the 700, then flew a 900 to BNA this afternoon. Boy, the 900 is a big bird! The big engines and FADEC make both a joy to fly.

Flying into Nashville tonight I set a new personal best: 605 Kts (695 mph) across the ground! See attached.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
I'm getting checked out in the CRJ 700 & 900 this week. I did an OKC turn this morning in the 700, then flew a 900 to BNA this afternoon. Boy, the 900 is a big bird! The big engines and FADEC make both a joy to fly.

Flying into Nashville tonight I set a new personal best: 605 Kts (695 mph) across the ground! See attached.

I've always been told the 700/900 fixed everything that was wrong with the 200. If we operated the planes the same as you guys, with one pilot group I could see doing it. But having to go back to training to change airplanes and then sitting reserve for longer, I think I'll pass.

I've always been told the 700/900 fixed everything that was wrong with the 200. If we operated the planes the same as you guys, with one pilot group I could see doing it. But having to go back to training to change airplanes and then sitting reserve for longer, I think I'll pass.

That's a pretty accurate statement. The ECS is much better. Engines have enough extra umph to handle the ECS and anti-ice. They climb like a banshee to cruise altitude. FADEC makes power management a breeze. They're awesome airplanes. Biggest issue I've found is energy management in the 900. There's a significant lag between power adjustments and the plane's response. So much fun mass to deal with. But that's minor.

Finally....I'm fully qualified on the CRJ-200, -700 and -900. I really like flying the bigger jets...some nice improvements over the -200. The longer legs are kinda nice, averaging close to two hours block per leg on this trip.

Going into Memphis this afternoon the winds were 27G36 and we had a 20 knot speed loss at 250'. I pushed the go-levers up and managed to still make a decent landings. My check airman (who happens to be married to our assistant chief) gave me kudos for the approach and landing, then heard her relaying the same nice comments to her hubby over the phone on our layover in MEM. Never hurts to have a positive review with the boss!

In other news, yesterday was supposedly the end of my probation, pending a sit-down meeting with the assistant chief to make it official. Hopefully that'll happen early next week....ideally before I head to California for a few days of flying out of SFO.

In other news, yesterday was supposedly the end of my probation, pending a sit-down meeting with the assistant chief to make it official. Hopefully that'll happen early next week....ideally before I head to California for a few days of flying out of SFO.

He'll tell you that he read your thread on POA and thinks that you are doing a great job :) .

I'm quietly crossing my fingers for that to happen, although I'd still be a few months shy of the 10 year mark which kicks in the flight benefits. Maybe I can spend a few months in the training department when I can't fly anymore!

Not 100% positive but I don't think you can be an IP or any flying position when you reach retirement age. Now you might be able to move into a management or another nonflying position if you want to hit that 10 year mark. Are you going for 10 years for the travel benefit (used very loosely lol)? I know a couple pilots who didn't have 10 years flying at ASA but moved into scheduling, dispatch etc to hit that 10 year mark for travel benefits.

I've always been told the 700/900 fixed everything that was wrong with the 200..

The 200 was really just a stretch based on the Canadair Challenger. Just look at where the passenger windows are, so low they have to bend their heads to see out. The 700 and 900 were a clean sheet design built for airline use much better than the 200. W&B, performance, ECS, FADEC etc all improvements.

Not 100% positive but I don't think you can be an IP or any flying position when you reach retirement age. Now you might be able to move into a management or another nonflying position if you want to hit that 10 year mark. Are you going for 10 years for the travel benefit (used very loosely lol)? I know a couple pilots who didn't have 10 years flying at ASA but moved into scheduling, dispatch etc to hit that 10 year mark for travel benefits.

True, no 121 flying after retirement. I'd consider moving into the training department and teach systems in ground school or something similar. I enjoy teaching. Spent four years teaching in a law school, as well as my flight instructing. Loved it.

And retiree flight benefits are marginal at best, but you can still get lucky!

Last edited:
The 200 was really just a stretch based on the Canadair Challenger. Just look at where the passenger windows are, so low they have to bend their heads to see out. The 700 and 900 were a clean sheet design built for airline use much better than the 200. W&B, performance, ECS, FADEC etc all improvements.

I can believe that. Even the overhead bins are slightly bigger....I don't have to squeeze my bag quite as much to fit it in! W&B is a non-issue, whereas it's a constant concern when fully loaded on the 200. The ECS is way better. And FADEC is a pure joy to fly...much less fiddling with power, especially in climb.

True, no 121 flying after retirement. I'd consider moving into the training department and teach systems in ground school or something similar. I enjoy teaching. Spent four years teaching in a law school, as well as my flight instructing. Loved it.

And retire flight benefits are marginal at best, but you can still get lucky!

For what it's worth, a certain other MSP based regional hires non-seniority list part time simulator instructors. I had a couple in my new hire class in November.

The wind the last couple days has been crazy, delayed flights, cancelled flights, diverts, what a joyous time (sarcasm).

Last edited:

Of course, I mean, its still the same airframe, they just changed where they cut the windows and put different wings on it. Honestly, I have zero desire to fly the bigger CRJ. Doing turns in and out of the midwest isn't too bad, keeps you out of dealing with the mess that is LGA/JFK for the most part.

The first year of this amazing adventure has finally drawn to a close. It was one year ago today that I left for CRJ ground school at my airline.

I just finished my one year review with our assistant chief pilot. He said all my captain evaluations were excellent and complimented me on a perfect reliability rating (no late shows, no sick days, etc.) He told me to keep doing what I'm doing because it's working. He also said he hopes I take the captain upgrade as soon as I'm eligible because, based on the reviews, he thinks I will be a great captain. I said I'd definitely consider it, but needed to achieve great FO status first! I'm still learning and will be for quite awhile.

I'm now awaiting my deadhead flight to SFO for a couple of days of California flying. I'm looking forward to a bit of warmth and a respite from deicing!

Thanks to all who've joine me on this adventure with encouragement and positive feedback on the stories. I'm looking forward to what year two has to offer!

And I soloed a young man today! It's been a good day!

Last edited:
The first year of this amazing adventure has finally drawn to a close. It was one year ago today that I left for CRJ ground school at my airline.

I just finished my one year review with our assistant chief pilot. He said all my captain evaluations were excellent and Complimented me on a perfect reliability rating (no late shows, no sick days, etc.) He told me to keep doing what I'm doing because it's working. He also said he hopes I take the captain upgrade as soon as I'm eligible because, based on the reviews, he thinks I will be a great captain. I said I'd definitely consider it, but needed to achieve great FO status first! I'm still learning and will be for quite awhile.

I'm now awaiting my deadhead flight to SFO for a couple of days of California flying. I'm looking forward to a bit of warmth and a respite from deicing!

Thanks to all who've joine me on this adventure with encouragement and positive feedback on the stories. I'm looking forward to what year two has to offer!

And I soloed a young man today! It's been a good day!
The weather is beautiful here! (SFO)

Doing turns in and out of the midwest isn't too bad, keeps you out of dealing with the mess that is LGA/JFK for the most part.

LGA and JFK are a blast to fly into and out of! JFK very busy in the evening due to all the European departures, otherwise the rest of the day not bad at all. LGA always busy but fun. I think my favorite is the arrival to runway 19 at Wash Reagan. That's a blast to fly.

I am here until Friday afternoon (personal trip, not work). Maybe we can work out a time to meet.

I'm just there tonight. Arriving around 8 pm, staying at the HI Express near the airport. Would enjoy meeting and swapping stories!

Lovely Bakersfield tomorrow night!

I'm just there tonight. Arriving around 8 pm, staying at the HI Express near the airport. Would enjoy meeting and swapping stories!

Oh sorry, I'm going to do a full moon tour of Point Bonita Lighthouse this evening. Maybe some other time!

SFO to bakersfield?...Why..On...Earth...?

Back