When does ForeFlight 6 release?

Are you on iOS 7.1? (Check Settings->General->About for the version)
Yeah, I checked the requirements after posting that. I had been holding off on upgrading to iOS 7 because of the rumored larger memory footprint (I have a 32GB iPad). Finally decided to take the plunge because of this, downloading now.

Okay, that was the problem. Now I have Foreflight 6 installed, some 2GB less free space on my iPad (estimated, I didn't write down how much was available before, and some of that is undoubtedly the terrain map)...

and I absolutely HATE the look of iOS 7. Idiotic looking icons, the indicator bar at the top of the screen is almost unreadable due to being drowned in the background, and using auto-brightness the screen looks MUCH brighter than before (which surely means the battery will go down faster). I'll reserve judgment but I suspect it will be way too bright in the cockpit at night unless I take it off auto and adjust it manually.

Minor functionality hit: if plugged into the charger, the "charging" icon always shows even if it's fully charged. There is no longer a "plugged in" icon.

Last edited:
The pro version is only about $75 more. A huge bargain compared to everything else in aviation (and still cheaper than paper charts ever were).

Why not just upgrade?

Isn't it great how eager other people are to spend my money?

Okay, that was the problem. Now I have Foreflight 6 installed, some 2GB less free space on my iPad (estimated, I didn't write down how much was available before, and some of that is undoubtedly the terrain map)...

and I absolutely HATE the look of iOS 7. Idiotic looking icons, the indicator bar at the top of the screen is almost unreadable due to being drowned in the background, and using auto-brightness the screen looks MUCH brighter than before (which surely means the battery will go down faster). I'll reserve judgment but I suspect it will be way too bright in the cockpit at night unless I take it off auto and adjust it manually.

Minor functionality hit: if plugged into the charger, the "charging" icon always shows even if it's fully charged. There is no longer a "plugged in" icon.

+10000. If I could easily revert back to iOS 6 I would. Not sure what type of usability testing Apple did on this new version, but I'm appalled. Defacto usability standards frown on light colors on light colors. This turquoise/whatever on the light background is ridiculous. :dunno: And why on earth do I need to enter my pin code EVERY TIME I turn on the machine? Previously I could set a time, but not now. Every single time.

Definitely do not like the iOS7 colors, layout, icons, etc.

Where do you get that idea?

Heh. Do you *really* want the cynic's answer to that question? ;)

OpenSSL. ;)

I'm sure you've got wonderful folk and do great work and the track record is excellent.

But so was theirs. And frankly, no offense, but I'm sure they have smarter coders, just by the nature of the crypto world attracting them of nothing else.

Every major software product will eventually release a "holy crap, how did you miss that?!" bug, and usually it'll take a special set of circumstances or someone doing something no one expected they'd do, to find it.

Credit where credit is due, FF as an organization knows this and when I found a way to crash the App, in the two days it took me to get around to uploading debug data, the fix was already in progress and my data (so I was told) was utilized to confirm the fix.

So yeah. FF had a bug that caused full App crash for about a week, once. And it'll happen again.

There isn't any way to avoid it without some very expensive staffing solutions that are way too high a price tag to implement. The only projects I've ever seen able to afford them were government funded. DoD and NASA.

FF does a great job. But the math of how many serious bugs a coder introduces per X number of lines of code is a linear equation and an unstoppable fact of life in software development.

How FF handles the bug when it hits (not if it hits, when), is where they'll continue to make or break their good name. So far, so good.

+10000. If I could easily revert back to iOS 6 I would. Not sure what type of usability testing Apple did on this new version, but I'm appalled. Defacto usability standards frown on light colors on light colors. This turquoise/whatever on the light background is ridiculous. :dunno: And why on earth do I need to enter my pin code EVERY TIME I turn on the machine? Previously I could set a time, but not now. Every single time.

Definitely do not like the iOS7 colors, layout, icons, etc.

Look under the pass code settings. You can set the time interval for when pass codes are required to up to four hours.

Isn't it great how eager other people are to spend my money?

Either the additional features are worth the upgrade price or they're not. Would you complain that Ford didn't include all the cool, deluxe options/features in their base model?

Either the additional features are worth the upgrade price or they're not. Would you complain that Ford didn't include all the cool, deluxe options/features in their base model?
not at all. but to se all the features require the Stratus and the pro version, and that's not "cheaper than paper charts"

Look under the pass code settings. You can set the time interval for when pass codes are required to up to four hours.
That was the first thing I tried....have it set to no time, still requires the passcode.

The brightness you can change, even with auto-brightness on - Turn it down a bit.

As for the rest - Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the "flat" design, I much preferred the previous skumorphic design. However, having been through this before, I know you'll get used to it and before long if you see a device running the old version it'll just look silly to you. They'll also improve it over time... 7.1 is already better than 7.0 was.

Heh. Do you *really* want the cynic's answer to that question? ;)

OpenSSL. ;)

C'mon, that was only ONE bug. ;) :rofl:

Every major software product will eventually release a "holy crap, how did you miss that?!" bug, and usually it'll take a special set of circumstances or someone doing something no one expected they'd do, to find it.

Yes, but one "holy crap how did you miss that" bug is a lot different than "buggy as hell" which implies many bugs. I've never seen any release version of ForeFlight that could be qualified as "buggy" much less "buggy as hell".

In fact, even the early betas we get are usually more stable than the release versions of other software I've used. These guys are good!

Credit where credit is due, FF as an organization knows this and when I found a way to crash the App, in the two days it took me to get around to uploading debug data, the fix was already in progress and my data (so I was told) was utilized to confirm the fix.

And because of that responsiveness, even a cautious user should feel comfortable with a .0 version, maybe just waiting a week in case one of those rare bugs is found. IME, If you don't see a .0.1 version in a week or two, there probably won't be one, and no bad bugs were found in the .0.

But never will you see a released version that's "buggy as hell."

The brightness you can change, even with auto-brightness on - Turn it down a bit.
Yeah, but it doesn't help readability. I think a lot of the problem is the color scheme, as Murphey alluded to.

As for the rest - Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the "flat" design, I much preferred the previous skumorphic design. However, having been through this before, I know you'll get used to it and before long if you see a device running the old version it'll just look silly to you. They'll also improve it over time... 7.1 is already better than 7.0 was.
In that case I'm really glad I never went for 7.0. As to getting used to it, probably. I've gotten used to presbyopia too, but if I could have my accommodation back risk-free, I'd jump for it in a moment.

C'mon, that was only ONE bug. ;) :rofl:

Yes, but one "holy crap how did you miss that" bug is a lot different than "buggy as hell" which implies many bugs. I've never seen any release version of ForeFlight that could be qualified as "buggy" much less "buggy as hell".

In fact, even the early betas we get are usually more stable than the release versions of other software I've used. These guys are good!

And because of that responsiveness, even a cautious user should feel comfortable with a .0 version, maybe just waiting a week in case one of those rare bugs is found. IME, If you don't see a .0.1 version in a week or two, there probably won't be one, and no bad bugs were found in the .0.

But never will you see a released version that's "buggy as hell."

Fair enough. But it only takes one catastrophic bug. No need for "buggy as hell" to make software useless. ;)

Its not like they are nerfing the standard version. If you like the new features available under the pro subscription, pony up my parsimonious friend.

I'm not sure what "nerfing" is, but said another way, my point is that they've been adding new features almost exclusively to the "pro" version, including features which aren't targeted at a "pro" audience. The "standard" version has been rather neglected, and remains rather basic in features compared with competitors, and is perhaps overpriced in the market as a chart viewer.

I don't make a habit of paying for lots of things that I don't want nor need (that's why, after many years, I quit paying for television content). I really like the FF interface and their focus on quality, and I really want to support them rather than Garmin, but I'm starting to get concerned that they're sliding under the heel of Garmin's boot.

JKG

That was the first thing I tried....have it set to no time, still requires the passcode.

Yes...you're telling it to ALWAYS prompt for the code. Try setting it to four gph ours and see what happens.

The pro version is still less expensive than my Southwest region only Jepp charts were, 20 years ago. I find it fascinating they even have a non-pro version. This stuff is incredibly cost-effective. And... I don't have to spend an entire Saturday clipping charts I'll never use into a freakin' binder.

The pro version is still less expensive than my Southwest region only Jepp charts were, 20 years ago. I find it fascinating they even have a non-pro version. This stuff is incredibly cost-effective. And... I don't have to spend an entire Saturday clipping charts I'll never use into a freakin' binder.

Yep...I think it's half of what I spent for the Jepp NC back in the early 80s. In real dollars, it's probably a quarter of that cost. Amazing value.

And one that answers one of Ron Levy's favorite question: "When is the last time you cross checked the heading indicator to your compass?"

I do that after handoffs and when I've been cleared for the approach before intercepting the localizer.

Back