When does ForeFlight 6 release?

They recently submitted it to apple for approval in App Store. They expect it available early next week.

They recently submitted it to apple for approval in App Store. They expect it available early next week.

ooc, what "approval" is Apple providing? That the app works and does no harm to various things?

Everything must be first approved by the great sata...errrrr...Apple.

I must be honest, the features shown so far look like they should have been a 5.x release, not 6.x. Are there more goodies they haven't gone public with?

I REALLY expected SV to be done for this release. They are starting to fall behind.

While SV will be nice if / when it is released on foreflight, I do not think that they are falling behind by not having it. I get the feeling they are very methodical in their releases ensuring adequate testing and stability with their product. I'll gladly wait.

I've emailed them a handful of times with questions of a support nature and have gotten responses within an hour or so. I wish all software companies were like FF. Having tried a few of the other products i keep coming back to ForeFlight. I just feel it is a superior product.

To me, Sythetic Vision is a neat gimmic, but doesn't really belong on a EFB. For me, my iPad is either on a yoke mount or in my lap; neither place is ideal for displaying a glass cockpit display or SV.

If these neat features take away processing power and eat up battery life, I'd probably turn the feature off if it was possible.

More valuable to me is integrated checklists that begin prompting based on what you're doing. First turn on? Preflight checklist is queued up. Level off from initial climb? Cruise checklist pops up. Nearing destination? Descent and prelanding checklists accordingly. To me, that would be a neat and useful feature.

Different stroke for different folks.

More valuable to me is integrated checklists that begin prompting based on what you're doing. First turn on? Preflight checklist is queued up. Level off from initial climb? Cruise checklist pops up. Nearing destination? Descent and prelanding checklists accordingly. To me, that would be a neat and useful feature.

Good ideas. I especially like the idea of an audible warning of when to complete the pre-landing check list.

To me, Sythetic Vision is a neat gimmic, but doesn't really belong on a EFB. For me, my iPad is either on a yoke mount or in my lap; neither place is ideal for displaying a glass cockpit display or SV.

If these neat features take away processing power and eat up battery life, I'd probably turn the feature off if it was possible.

Yep, that and some kind of VNAV would be more useful than SV.

I just mention SV because it's the one glaring feature they are missing vs. their competitors.

I agree, SV is more of a gimmick than useful on the ipad and maybe even invite people to fly an approach in instrument conditions while trying to switch between a geo referenced chart and sv.

But custom checklists that pop up based on where the plane is on the flight plan would be pretty neat, maybe even a settable tank switch reminder.

maybe even a settable tank switch reminder.
And one that answers one of Ron Levy's favorite question: "When is the last time you cross checked the heading indicator to your compass?"

The split screen and profile view look pretty cool. Saw it at Sun N Fun today.

Is it just split screen for attitude, or can you do split screen with other functions?

What other features did they add?

I'm not sure why they are showing it publicly at sun n fun without sharing the full details with us poor saps who are not able to be there..... :)

Is it just split screen for attitude, or can you do split screen with other functions?

What other features did they add?

The split screen I saw was for attitude which implies the need for a Straus to be of any use.

Sun and Fun ends tomorrow and still no sign of FF 6.0 in the App Store.

When I visited the booth at the start of the show Tues. They really weren't showing the new version. Had a long talk with one of the reps on cost of adding Canada charts. That's another 150.00 by the way.

They told me at the booth today its being released april 7. I asked about vnav. He winked and said we'll see!!

When I visited the booth at the start of the show Tues. They really weren't showing the new version. Had a long talk with one of the reps on cost of adding Canada charts. That's another 150.00 by the way.

$150 a year, but it can be pro rated. If you upgrade to Canada charts and use it for 36 days, you can switch back to USA only and get 90% credited to your subscription. That's perfect if you are only a casual user of Canada charts.

They told me at the booth today its being released april 7. I asked about vnav. He winked and said we'll see!!

Were you actually speaking with a ForeFlight employee? That doesn't sound like the kind of thing they'd say or do. They have no control over the release date - It gets released when Apple approves it. And since they were showing off the latest version in the booth as I understand it, if you didn't see a feature there, it's not gonna be in the release either.

I'm pretty sure once Apple approves it, the developer can "time" the release to their liking.

I'm pretty sure once Apple approves it, the developer can "time" the release to their liking.

Yep. When submitting to the App Store you have two options: release upon approval OR hold for developer release

Were you actually speaking with a ForeFlight employee? That doesn't sound like the kind of thing they'd say or do. They have no control over the release date - It gets released when Apple approves it. And since they were showing off the latest version in the booth as I understand it, if you didn't see a feature there, it's not gonna be in the release either.

Yup. I think his name was Brad. In his 40s demonstrating it. Just conveying what he told me. What happens now i guess we shall see

I really wish all the all developers would settle on a third party gps device. Both FF and Garmin Pilot are great, but you'd spend like $1500 to get both devices. Ugh!!!

You can't release it until apple approves it but you can hold the release back if you so choose after it's been approved until you want to release it.

Maybe they are waiting until after SNF so that all of the staff is back in the office to address any issues/bugs/difficulties that may come up.

That's actually a smart move if that's why they're waiting.

I thought it was in Apple's hands for review last week and the timing is really up to apple?

On Saturday woman in the booth said they had just discovered another minor issue which they needed to fix and correct before release.

While I was talking to her someone else asked when they would have synthetic vision. She just said it is in the pipeline. I asked her how often she hears that question. She rolled her eyes and A LOT!!!

Last edited:
Yep. When submitting to the App Store you have two options: release upon approval OR hold for developer release

But what would be the point of FF doing a hold for developer release? I don't think they've ever done that, and since they have already announced it and are showing it off, it doesn't make any sense to hold it back more when people obviously want it now.

Maybe they are waiting until after SNF so that all of the staff is back in the office to address any issues/bugs/difficulties that may come up.

That's actually a smart move if that's why they're waiting.

ForeFlight has gotten a lot bigger in the last few years... They do not bring the entire staff to air shows any more. I forget if it was last year or the year before, but there was a release that got approved mid-Oshkosh.

Well, I only know what I was told. One thing for sure is - it WILL come out.. Maybe today, maybe not, but eventually we'll get our hands on it.

Looking at it at the show it was very nice. I liked some of the new features. Going to order a Stratus today!

Well, I only know what I was told. One thing for sure is - it WILL come out.. Maybe today, maybe not, but eventually we'll get our hands on it.

Looking at it at the show it was very nice. I liked some of the new features. Going to order a Stratus today!

I bought my Stratus at Sun-n-Fun on Saturday.
I guess I'm glad I did, but I am having some second thoughts.

My plan was to buy the stratus and sell my Zaon tcas, but when I went up yesterday, the Zaon was displaying a lot of "targets" that the Stratus didn't see. But the Stratus was reporting a bunch of targets 50 miles away.

There wasn't any weather to display so I couldn't compare it to XM on the 496.

There is a warning on the box that the unit contains a Lithium Ion battery and it is important not to let it get hot. DO NOT STORE UNIT IN AIRCRAFT OR AUTOMOBILE. One thing I like about having my own hangar is that I can just leave the toys in the airplane and they will be there when I get back. Now I have to remember to pack up the Stratus and take it with me.

And I have a question to ask about the Stratus: Where can I mount it? Does it have any "line of site" limitations? can I put it in the little storage compartment in the panel or does it need to be on the glare shield (or conversely, should it NOT be on the glare shield?).

I assume you don't have ADS-B out?

If you don't, that traffic situation is expected.

And I have a question to ask about the Stratus: Where can I mount it? Does it have any "line of site" limitations? can I put it in the little storage compartment in the panel or does it need to be on the glare shield (or conversely, should it NOT be on the glare shield?).

For the C182, I have it mounted on the RH lower corner of the windscreen, just aft of where it meets the glare shield. It's a suction cup RAM mount that fits to the clip in mount that comes in the box.

If you don't already have it, consider spending the additional $60.00 for the "remote" antenna. This significantly adds to how many towers are seen by the unit. I keep the antenna right near the unit, but the cord length provides plenty of placement choices.

Without the antenna, the Stratus 2 will see 3 towers on average. With the antenna, the unit reports seeing 5 towers, and periodically 6 or 7.

Back