When departing from controlled airport

I can't tell you when I've been told to fly a pattern when a towered field (other than when I asked to stay in one). I'm usually told to enter on a base, or straight in or not told at all how to enter it YES EVEN AT DULLES. In which case I make the most expeditious approach to final, unless told otherwise.

I'm certainly not going to go manouver for a 45 degree entry to downwind, and tower is certainly likely to ask me what the hell I'm doing if I did.

You might want to read AIM 4-3-5. "Anything goes" isn't consistent with that.

Absence of a specific instruction to enter the pattern (or not) has a default -- and it's the 45 per AIM.

I get told to "make left traffic" all the time at Class C and D airports, unless I'm in a good position to make a base or straight in entry. That covers half the airspace. "Make left traffic" means to maneuver the aircraft for the 45. Occasionally, I might get told to fly direct midfield, then make left traffic, or to enter downwind. Generally only if traffic is heavy and that helps the spacing.

See the mess you made J777!

But the majority of his random questions could have been answered with a little bit of effort on his part. He's using the forum so he doesn't have to do the leg work himself.
Someone else will learn something. Don't be a d**k.

Someone else will learn something. Don't be a d**k.

Wow. Some of you have sensitivity issues.

The question was answered way back in post # 2. While lengthy, even for Nate's standards, a complex question requires a complex answer.

Some of you think you know everything and someone who asks a question is a lazy dunce or fraud.

Some of you think you know everything and someone who asks a question is a lazy dunce or fraud.

Never said he was a fraud or lazy. I just get the strange feeling from reading his posts, that I'm replying to a 17 yr old from Bangladesh, flying a 777 around on his PC. Not that there's anything wrong with that though.

You might want to read AIM 4-3-5. "Anything goes" isn't consistent with that.
There's nothing in that section inconsistent with what I said.

Absence of a specific instruction to enter the pattern (or not) has a default -- and it's the 45 per AIM.
Nope. And again, it's immaterial as there's no requirement to enter a traffic pattern at all at a controlled field unless specifically instructed to do so.
I get told to "make left traffic" all the time at Class C and D airports, unless I'm in a good position to make a base or straight in entry. That covers half the airspace. "Make left traffic" means to maneuver the aircraft for the 45. Occasionally, I might get told to fly direct midfield, then make left traffic, or to enter downwind. Generally only if traffic is heavy and that helps the spacing.

Again, if you are told to enter a traffic pattern or downwind or base or whatever, you do that. If you're not given that instruction, there's no obligation to do so (and in fact the controller would be surprised if you did).

Never said he was a fraud or lazy. I just get the strange feeling from reading his posts, that I'm replying to a 17 yr old from Bangladesh, flying a 777 around on his PC. Not that there's anything wrong with that though.

And if he is? Then he learned something. So good for him. Based on reading some of the posts here, there are some experienced pilots that didn't know the answer either.

If I'm at a Delta, I'll request the departure type I want at the hold short... "Holding short 29... request right downwind/right 270/straight out/etc departure."

If I'm at a Charlie, I'll go on CD or Ground and tell them the direction. When I'm at the hold short, I'll announce direction again to the tower. "Holding short 29 for departure to the east/north/south."

If I'm at a Bravo something has gone terribly terribly wrong.

...Again, if you are told to enter a traffic pattern or downwind or base or whatever, you do that. If you're not given that instruction, there's no obligation to do so (and in fact the controller would be surprised if you did).
I think that what controllers are surprised by varies from place to place.

If I'm at a Delta, I'll request the departure type I want at the hold short... "Holding short 29... request right downwind/right 270/straight out/etc departure."
Not always the case. Listen to the ATIS at some airports and they'll tell you to contact ground with departure direction. The guys at my airport get pretty ticked if you make the departure request with tower when you're holding short.

Not always the case. Listen to the ATIS at some airports and they'll tell you to contact ground with departure direction. The guys at my airport get pretty ticked if you make the departure request with tower when you're holding short.
Absolutely. Like Nate said... "Depends." Lol

Back