When are you ready to solo?

Hugh2010

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Hugh
My CFI mentioned "solo" last week, and I was shocked to even hear the word at this point in my training. But it did get me thinking more seriously about the whole reason for signing off a student to fly solo. Upon reflection I realized that the purpose of the solo isn't only a "rite of passage" on a student's way to his or her PPL (a merit badge if you will) - it's also a tool that the instructor uses when the student is ready.
Flying solo suddenly puts the student up without a net - and that takes your learning to the next level. While flying with a CFI you subconciously know you have another set of eyes watching for traffic, or if your altitude is a little off they will catch it. When you fly solo, that's not the case so you'd BETTER do it correctly. A little scary perhaps, but it helps you focus on your flying, and helps you learn confidence in yourself and your abilities as a pilot.
I'm glad he mentioned it now, and maybe he did it on some secret CFI schedule because suddenly I am a LOT more focused while in the cockpit. Airspeed, altitude, rate of climb, turns, patterns, etc., everything is suddenly more important.
Which brings me to my question:
How does a CFI decide when to sign off a student to solo?
I really could care less when I solo (at my age getting my PPL really is about the journey) but I wanted to know what other students and CFI's thought...

Not a CFI, but mine soloed me when he thought I had the key requirements under control and wouldn't be a threat to myself or others in the air if he let me take that 172 by myself. Must not have scared him too much cause he let me do it again. :D

Now, watch the weather. I hope he lets you go this weekend, 'cause VFR weather doesn't look to be in the cards for a while after. I've got an IR lesson scheduled for next Friday after work. Haven't been up with the CFII since June (long story) and it ought to be interesting working off rust in actual. :yes:

How do I decide? Well, obviously all the squares in 14 CFR 61.87 must be filled, but from a judgement perspective, essentially, when the student can start, taxi out, take off, fly the traffic pattern, land, taxi in, shut down, and secure the plane without me having to correct him/her. That's not to say I won't have comments, but it is saying I won't have to make a correction to prevent injury, damage, exceeding an aircraft limitation, or a regulation violation.

When you have fulfilled the prerequisites and the likelyhood of you hurting yourself, the aircraft or anyone else is low.

thats good that his mention of solo has helped tighten up your flying. but dont get too wound up about WHEN you are going to solo because that is a great way to have lousy performance and extend the flying time needed ($$$) to get to solo. Many of the worst landings I ever made were late in my pre-solo stage as I was getting anxious about when i would solo. So keep flying right and doing everything the way you've been doing it and it will come when you and your instructor are ready!

Just remember this....While the CFI is with you, make sure you do your patterns the same every time, as close as possible in all aspects.

When you get ready to solo, It is going to feel weird with the seat next to you empty. I was nervous on taxi, but as soon as I started my T/O roll, the training and good habits took over. DON"T forget your scan of the instruments so you don't get too slow on base to final.

Here is my story of my Wild & Crazy but successful Solo

The winds were 100@10G13, so Runway 9 was the active for the day. Temp was around 93 at 4:00 EST in Palm Beach County, FL, so thermals were also active. The most unusual aspect was the wind coming in from the ocean would "roll" over the condos creating a type of "mountain wave" that undulated towards the airport. KLNA is about 2 miles E from the condo's on the ICW and 2.75 miles E of the ocean Condo's.

At around 400' on take off you would start bumping, and the plane wanted to roll right. At one point I had the yoke at the 10:00 position to maintain level flight. On another take off, the airplane rolled to a 30degree bank attitude and it took some pressure to add in left aileron. My instructor showed me how adding a little left rudder also, would kick it back level nicely. On one of the landings, as I was rounding out, the wind gusted and lifted me about 20' or so and I did a go around, even though there was plenty of runway. I just didn't feel like trying to wrestle the plane at that moment.

After 7 landings in these conditions without any assistance, my instructor stated these wind levels were very borderline for his level of allowing solo's, but as I had completed 7 w/o assistance, he asked if I felt I could do this. I thought about for a few seconds, and the winds were dying down a little, so I affirmed I believed I was ready.

I stopped and let the instructor out, and he observed with a handheld radio. As I waited my turn to take off, unknown to me, the Head Flight instructor came out to watch also, My instructor is the #2 man. There are around 8 or so instructors at my school.

The traffic had started to build with around 5 fixed wing in the Left Hand traffic pattern, and 2 Helicopters in a RH traffic pattern. Some of the fixed wing would stay in the pattern, some would depart straight out, and later rejoin the pattern. The Helicopters would either come to the right side of the runway and hover over the grass, or sometimes autogyrate to the actual runway.

I had wondered how nervous I would be at this time. I was nervous in the taxi and take off at first, being alone in the plane, but as soon as I started the climb, it was all automatic, and calming, and I was "In The Zone". The first take off, pattern and landing were perfect, and probably my best landing to date.

On final approach the 2nd time, I had a really good approach and speed, was about 100' AGL, watching the numbers be stationary in my window picture, and LOW & BEHOLD
ranting.gif
a C152 from the other flight school at the airport, pulls out in front of me on the runway and starts his take off roll! My first thought was: "This can't be real or happening. YOU DON"T DO THAT, PULL OUT IN FRONT OF AN AIRPLANE LANDING!"

I quickly went into a go around mode, but this time I diverted to the right of the runway (glad there were no helicopters there at this time) and announced I was continuing my UPWIND parallel to runway 9 due to a runway incursion. I gradually overtook the 152 and was above and in front of him. I glanced over my left shoulder, and looked at him. Over the radio I said: " Cessna 152 on the upwind runway 9, state your intentions!" No answer. Then I repeated it a 2nd time probably a little more forcefully, and I imagine I was pretty loud and irritated sounding, (I forgot to ask my instuctor how I sounded)

He finally answered that He was staying in the pattern, so I announced I was executing an extended up wind, and staying in the pattern. He then stated that he was sorry and thought he could make it without interferring with me. I yelled, ummm retorted back that I was at 100', how could he not interfere. No reply. This leads me to believe he never either looked, or never saw me, or only saw the next plane in the pattern on base.

I performed a little slow flight exercise, to add distance between us, and landed after him. Again, even after all of this, it was one of my top 5 landings. When I stopped after the turn off and hold bars to "clean up" the plane, I looked over at him in front on the return taxiway, and he was looking pretty nervous as if he half expected me to jump out of my plane, drag his sorry butt out of his plane and proceed to kick it thoroughly (which did briefly cross my mind)

The third T/O and landing went fine, my landing was a little off, slight drop but no bounce, but a happy ending to a major milestone day, that could have been a disaster. Got my shirt cut, and a replacement that states: "I lost my shirt at Palm Beach Flight Training".

The instructor and Head Instructor said "Very Nice Job!", and it was just how they would have handled the situation.

All in all, it was the runway incursion I'll never forget!

Last edited:
He then stated that he was sorry and thought he could make it without interferring with me. I yelled, ummm retorted back that I was at 150', how could he not interfere. No reply. This leads me to believe...

...The instructor and Head Instructor said "Very Nice Job!", and it was just how they would have handled the situation.

By bitching a guy out on frequency??? :eek:

Everything else, good job... Wasting freq time, not so. The guy screwed up. Shake it off, get over it, and don't tie up the frequency with talk that can't change anything. :no:

By bitching a guy out on frequency??? :eek:

Everything else, good job... Wasting freq time, not so. The guy screwed up. Shake it off, get over it, and don't tie up the frequency with talk that can't change anything. :no:

Couldn't have said it better. He was wrong to take the runway while you were that close, but tying up the frequency is also wrong. He said he was sorry, there's nothing more that can be done about it in the air... I've had more than one occassion where there were two or three planes in the pattern, yet nobody could get a word in on the radio because of a pilot complaining about being cut-off at another local airport that shares the frequency.

My CFI mentioned "solo" last week, and I was shocked to even hear the word at this point in my training. But it did get me thinking more seriously about the whole reason for signing off a student to fly solo. Upon reflection I realized that the purpose of the solo isn't only a "rite of passage" on a student's way to his or her PPL (a merit badge if you will) - it's also a tool that the instructor uses when the student is ready.
Flying solo suddenly puts the student up without a net - and that takes your learning to the next level. While flying with a CFI you subconciously know you have another set of eyes watching for traffic, or if your altitude is a little off they will catch it. When you fly solo, that's not the case so you'd BETTER do it correctly. A little scary perhaps, but it helps you focus on your flying, and helps you learn confidence in yourself and your abilities as a pilot.
I'm glad he mentioned it now, and maybe he did it on some secret CFI schedule because suddenly I am a LOT more focused while in the cockpit. Airspeed, altitude, rate of climb, turns, patterns, etc., everything is suddenly more important.
Which brings me to my question:
How does a CFI decide when to sign off a student to solo?
I really could care less when I solo (at my age getting my PPL really is about the journey) but I wanted to know what other students and CFI's thought...

I can assure you there is no "secret" cfi schedule. Usually I know when the potential exist for the student to solo but I never make a decision to solo or "predict" a solo to the student until the moment is right, which is usually a mixture of a good "gut" felling and a satisfactory demonstration of skills on a consistant basis. I observe the student to make sure that they are truly safe,and also comfortable in what they are doing. Furthermore I also look for the student to point out mistakes without prompting and identify the proper corrective action i.e( "balloning in the flare") When the above occurs I can tell that the student is thinking about the right things at the right time. The "total package" does not have to be perfect but very good in order for me to initialize a first solo flight.

When you've repeatedly demonstrated you can fly safely with or without the ATC system and we both agree that it's time.

Back