Wheel in the back?

Missa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AsGoodAsCake
No problem...:goofy:

I got my strong x-wind yesterday, and did a passable job. So I got my sign off... now I can ditch the instructor or keep him along for the upside down ride! :D

Missa

Missa said:

I got my strong x-wind yesterday, and did a passable job. So I got my sign off... now I can ditch the instructor or keep him along for the upside down ride! :D

Missa
Upside down, of course! :yes:

Missa said:

Missa

Are ya ready for my Maule strip? 1500x30, corn on one side, telephone junction pole on the other. 2% slope, with trees on the lower end. YEE-HA!

Congrats, and fly safe!

David

MauleSkinner said:
Are ya ready for my Maule strip? 1500x30, corn on one side, telephone junction pole on the other. 2% slope, with trees on the lower end. YEE-HA!

Congrats, and fly safe!

David

Ooo, so where is that??? I may not be brave enought to try it alone but it sure sounds like a challange I'd take with a good instructor in the back covering my 6.

Missa

congrats, missa! you have now joined the rarefied ranks of "real pilots", perks of which include bragging rights and a secret decoder ring. you may now officially refer to tricycle geared aircraft as "nose draggers". welcome to the fold.

blue skies,

Missa said:
Try is just another word for go-around.
Landing the other evening at CRG at sunset, I got there just as a gaggle of students got back and a handful of other airplanes were arriving. The poor controller was struggling to handle 11 airplanes that showed up more or less simultaneously. He shoehorned me into the pattern as #2 to land, having me cut off a twin on long final for 32. Ohhh, I had a bad feeling about it. I offered to extend downwind, but he told me to go ahead and land. I was overtaking the Cessna ahead of me, the twin was overtaking me. So, counting on my generous nature and impeccable stick and rudder skills, the controller asked me if I would break off (from less than 1/4 mile final) and "hook in" (is that in the controller glossary?) to land downwind on an intersecting runway (runway 5). Oooooo-kaaaaaay. I flew a kinda low left downwind, and was barely past the approach numbers when he told me that incoming traffic required me to turn directly for the numbers, cleared to land runway 5. That changed everything from me being rather low and slow to being fast and high. I put in a very aggressive max turning descending slip at idle power right for the numbers, but still ended up too high and fast to land due to the tailwind (290 at 15). Had to go around again, by which time the controller had sorted things out a little better.

So, to get to the point, "try" is indeed "go around."

Last edited:
Ken Ibold said:
So, to get to the point, "try" is indeed "go around."

Ok, dammit, I was just refering to the Yoda quote from one of the Star Wars movies. :dunno:

Although looking at that post beside the plane, it looks pretty "Do, or do not" to me...

Still, Ken, isn't it nice to know that, at your home field, certain controllers develop the confidence (from working you in the past) that you can be offered a mildly aggressive arrival without it being dangerous? I know that I have, lately, been given short approaches when I get home from trips, when I would in the past have been number four behind a gaggle of returning 172s.

I'm at TPA, abeam, and they ask me whether I can accept a short approach- a quick, "yes" (because I anticipated it and am configured and slowed down appropriately), and a smooth (ish) continuous turn to short final, touch on the numbers and off at the second turn off (it is a Bonanza). Kinda cool.

It's the confidence that they can offer you the option, you can accept it, and you can evaluate whether it will work, all without putting anyone at risk.

SCCutler said:
It's the confidence that they can offer you the option, you can accept it, and you can evaluate whether it will work, all without putting anyone at risk.
Agreed, Spike. That's a neat feeling.

Bill Jennings said:
Ok, dammit, I was just refering to the Yoda quote from one of the Star Wars movies. :dunno:

Although looking at that post beside the plane, it looks pretty "Do, or do not" to me...

It all depends on if you have a high wing or a low wing, at that strip
high wing = do
low wing = do not

and that field would fix anyone's centerline problems in an instant

Missa

SCCutler said:

Or, you fly a club plane, and the controller hasn't a clue as to which nut is behind the yoke today...:hairraise:

Bill Jennings said:
Or, you fly a club plane, and the controller hasn't a clue as to which nut is behind the yoke today...:hairraise:
...exactly.
the controllers are so used to all the respectable pilots, then they have to deal with me..I feel for them.:D

Missa said:
The Citabra would look good there. :goofy:

What's the wingspan on the Citabria? the Maule is 28.5 feet ;)

Missa said:
high wing = do
low wing = do not

and that field would fix anyone's centerline problems in an instant

Missa

You shoulda' seen one of the options I had before...900 feet long, no obstacles (except corn on one end), evergreens planted 20 feet apart. Tops brushed the ailerons when I set the tail down. Quit flying into that when the tops brushed the front of the wings...'course, the REAL fear that made me quit that was if I took out one of her trees, my aunt would KILL me ;)

Fly safe!

David

Last edited:
Missa said:
high wing = do
low wing = do not

Missa

I disagree. I'd take my Cherokee in there lightly loaded - after I take a chainsaw in there and cut that pole down.

N2212R said:
I disagree. I'd take my Cherokee in there lightly loaded - after I take a chainsaw in there and cut that pole down.
Aw, learn how to fly, Ed. Simply go past the pole with enough speed to hop over it with a judicious momentary application of full flaps. :D

MauleSkinner said:
What's the wingspan on the Citabria? the Maule is 28.5 feet ;)

Me thinks the Citabra is about 33 feet, a bit longer but that will only matter till the corn is gone.

Missa

Dakota Duce said:
All I can say is.. "You're one whole heck of alot better than I'll ever be!"

Well, time for "True Confessions"...The second year that there was corn next to it, I managed to get my wingtip into it, and it took a LOT of rudder to get it back out...so next year (corn again), I'll have 45 feet ;)

...And Missa, I apologize...I didn't mean to make this thread about me...CONGRATULATIONS on your tailwheel endorsement! :)

Fly safe!

David

MauleSkinner said:
...And Missa, I apologize...I didn't mean to make this thread about me...CONGRATULATIONS on your tailwheel endorsement! :)

Nah, don't worry about it... around here only the best threads get hijacked.

Missa

Missa said:
Nah, don't worry about it... around here only the best threads get hijacked. Missa
Missa, congratulations on your tailwheel achievement! I'm only in my primary training, but my CFI thinks we can get me some stick time in a taildragger before it's all over! (There's a Waco, a Stearman, Aeroncas and other t-draggers on the field, so there's lots of hope to be had!! :D)

etsisk said:
(There's a Waco, a Stearman, Aeroncas and other t-draggers on the field, so there's lots of hope to be had!! :D)

Wish I was in NC!

My brother and I built a grass strip on the family property in 1988. It was 1095ft measured with one of those civil engineering wheel thingies. At the time we couldn't get anymore lenght due to a drainage ditch across one end. One end had a pecan orchard we called a 100ft obstacle. The other end had a powerline. My brother owned a cherokee 160, I had an M4-220 maule. The 160 could not clear either obstacle on a good day. He would depart towards the powerline and go under it. The maule on the other hand could go in or out in either direction. On hot days with a full load them pecans got real close though. When landing the cherokee with a tailwind we landed under the wire. Until we got use to it that was a real pucker to say the least. We lenghtened it to 1900ft in 1990 after fixing the ditch, took down the unused powerline and relocating a road. That strip is home to a 402 and a 602 airtractor now and they use only the best half.

MauleSkinner said:
As long as the picture was so popular, I guess I'll make it my avatar ;)

That IS a great picture!

If I tried to land there, we'd have to rename the airplane International Harvester!

Back