What's your 'student-pilot-time' horror story?

Never had any real horror stories as a student pilot. Called a right downwind at a towered field while in a left hand pattern. Arrived at a fuel stop on a cross country to find the FBO and pumps closed (ten minute hop to the next FBO fixed that).

All my real horror stories happen now, as an incredibly talented seasoned aviator. It is not true that "fat, (dumb), and stupid is no way to go through life." Saves on the occasional "Eff me!" moments.

I had a near miss with a harrier jet while practicing turns around a point. Looked up and noticed a harrier about a mile out, thought it was cool looking in flight and then wondered where the wingman was located. Looked back down at my cell phone tower and found the wingman. Had to be closer than 500 feet since he was between me and the tower....

Was it not just charging after the alt failure discharge?

Actually, after I cycled the master, it displayed that it was charging hard, so in order to bring it back down I turned on practically everything that used power - my instructor was looking for us (I toggled the radio as we got near the pattern and made an advisory) and she couldn't see us on final, then suddenly there was a really bright explosion and there I was :p

Well this one time he also had a big juicy (maybe rare?) burger to go with it, and on the way back his digestive system protested in no uncertain terms. Me being under the hood, I had to keep all the vents open all the way home to not suffocate or get a horrific headache, as he kept apologizing sheepishly. :eek:

Sounds like you were on quite the extended downwind:lol:

My buddy that got me flying told me his DPE was "loaded" and after several ... releases ... told him, "consider THAT you're distraction!".:D

Actually, after I cycled the master, it displayed that it was charging hard, so in order to bring it back down I turned on practically everything that used power - my instructor was looking for us (I toggled the radio as we got near the pattern and made an advisory) and she couldn't see us on final, then suddenly there was a really bright explosion and there I was :p

Why would you want to bring it down? It'll naturally come down as the battery charges.

Why would you want to bring it down? It'll naturally come down as the battery charges.

At the time, I thought that an ammeter charging hard or discharging hard was bad for the battery and tried to lessen the blow both ways. Lower the discharge by turning everything off, lower the charge by turning everything on.

My horror story was on my 2nd solo flight. I had a good approach but
bounced it and made the mistake of pushing the stick forward which
led to porpoising down the runway in sheer terror. I finally got my
wits back and juiced the throttle and started climbing. I was shook up
as I got back into the pattern but managed to calm down and perform
my second approach. It was great until I started porpoising AGAIN.
Now I was freaking out thinking I would never be able to land the
damn airplane. 3rd time around I remembered to just hold off during
the flare....wait....wait......wait......finally touched down and stuck to the runway.

Tower: "76 Charlie would you like to continue or terminate?"
Me: "I absolutely want to terminate, 76 Charlie"
Tower: "ha ha. Taxi via Zulu Kilo and monitor ground"

I imagined the guys in the tower placing money on the console as I
was bouncing down the runway betting whether I would make it or
not without bending the airplane.

Good heavens that could've ended in a disaster.

Victor

My horror story was on my 2nd solo flight. I had a good approach but
bounced it and made the mistake of pushing the stick forward which
led to porpoising down the runway in sheer terror. I finally got my
wits back and juiced the throttle and started climbing. I was shook up
as I got back into the pattern but managed to calm down and perform
my second approach. It was great until I started porpoising AGAIN.
Now I was freaking out thinking I would never be able to land the
damn airplane. 3rd time around I remembered to just hold off during
the flare....wait....wait......wait......finally touched down and stuck to the runway.

Tower: "76 Charlie would you like to continue or terminate?"
Me: "I absolutely want to terminate, 76 Charlie"
Tower: "ha ha. Taxi via Zulu Kilo and monitor ground"

I imagined the guys in the tower placing money on the console as I
was bouncing down the runway betting whether I would make it or
not without bending the airplane.

Good heavens that could've ended in a disaster.

Victor

I bet that controllers at airports with flight schools see just about everything.

Back