What's your story?

iflyplanez

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
iflyplanez
Our school recently posted an article that a student wrote about, when she chose to fly for the rest of her life as a career.

goo.gl/dM5Wik

It brought me back to when I decided I wanted to be a pilot.

What led you flying!?

Momma dropped me on my head the second day home from the hospital. I smacked down right on top of dad's pile of flying magazines. It altered my brain.

I wanted to fly ever since seeing the Blue Angels (and a Vulcan!) fly at the Milwaukee Airshow in the mid 1960s. I was maybe 7 years old.

When I discovered that my nearsightedness would prevent me from flying those F-4 Phantom IIs, I was crushed. It took me another 25 years to figure out how to fly, but at age 35 I earned my ticket, at age 39 I bought my first plane, and since then I have never looked back.

Most people would say I have been "obsessed" with flying ever since, building two aviation themed hotels and virtually living at airports and in the cockpit. I prefer to think of it as a healthy passion. :)

It's fairly impractical to move an airplane from airport to airport using roadways.

I've always grown up going to the air shows with my dad and grandpa.
When I was 12 I visited my great uncle and he took me flying in his stearman biplane.

Hooked ever since but now I'm living my dream after starting training a few months ago.

I think I was born with it...:yes: I remember as a small child laying in the grass watching the contrail in the sky. Move on to building models later on. Join the Air Force to be near planes, but it was a flight with my Air Force roommate, in a C172, that sealed to deal... Join the aero club shortly after and have been flying since...:goofy:

What ever your story, I'd stick to it.

When I was about eight my uncle took us up in his newly-purchased Cessna 180. It was him, one of his kids , my parents, my sister, and I, and I ended up in the far back on the right side. We were flying around looking at property, and suddenly he said, "oh wait; there's one just below us!" and chucked the yoke over to the right. I was squished up against the cabin wall, staring down at about a thousand feet of empty air and the less-than-an-inch of aluminum and plexiglass between me and it, and it scared the living crap out of me. However, rather than being turned off to flying for the rest of my life, I vowed that if ti ever happened again, it would be ME doing the yanking and banking. I've been hooked ever since.

Don't all boys grow up wanting to fly airplanes or drive race cars?? I know I did! :D
I have done both.... maybe I should find a real job for a change....:lol:

Now the important qestion: when you get pulled over for doing triple digits on a public road, do you pull out your pilot's license or racing license? :D Which one works better? (I'd like to know so that I can put that one right under my DL in my wallet)

My grandpa designed, built, raced, repaired, and maintained airplanes for himself and others for pay. He took me flying maybe 6 times when I was between 8 - 10 yrs old. I loved hanging out with him when he was in the hanger working.

He died when I was 10 yrs old and I know I would have been flying myself within 5-6 yrs had he lived. I didn't sit in another small plane til my discovery flight last month when I was 50 yrs old. I've got 6 hrs flight training so far and will be 51 yrs old when I get my certificate.

It's been 40 yrs since he died and I've thought about him very often over the yrs but recently I've been thinking about him everyday and it's a huge source of pain in my heart.

Grandma and grandpa

Watching Pappy Boyington and the Black Sheep squadron as a kid made me want to fly. That's also why I love the F4U Corsair.

Oliver dragged me into the flight school... Was hooked after the first lesson... :)

My inspiration was probably the old TV show "!2 O'Clock High." I've been interested in airplanes all my life.

I've been fascinated by WWII for as long as I have memory, and I can barely recall watching the old shows "Combat" and "12 O'Clock High" when I was barely beyond a toddler. At about age 8 I began building plastic model airplanes, then my dad started taking flying lessons and got his ticket a few years later. Even with all that, I didn't get my ticket until age 42.

14 years as an Aviation Machinist Mate (USN) working on aircraft. Did not get my PPL till age 37, owner for 20 years now. I'm lucky my wife was scared of small planes but with a little coxing she now loves flying and helps me maintain our little Beech.

My father was Royal Air Force bomber command WW2 I was brought up from my earliest memory with talk of airplanes and later assembling plastic models of them as a youngster.
I didn't have the dedication to study and get into the Air Force but the desire to fly never left me and it took me a lifetime to finally be in a position to learn and achieve my dream of being able to say yes I'm a pilot ...

One of my school teachers once gave me a hard time for sitting looking out of the window instead of listening to his lecture, he said, "you'll never get anywhere sat looking out of the window"...

Its a pity he isn't still around, I would like to take him up and show him just how wrong his statement was...

Parents sent me up in a Cessna 172 when I was 12 with their pilot friend. Didn't fly general aviation again until I was 25 after waking up one day thinking I want my pilots license.... Got tired of renting planes that people trashed so I bought my first plane when I was 27.

All. Boys wanted to grow up to be firefighters and pilots did them both and I'm still flying.

Now the important qestion: when you get pulled over for doing triple digits on a public road, do you pull out your pilot's license or racing license? :D Which one works better? (I'd like to know so that I can put that one right under my DL in my wallet)

Actually, way back when the speed limit was 55, I did get out of a ticket because I had a race license. It only worked that one time.... :lol::lol::lol:

The pilot license has never worked..... :nonod:

I could tell you my story but then I'd have to kill you.

Cheers

One day out of the blue I was driving by our airport and I decided to stop at the FBO and ask what it takes to learned to fly. One hour later I was in the air with my instructor. I was hooked!!!

What led you flying!?

In a word...treetops.

I've always wanted to fly...didn't realize that I could actually do it in a plane. :D.

I was given a discovery flight in my mid 40's as a gift and I was a bit nervous and excited. I've always had anxiety while flying commercially and I'm not a drinker, so my trick was to stay up the night before. I would be so deliriously sleepy, I would fall asleep during the flight and would awaken once we landed. I took my discovery flight on a full night's rest, just to see what it was like. I was nervous, that is, until I saw treetops. I have never seen a more beautiful thing than this country of ours from 2-3000 feet. I was sold.

I think this thread is generating flippant answers because there was a thread along these lines recently.

Back