What's wrong with this video?

Ouch!!!. That's why I prefer aluminum. Lets try that gadget on the pilot skin:yikes:

José

Ouch!!!. That's why I prefer aluminum. Lets try that gadget on the pilot skin:yikes:

José

Where did he get the failure criteria for Dacron?

Where did he get the failure criteria for Dacron?

Tom, he clearly stated that this tool was manufactured by one of the UL manufacturers (Quicksilver, IIRC) for use on their dacron sails. He's using it on another brand of near-UL, with similar sails. Since neither a Quicksilver or the other aircraft (I can't remember the brand) is a certified aircraft, he can test the fabric however he wants. But it seems that if a manufacturer went to the trouble of creating this test for this type of sail, why not use it absent better information?

Tom, he clearly stated that this tool was manufactured by one of the UL manufacturers (Quicksilver, IIRC) for use on their dacron sails. He's using it on another brand of near-UL, with similar sails. Since neither a Quicksilver or the other aircraft (I can't remember the brand) is a certified aircraft, he can test the fabric however he wants. But it seems that if a manufacturer went to the trouble of creating this test for this type of sail, why not use it absent better information?

He also mentions the AC 43-13, the stitz process, and the Maule tester.

the 43-13 only talks to cotton. and the stitz process is on Ceconite, and Maule tester is for cotton only.

The Ceconite manual does not give a failure criteria for Ceconite nor does the STC for any of the cenconite processes.

IF Quick Silver or any aircraft manufacturer gives the criteria that is the criteria to follow, but to advocate it is for all dacron process ,,,,, I don't think so.

Last edited:
IF Quick Silver or any aircraft manufacturer gives the criteria that is the criteria to follow, but to advocate it is for all dacron process ,,,,, I don't think so.

He didn't advocate it for other dacron processes. He only discussed in the context of the sails on UL's and other types which use UL type sails.

He didn't advocate it for other dacron processes. He only discussed in the context of the sails on UL's and other types which use UL type sails.
Then why did he mention the AC 43-13 and Stitz? or the Maule tester?

none have any bearing on the subject you believe he was talking about.

Then why did he mention the AC 43-13 and Stitz? or the Maule tester?

For context, Tom. He mentioned a test for certified birds as an aside to his discussion around testing the sailcloth on UL's and near-UL's.

After he introduced himself, his first sentence was WTTE "I'm here to talk about a procedure to test the Dacron sailcloth on your Dacron sailcloth covered airplane." Other than some of the less expensive LSA's, I'm not aware of any Dacron sailcloth certified airplanes. He's obviously not talking about using this method for Champs, Cubs, etc.

For context, Tom. He mentioned a test for certified birds as an aside to his discussion around testing the sailcloth on UL's and near-UL's.

After he introduced himself, his first sentence was WTTE "I'm here to talk about a procedure to test the Dacron sailcloth on your Dacron sailcloth covered airplane." Other than some of the less expensive LSA's, I'm not aware of any Dacron sailcloth certified airplanes. He's obviously not talking about using this method for Champs, Cubs, etc.

I hope not..

Back