Whats with Dr. owned?

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
I saw this ad in AOPA's classifieds. As an airplane purchaser why would I care that the plane was owned by a doctor? I mean would a doctor take better care of his plane than say an accountant or a machinist?

For Sale - Production Single Engine
1968 MOONEY M20G/201 $45,OOO Dr. owned and hangared last 12 years.Looking to upgrade to another Mooney and open to trades .

I saw this ad in AOPA's classifieds. As an airplane purchaser why would I care that the plane was owned by a doctor? I mean would a doctor take better care of his plane than say an accountant or a machinist?

1968 MOONEY M20G/201 $45,OOO Dr. owned and hangared last 12 years.Looking to upgrade to another Mooney and open to trades .

Obviously, the Dr. thinks it's important that he/she/it is a doctor...

If any particular buyer would care is another question altogether.

I don't get it either. Although, doctors are associated with $, and we all know that's what it takes to fly planes. Taking that concept to an extreme, I would rather purchase a plane from someone well off, than someone who is homeless.

Another one that I struggle with is, "same owner for 25 years".

How is this a benefit? Owning something for a long time doesn't mean you've taken good care of it. In fact, maybe the new owner will have to spend major bucks undoing all the ridiculous duct tape repairs that same owner and his pencil pushing mechanic made over the last 25 years.

Dr owned is supposed to represent that there was sufficient funds to keep the aircraft in good condition and that the owner was smart enough to do so. IME, this is not altogether a truth. Most doctors take home income is in the $100-$150K bracket and many are over extended, plus, just like the rest of the human population, 80% of doctors are stupid. He probably just got his last kid out of college which is why he can now afford to upgrade to a newer Mooney.

As for A&P owned, that covers the entire spectrum from "she be right" pencil whipped aircraft that end up at the salvage yard at the next annual to the most perfect, meticulously kept and upgraded aircraft you can imagine. IOW, it means nothing in and of itself.

Over the years I've known a number of physicians who owned and flew airplanes. Based on my observations while watching and flying with some of them, my first question would be "which Doctor?" My interest in being the next owner of the airplane would vary widely, as it would with many other professionals who happen to be pilots.

I guess I would have to say "Hey Doc... I'm just a dumb contractor but the 201 was a M20J and it was first build in 1976.... so maybe you need to go back to school and figure out whats ya got":wink2:

I guess I would have to say "Hey Doc... I'm just a dumb contractor but the 201 was a M20J and it was first build in 1976.... so maybe you need to go back to school and figure out whats ya got":wink2:
LOL

Some ads really make you wonder.

Name of the manufacturer spelled wrong.

"Non-pilots need not call"

$150,000 airplane and they won't spend $10 for a photo.

Same owner for many years can be positive. At least you know who had it and can ask how it was operated; talk to long term mechanic. Much more difficult to figure things out when there were several owners and mechanics over the years, many of which may not even be reachable now.
It's not always good, but you can get to the bottom of things easier.

Best,

Dave

Well, in this case, it's probably M20G retrofitted with some certain 201 parts. I think those include windshield and belly/cowl pieces, IIRC, to give the older ones some of the speed advantages of the 201-series.

Well, in this case, it's probably M20G retrofitted with some certain 201 parts. I think those include windshield and belly/cowl pieces, IIRC, to give the older ones some of the speed advantages of the 201-series.

Just because you paint 201 on the tail doesn't make it a 201. :cornut:

But if all that detail was in the ad, there wouldn't be enough room to put in "Dr. Owned" without paying another $10.

I think it means it was never flown. If it was flown by a doctor, he would have crashed it. Remember the old 'Doctor and the V-tail' line?

-Lloyd

A boatload more than I could find on your plane, since you don't own one. Easy to take pot shots from the peanut gallery.

It's not a pot shot, there's not an airplane in existence that I can't find at least a couple of discrepancies with on a quick walk around. None of them are perfect, Dr owned or not.

Doctor of what? I hate it when my students call me "Dr. Myers." How about "professor owned" or "cellist owned?" Wow. Yeah, those sound impressive.

How about "a+p owned", how do you take that?!

Depends on the A&P.

Heck, I've seen completely different workmanship and performance on different planes from the SAME A&P, so it's wildly variable.

Bottom line: Look at the plane. What the owner does for a living means less than zero.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back