What's up with IFR congestion @ KHHR?

AA5Bman

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
He who ironically no longer flies an AA5B
Do any of you Los Angeles area pilots out there in POA-land know anything aobut the IFR delays I keep getting trying to get into KHHR?

Flying back from Santa Barbara recently on a perfectly clear night I was told to expect a 45 minute hold over LIMBO (I cancelled IFR clearing the Bravo). Last night I was told more or less the same thing (but didn't cancel and didn't get the hold, either), and I've had trouble off and on at various times over the last couple of months.

I recently talked with one of the SoCal approach controllers and he said the delays are due to the proximity of LAX's ILS and HHR's Loc approach paths, and that they can't run concurrent approaches (the approaches are basically parallel, but they're probably a mile apart and the GS's are much different - at HHR's MAP, the jets on LAX's ILS are still probably at 2,000 feet). He said they were trying to get a waiver so they can run the approaches at the same time, but had no idea about when that would happen.

It's got me frustrated enough to seriously consider moving to a different airport, but I can't figure out one that really works for me. Has anyone out there had this experience, know anything about that waiver, or have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

MB

Ran across this thread on google. :) I know it's ancient.

It's getting worse. I got released from MYF last week, flew the filed, then when I got the handoff over SLI I was told "we can't get you into HHR, how about Long Beach?" My alternate was TOA and ceiling was 1800'. I'd have been on the approach for all of about 5 minutes before going visual.

I protested that I was based at HHR, filed for HHR, released to fly to HHR, and expected to land at HHR -- all of it fell on deaf ears. He said "LAX is under flow control" -- which I knew. What I do not know is how to get into HHR when LAX is under flow control. It is now an impossibility. I file my plans early, etc etc., and have no problem doing whatever bureaucratic monkeyshines are required to "fit in the system"

Since he wasn't budging, I asked him to send me on a vector and get me down to 1800 feet and I'd cancel. He sent me west offshore over san pedro harbor. At 1800 I cancelled and asked for flight following to HHR for the last 20 miles. He said "cancellation received, squawk 1200" -- and basically what I received as "F off" -- I had to bounce tower transitions at 1800' from san pedro to HHR... something I wasn't setup for, as I had planned on the approach to HHR... you know, like I had filed.

I haven't felt so insignificant in the system in awhile. The worst part is, the controllers are neither helpful or apologetic, and I am unaware of what channels I have to even learn the "best practice" now for arriving to that airport.

$0.02. Didn't see the AA5 there today, hope you were out flyin :/

- Mike

I'd write my CongressCritter. Really.

I thought GA was getting in the way of the airlines, making all those planes late and their lavatories overflow. That's what they keep telling me. How can this be? GA, not getting the same level of service, or better, than the airlines???:wink2:

Back