What's the nearest liquor store to the North 40?

MSPAviator

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
MSPAviator
Just planning my trip to Oshkosh this year. :D

I will have a bicycle and a backpack. Probably faster than riding the bus.

Just planning my trip to Oshkosh this year. :D

I will have a bicycle and a backpack. Probably faster than riding the bus.

There are two full service grocery stores 500 yards from the NW corner of the N.40.

Google Maps! It's a wonderful thing. ;)

Last edited:
Yep in Wisconsin you can buy hard liquor in the grocery stores.
I think the closest to that end of the field is the Pick n Save.

NOTE: Alcohol sales STOP by law at 9PM regardless of the store hours.

Last edited:
West End pizza just north of the field also. :yes:

Okay pizza, cold beer, questionable health code adherence, close.

Make sure you watch them pour your beer. I have seen them dump left over beer into a pitcher and serve it. No, I am not kidding. :eek:

Last edited:

Good to know. Wisconsin has significantly lower alcohol taxes than Minnesota so I plan on stocking up a little bit before I leave too. :D

Yep, Pick N Save is usually our first stop, after setting up our campsite. They have a walk-in beer cooler, with an excellent selection.
:D

Ok, I have been wondering about this lately. How many states have these weird draconian liquor laws. I have been doing a lot of traveling in PA, NC and now VA lately and also Idaho, in the past. They all have state run liquor stores. I live in CA, where every grocery store sells anything you want and are open 7 days a week (I think they do stop selling at 2:00 am, though). It is not like it really puts me out, but other than generate revenue for the state, what is the actual benefit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spent the driest week of my life in suburban Pennsylvania. They have special stores for beer and wine, and other special stores for hard liquor.

Ok, I have been wondering about this lately. How many states have these weird draconian liquor laws. I have been doing a lot of traveling in PA, NC and now VA lately and also Idaho, in the past. They all have state run liquor stores. I live in CA, where every grocery store sells anything you want and are open 7 days a week (I think they do stop selling at 2:00 am, though). It is not like it really puts me out, but other than generate revenue for the state, what is the actual.

Nothing could top Utah (or Texas) in the old days. Buy booze outside the door of the bar, pay for a mixer in the bar and turn over your bottle, have somebody pour your booze into your mixer (or glass of ice) and drink. :rolleyes:

IIRC, in UT, you had to be seated at a table to drink your own booze. If you were standing, no liquor even if it was actually yours that you just bought and brought into the bar.

Ohio used to have state operated liquor stores but now there are private stores like groceries, stop and robs, etc that get a state license to sell liquor. SC And UT still have state run stores.

Cheers

Last edited:
Nothing could top Utah (or Texas) in the old days. Buy booze outside the door of the bar, pay for a mixer in the bar and turn over your bottle, have somebody pour your booze into your mixer (or glass of ice) and drink. :rolleyes:

IIRC, in UT, you had to be seated at a table to drink your own booze. If you were standing, no liquor even if it was actually yours that you just bought and brought into the bar.

Ohio used to have state operated liquor stores but now there are private stores like groceries, stop and robs, etc that get a state license to sell liquor. SC And UT still have state run stores.

Cheers

Yes, I have been to Utah quite a bit too. I remember having to join a "social club" at the hotel, to have a drink at the bar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cheers

We used to joke that we were card carrying Texas drunks.

I think it was $5.00 and you got a card.

Moving to SC this weekend, Ahh the mini-bottle days. The red dots are still around though.

Back