What's the best argument for owning a certificated aircraft?

There is a 310 at an airport where I own a hangar that taxis at least 40 MPH. The taxiways are 30' wide with 15' aprons on each side for the buildings. He goes by your door so fast you get wake turbulence in your hangar.

Anyway, the interesting thing is that he believes if he hits something or someone it will be their fault since they are on an airport and he is an aircraft with the right-of-way.

I wonder what the FAA would say?

There is a 310 at an airport where I own a hangar that taxis at least 40 MPH. The taxiways are 30' wide with 15' aprons on each side for the buildings. He goes by your door so fast you get wake turbulence in your hangar.

Anyway, the interesting thing is that he believes if he hits something or someone it will be their fault since they are on an airport and he is an aircraft with the right-of-way.

What regulation has he violated?

What regulation has he violated?

Everyone should know, I'm not the guy to argue regulations and I know there isn't anything prescriptive for taxi speed. I lumped it into something like:

91.13 No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

If he hits someone's car, or kid, or dog, etc. because they come out of their hangar just as he wizzes by... in my humble, non-official, not even well educated opinion, one could easily argue he was un-safe.

What say you?

Everyone should know, I'm not the guy to argue regulations and I know there isn't anything prescriptive for taxi speed. I lumped it into something like:

91.13 No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

If he hits someone's car, or kid, or dog, etc. because they come out of their hangar just as he wizzes by... in my humble, non-official, not even well educated opinion, one could easily argue he was un-safe.

What say you?

The argument would be in civil court and the counter argument is that you should look both ways before stepping across the highway.

What say you?

The key word is "if".

As far as the FAA is concerned, if a complaint was made or an Inspector witnessed the action then this would call for perhaps a verbal counseling. Beyond that an enforcement is highly unlikely without an incident occurring.

The key word is "if".

As far as the FAA is concerned, if a complaint was made or an Inspector witnessed the action then this would call for perhaps a verbal counseling. Beyond that an enforcement is highly unlikely without an incident occurring.

"If" a child came running out of their hangar home onto their (private property) apron and was stuck by his wingtip and badly injured? It would seem like common sense that in a small tight taxiway with cars, pets, children, running around all the time one would taxi a little slower than at DFW.:dunno:

I've always felt pilots operating an aircraft should be held to a higher standard of common sense.

What's the corresponding rule for street traffic in a residential neighborhood? How should a taxi speed limit be defined for airplanes? How much time do you spend looking a speed indicator while taxiing?

"If" a child came running out of their hangar home onto their (private property) apron and was stuck by his wingtip and badly injured? It would seem like common sense that in a small tight taxiway with cars, pets, children, running around all the time one would taxi a little slower than at DFW.:dunno:

I've always felt pilots operating an aircraft should be held to a higher standard of common sense.

Nothing. A 310 is a type certificated aircraft and, therefor, safe.

How much time do you spend looking a speed indicator while taxiing?

Since I fly a TAA aircraft I always taxi on the gauges. :D

OK, I give on the taxi issue. Seems obviously stupid to me, but no one asked me either, so I'll drop it.

I see nothing in this rule that says you must hurt some one to be violated.

I see nothing in this rule that says you must hurt some one to be violated.

If you're rolling down the yellow line in a movement area, what is careless or reckless?

If you're rolling down the yellow line in a movement area, what is careless or reckless?

That will be in the opinion of the FAA agent that see's you.

This is clearly non-movement. Tiny little airport, no tower. Last row of hangars from the runway. Also, the road by which everyone is coming and going in cars, walking dogs, skate boarding, pilots sitting out front telling about the time they landed a 150 with 3 inches of ice in a 30 knot direct cross, etc.

I can't believe how much we are discussing common sense. Must have been too much nog in the egg nog yesterday.

The key word is "if".

Lots of cell phones that'll shoot video these days.

Bring it to the attention of airport management. If you feel they are ignoring it then send them a written letter confirmed delivery. If you are crazy they will ignore it if there is an issue they will pressure him to slow down.

4. Is it difficult to inspect experimentals for manufacturing defects and therefore they're less desirable?

Please understand, I am not talking about cutting corners with safety or performance.

A new reason for owning a production built aircraft came to my attention when I was told by the buyer of the Fairchild that Experimental aircraft were not allowed to fly in Italy.

So, if you are into selling them your market is reduced.

A new reason for owning a production built aircraft came to my attention when I was told by the buyer of the Fairchild that Experimental aircraft were not allowed to fly in Italy.

So, if you are into selling them your market is reduced.

A long time friend of mine recently sold 2 experimental aircraft that were shipped to Italy to be used there.

Guess these guys are doing it illegally: http://www.aeromedia.it/cap2kgb.html

Last edited:
A long time friend of mine recently sold 2 experimental aircraft that were shipped to Italy to be used there.

Guess these guys are doing it illegally: http://www.aeromedia.it/cap2kgb.html

To quote the E-mail

why it's registred experimental ?
It can be a problem, as experimental built outside of Europe are not allowed to fly here.
Do you think is possible to register it with a Standard Airworthiness ?

You see the FAA records show the 24 as a EXP. but it really does have a standard airworthiness certificate.

I am no authority on Italy's rules but I bet he is, as he is a certified mechanic in Italy.

Bring it to the attention of airport management. If you feel they are ignoring it then send them a written letter confirmed delivery. If you are crazy they will ignore it if there is an issue they will pressure him to slow down.

Thanks for the advice. Chances are I'm probably just crazy.

Lots of cell phones that'll shoot video these days.

So you take your cell phone down to the FAA and say "Here's my evidence!, Go get him!"

The Inspector is going to need a copy of the video, preferably with a time and date stamp. He will also need a written and signed complaint by you with your contact information (name, address, email, phone number). Also the Inspector will probably collect your pilot information (certificate numbers) as well.

The video will clearly have to show the pilots face for proof it was him operating the airplane.

Who/What/When/Where/Why are the questions that have to be answered before proceeding.

Still want to do it?

So you take your cell phone down to the FAA and say "Here's my evidence!, Go get him!"

The Inspector is going to need a copy of the video, preferably with a time and date stamp. He will also need a written and signed complaint by you with your contact information (name, address, email, phone number). Also the Inspector will probably collect your pilot information (certificate numbers) as well.

The video will clearly have to show the pilots face for proof it was him operating the airplane.

Who/What/When/Where/Why are the questions that have to be answered before proceeding.

Still want to do it?

I've decided to just back out in my priceless, collectable, irreplaceable, 1979 Gremlin just as he passes. If he so much as scratches my baby with that 310 I'll sue him into the stone age.

This is what my South Ft. Worth attorney advises.:dunno:

I've decided to just back out in my priceless, collectable, irreplaceable, 1979 Gremlin just as he passes. If he so much as scratches my baby with that 310 I'll sue him into the stone age.

This is what my South Ft. Worth attorney advises.:dunno:

Having some familiarity with the Gremlin, it is much more likely the Gremlin will not suffer a scratch whilst the 310 will be crumbled into a tin can. Solves "the problem" but not as you expected. :D

Cheers

..... How about you fly down to Baggs so I can check out the Red Rocket?

My schedule is pretty booked up for the next few days. I will try to get down there ASAP though...

Ps... last time I was down in that area we were looking for a Cirrus with two guys on board..... We found the chute about 5 miles from the plane... Seems he pulled the laundry at about 300MPH..:eek::hairraise::sad::sad:

Back