What's new in the past 6 years?

Vinny

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cousin Vinny
Hey all,

I just got my medical back (thanks Dr. Bruce!) and am ready to get back in the air -- but not until it warms up a little here in Chiberia -- for the first time since late 2007. I used to be based in mid-Missouri before I moved here.

There's a lot of rust I need to shake off, to be sure (from both a VFR and IFR standpoint), plus learning how to navigate the Chicago area in a GA aircraft, so I can see needing several hours of ground school as well as dual before I'll feel comfortable again.

My question to you, PoAers, is what changes in the rules have there been in the past 6 years that you find of particular significance? I can reread parts 61 and 91 (and undoubtedly will), but I was wondering what y'all's opinion (and I know, that's a dangerous ask around here) is of the biggest game changers in GA, from both a regulatory aspect as well as cultural/economic/etc. aspects. Because honestly, I haven't really kept up with the GA world while I was on hiatus.

Cost and whining continue to climb, so nothing new. Welcome back.

As Ron pointed out the AOPA page is really well thought-out.

Changes from 2007 to 2013:

• Pilot's Bill of Rights
  • Aircraft Re-registration
  • Line up and Wait
  • Taxi clearance - Cross only one runway at a time
  • eAPIS
  • ELTs
  • Medical Certificate Validity Revision
Probably the biggest "I'm in the airplane, what's changed?" items are "line up and wait" replacing "position and hold" and the taxi clearances. Some further reading might be TIS going away, ADS-B coming in, Foreflight (or other apps) and handheld GPS enabled smartphones and tablets, more magenta lines than you can shake a stick at, IFR T-routes being added, GPS approaches everywhere, WAAS and glass cockpits everywhere, light-sport aircraft, etc.

Is anybody using FSS en route anymore? All I heard was that Lockheed Martin has been a disaster on that front.

I used flight-watch a little while ago, no issues, worked great. I've never had a problem with the Lockheed Martin crew personally.

Back