Whats left of my hanger!!

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
We had some straight line winds come through this afternoon and it took the roof off the shade hanger I keep my plane in. The awos showed a gust of 83kts. Took the roof and put it two hangers over. There were 7 planes in it and only minor damage to two of them. I had one small dent and some scratches from a support cable that fell across the tail.

Attachments

• hanger2.JPG
    hanger2.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Unknown.JPG
    Unknown.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 53
Glad your plane is somewhat ok. We had straightline winds go through RDU in 2004 and man it was an aweful sight. Sorry about your hangar though.

Geesh Dean.

Glad eveything is working out as far as the plane. How difficult will it be to get the cover back up?

The local news is full of pics of damage to Gainesville airport GLE, just north of me. It's where I have my plane worked on. My A-36 was just north of there; I'll have to wait until Monday to see if there was a problem; up by OK City.

Dave

They will most likely have to tear whats left down and start over. May be months before its back up. There is a hanger that is rented, but the plane is in the shop for a major rebuild. I am trying to get a hold of the owner know to see if I can use it until his is back. The only other airport around with vacancy is 45 minutes south and they only have 3 open.

sorry to hear it Dean
As a student of engineering disasters, can you tell me if there were doors on all sides, and if so, did they go first (or do you suspect they did not hold firm before the buildings blewout)?

We had a microburst ~7 yrs ago and it only damaged buildings that were closed on 3 sides. The wind was directed right into the open 4th side and lifted the entire building intact, yanking the 5" thick-walled steel pipe and concrete out of the ground flipping the building over. Immense power, but somehow the cub inside had minor scratches!

Also, were there any buildings on the upwind side of the damage we see?

Wow! Dean, I'm glad your airplane is OK! This weather lately has been tough on hangars and airplanes.

Let'sgoflying! said:
sorry to hear it Dean
As a student of engineering disasters, can you tell me if there were doors on all sides, and if so, did they go first (or do you suspect they did not hold firm before the buildings blewout)?

We had a microburst ~7 yrs ago and it only damaged buildings that were closed on 3 sides. The wind was directed right into the open 4th side and lifted the entire building intact, yanking the 5" thick-walled steel pipe and concrete out of the ground flipping the building over. Immense power, but somehow the cub inside had minor scratches!

Also, were there any buildings on the upwind side of the damage we see?
I think Dean said it was just a sun shelter (no walls). Perhaps the new roof can include some lift spoilers? Anyway I'm glad the airplanes were mostly untouched.

Same thing happend when I was younger.

For Dave:
hangar.jpg

I was in front of Door A with my dad. It started to essentially bend and pull out and then push back in..at a pretty rapid speed. There was a crude hole in the divider (door B) that my dad cut with a chainsaw the week before. We ran into the second hangar. That door was doing the same thing. We just took cover in that hangar..and watched Door C get sucked off. Followed by the roof.

Stearman was behind Door D..it was carried about 50 feet and flipped upside down.
theend.jpg

The wind just rips through my old wooden community hangar all of the time. It is fully enclosed but the doors fit loosley with short lengths of chain closing them so they flap a bit to relieve the pressure. I figure it's been standing there for 50+ years so it should continue but looking at those pictures, I dunno. There's a Stearman at the other end, an R22, and 6-8 of us with mere Pipers and Cessnas.

Dean,

We your pain. I'm really sorry about the hangar and the damage to your airplane. Glad the airplane damage wasn't any worse.

Chip

This has not been my day. After I got off work at ten, I went back out to the airport to check the plane again and check the ropes. When I got home a gust of wind took down a big Oak tree in my back yard and it hit the roof and landed dead center of my ATV and crushed it like a bug. Pictures of it to be posted tomorrow, if I survive the night.:dunno:

lancefisher said:
I think Dean said it was just a sun shelter (no walls). Perhaps the new roof can include some lift spoilers? Anyway I'm glad the airplanes were mostly untouched.

Open hanger, no doors and no interior walls. Witness said the roof went straight up about 60' and then landed 200' north between two other hangers.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Pictures??
Function???

While I've never seen the idea applied to a hangar roof, the attached picture shows them on the wing of an airplane (Kennon wing covers). The idea is to break up the airflow over the wings (or roof) so that significant lift isn't produced in the wind.

Attachments

• winspois.jpg
    winspois.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 44
Dean said:
Open hanger, no doors and no interior walls. Witness said the roof went straight up about 60' and then landed 200' north between two other hangers.

Ah. Hurricane straps maybe.

mikea said:
The wind just rips through my old wooden community hangar all of the time. It is fully enclosed but the doors fit loosley with short lengths of chain closing them so they flap a bit to relieve the pressure. I figure it's been standing there for 50+ years so it should continue but looking at those pictures, I dunno. There's a Stearman at the other end, an R22, and 6-8 of us with mere Pipers and Cessnas.

A few miles west of you at 10C we have basically the same kind of set up in the old hangers. My hanger also has steel walls and a ceiling attached to the polls that hold the rest of the hangers up. I have a private stall instead of the community type of hanger. I keep hoping that if the hanger comes down my little box will provide some added safety.

Dean said:
This has not been my day. After I got off work at ten, I went back out to the airport to check the plane again and check the ropes. When I got home a gust of wind took down a big Oak tree in my back yard and it hit the roof and landed dead center of my ATV and crushed it like a bug. Pictures of it to be posted tomorrow, if I survive the night.:dunno:
Dean, you sure are having more than your share of bad luck! Is there much damage to your house?

Ugly weekend. I suppose everybody also saw the pictures of the airport at Gainesville, TX. Looked like a couple of Gooney Birds got tossed around....

Well we did a better inspection of the plane and found more damage, it will be in the hands of the adjuster now. Here is the picture of my crushed atv as promised.

Attachments

• atv.JPG
    atv.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 36
Back