What's in your flight bag?

joycem137

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Robin
Just got my ticket yesterday, and am reorganizing my flight bag to convert from "student" mode to "private pilot" mode. I'm sure I'll figure out what's going to be useful for me as I go on, but I was wondering what other pilots keep in their bags. What tools/gadgets they find useful, usually. Here's my gear at present:

- iPad
- 2 noise canceling headsets (For flying with a friend.)
- spare batteries for the headsets and iPad.
- Current AF/D and sectionals in case the iPad fails.
- Passenger comfort case containing tissues, dramamine, ginger anti-nausea candies, and chewing gum
- Barf bags.
- Male/female emergency urinals
- Red/white flashlight
- pens/pencils
- Logbook
- Medical
- License

I think that's it. What do you bring?

Last edited:
-GPS
-Headset
-Checklist
-Pens/Paper
-Flashlight
-Batteries
-current AFD and chart
-Insurance
-License/Medical
-Logbook
-dipstick (calibrated for C152, C152 LongRangeTanks, C172)

Then I have another bag in the trunk of my car, with passenger headset, extra oil, wrench, rags, additional sectionals. The extra bag also, keeps my "flying hat" and "flying sunglasses".

iPad
dipstick
kneeboard
pens
flashlights
batteries (for headset and flashlights)
In the plane we have a few charts for backup along with checklist, etc.

Barf bags are a good idea.

I have NEVER bothered with portable urinals, as I don't trust any first time flyer -- nor myself -- not to pee on the ceiling. Taking a whiz is on the preflight checklist. And as you know, most of the planes are throwing distance from a port-a-potty.

The only thing that really changes for you as a PP-ASEL is that it is no longer required (and generally not recommended) for you to have your logbook on you, unless you are receiving dual training. Absolutely current sectionals and/or A/FD is only required for one very specific flight -- through the special flight rules area over LAX. If these are backups, they can be a little expired, but I wouldn't suggest using one from 2003. Presuming you religiously keep your iPad up to date and carefully charged.

Something obvious that's missing is batteries for the flashlight. Some say a flashlight is a storage device for dead batteries....if you don't fly at night much, that's a real possibility.

There is extra equipment for hostile terrain. The rule of thumb is to carry -- and preferably wear -- what you might spend the night in if something went wrong. That's particularly important flying over remote terrain in winter, or over the desert even in summer. Some people like to carry PLBs. Cell phones may work from mountaintops, but not usually remote valleys, unless a major highway or town is nearby.

I always carry my homemade checklist for the aircraft in question, plus a small plotter. If you can see landmarks, a plotter is never necessary. But now it's legal for you to overfly an undercast, and you might need it for a ded reckoning diversion if the power fails.

REALLY important, particularly if you're going to high altitude cruise, or if it's just crazy hot out, is WATER. I like to carry 500 mL per person per hour, but if someone actually drinks that much, you're likely going to have to divert to water a bush (yes, women can do that, too, but it takes practice to keep your shoes clean). Dehydration dramatically worsens hypoxia. A well hydrated person might make it to 14,000 or higher with no ill effects, but fall asleep at 8000 after going two hours at altitude with no water.

Last edited:
I own my own plane so my bag stays with the plane. Some stuff travels with me however.

In the plane, or in the bag:

multiple flash lights(3 small ones with red and white lights and one large one)
current paper sectional, IFR low enroute, AF/D, approach charts
multiple double A, and triple A and D batteries,
required paperwork
headsets
barf bags
SD cards for G1000
certificate/medical
clipboard, and velcro straps
multiple pads
multiple pens
sunglasses
first aid kit
windshield cleaner, and microfiber towel
GATTS
dipstick
required airplane books(POH, G1000 guide, etc)
checklists
I am sure I forgot something

With me traveling
Wallet
Cell phones
My Hero Cameras
Ipad(for internet access to check weather)
flight plan and printed weather outlook(for cross country)
I am sure I forgot something

MAKG1, you're so very helpful. Thanks for all the input! :)

I have NEVER bothered with portable urinals, as I don't trust any first time flyer -- nor myself -- not to pee on the ceiling. Taking a whiz is on the preflight checklist. And as you know, most of the planes are throwing distance from a port-a-potty.

True, but I've got friends with bladder problems, and even if they go before we leave, they may need to go again en route, and I'd rather have something they *might* be able to use rather than relying on them being able to hold it until we can land.

Something obvious that's missing is batteries for the flashlight. Some say a flashlight is a storage device for dead batteries....if you don't fly at night much, that's a real possibility.

I have my iPhone flashlight handle all the time, but this is a really good idea, as I don't want to rely on its rapidly drained battery.

There is extra equipment for hostile terrain. The rule of thumb is to carry -- and preferably wear -- what you might spend the night in if something went wrong. That's particularly important flying over remote terrain in winter, or over the desert even in summer. Some people like to carry PLBs. Cell phones may work from mountaintops, but not usually remote valleys, unless a major highway or town is nearby.

What about a cheap transceiver?

REALLY important, particularly if you're going to high altitude cruise, or if it's just crazy hot out, is WATER. I like to carry 500 mL per person per hour, but if someone actually drinks that much, you're likely going to have to divert to water a bush (yes, women can do that, too, but it takes practice to keep your shoes clean).

Good thoughts!

MAKG1, you're so very helpful. Thanks for all the input! :)
Glad to help. There's great flying around here, so enjoy it.

What about a cheap transceiver?
For getting stuck in BFE? You might as well bring a paperweight. When I met Sac Arrow at Boonville and he was on his portable transceiver, I had trouble understanding him from the pattern (he was at transient parking, near the arrival threshold), and even taxiing on the runway. These are really only useful for contacting Tower after a radio failure or for asking Ground for clearance to walk or drive across the movement areas.

Last edited:
In addition to the OP list add:
-iPad charging cable
-iPad 120v charger
-iPad 12v cig lighter charger
-13000 mah backup batter for iPad
-Kneeboard strap for iPad
-RAM mount for iPad
-Padded kneeboard with E6B and mini plotter (both over 30 years old!)
-THREE small flashlights and lots of batteries
-Fuel sampler
-Handheld comm
-Disposable, fold-up rain poncho
-Spare airplane keys
-Multiple pens

Glad to help. There's great flying around here, so enjoy it.

For getting stuck in BFE? You might as well bring a paperweight. When I met Aeric at Boonville and he was on his portable transceiver, I had trouble understanding him from the pattern (he was at transient parking, near the arrival threshold), and even taxiing on the runway. These are really only useful for contacting Tower after a radio failure or for asking Ground for clearance to walk or drive across the movement areas.
IIRC cost me about $200 for me to put a separate attenae on my plane solely for the use of my portable radio/transceiver. It works nearly as well as my in panel radios, but not as convenient of course. Forgot that on my list. It stays in the plane and once a month or after use(never for real radio loss, just practice)I charge it up.

- Headset (one so far)
- iPad
- iPad kneeboard (until I get a mini and yoke mount)
- iPhone 4 (backup to my ipad and GPS for driving)
- Two flashlights and batteries
- Knife
- Pens/pencils
- Logbook
- Sectional (as a backup)
- Tissues
- Hand sanitizer
And of course, license and medical.

I hope to own one day and would be able to keep a lot of stuff in the plane.

Last edited:
I keep my glider in my flight bag. Even cooler the bag flips round to be the fuselage.:wink2:

-Fifth of Jack
-Big fat pre-rolled blunt
-Bag of endo weed, rolling papers
-A few slices of cold pepperoni pizza wrapped in foil
-Cash money
-Spanish/English dictionary
-Leopard pattern boxer shorts
-Portable CD player
-Couple Barry White CD's
-1 each Red and blue bandana (never know which one you may need)

-Fifth of Jack
-Big fat pre-rolled blunt
-Bag of endo weed, rolling papers
-A few slices of cold pepperoni pizza wrapped in foil
-Cash money
-Spanish/English dictionary
-Leopard pattern boxer shorts
-Portable CD player
-Couple Barry White CD's
-1 each Red and blue bandana (never know which one you may need)
No Speedos? or is that what the bandanas are for.

Last edited:
Just got my ticket yesterday, and am reorganizing my flight bag to convert from "student" mode to "private pilot" mode. I'm sure I'll figure out what's going to be useful for me as I go on, but I was wondering what other pilots keep in their bags. What tools/gadgets they find useful, usually. Here's my gear at present:

- iPad
- 2 noise canceling headsets (For flying with a friend.)
- spare batteries for the headsets and iPad.
- Current AF/D and sectionals in case the iPad fails.
- Passenger comfort case containing tissues, dramamine, ginger anti-nausea candies, and chewing gum
- Barf bags.
- Male/female emergency urinals
- Red/white flashlight
- pens/pencils
- Logbook
- Medical
- License

I think that's it. What do you bring?

VFR day local... iPad, iPad charging cable (12V aircraft with a cigar plug... not all have that), headset, kneeboard. Kneeboard has my favorite mechanical pencil and a couple of cheap pens in it at all times.

If I feel like more, the Brightline has...

- Multiple flashlights. Two or three depending on if I've stolen one out of the bag recently.
- A couple of extra AA batteries for flashlights that usually get used by someone for something else, since with more than one flashlight, one is never dead.
- Cheap Home Depot Red/White headlamp. (Way better than flashlights.)
- Extra pair of prescription sunglasses (and now that I haven't broken a pair in a while, probably non-sunglasses too).
- Foggles (you never know when someone might be willing to play safety pilot or if you need to block out the distracting cloud tops IFR). If planning serious hood work, a real hood gets clipped to the bag handle on the way out the door, but the foggles stay in there.
- Microfiber cloth to clean glasses. Not that I remember... and wonder why I have my own self-induced "traffic"... LOL.
- Extra headset (just happens to be in there...)
- Fuel tester (there's one in the plane, but since I have one and the bag has a pocket for it...)
- Checkbook. (Seriously. Can't count how many times I've realized I left the checkbook at home and needed to write one in aviation... it's about the only place I need paper anymore.
- Old or new VFR charts if I have them for the area. (Old habit dies hard...)
- Chart plotter for the above.
- Cheap thin light E6B. Yeah, really.
- Audio patch cable for iPad/recording device.
- Tascam digital audio recorder.
- Barf bag(s). In an outside accessible (always) pocket.
- Leatherman tool. Old style, nothing fancy. When you need one they're great.
- Kitchen timer thingy for approaches.

Medical/License stay on me in my wallet. Logbook is at home unless it needs to be at the airport, and even then it's probably not going flying. Log it on iPad/iPhone and transfer later.

$10 in quarters.
$10 in $1 bills.
Another $50 in the headset bag.
AMEX card.
Visa card.
Lawyers phone number on speed dial on my cell phone.
Clean underwear & toothbrush. Amazing how better you feel if you're stuck overnight someplace if you have a change of underwear.

On me:
-Leatherman (Squirt PS4)
-Phone (with extra battery)
-Certificate/Medical/Photo ID in wallet
-Microfiber cleaning cloth
-Nexus 7 with FltPlan.com

In the bag (the black freebie from AOPA with the compartments):
-Clarity Aloft headset (absolutely amazing)
-Sectional/TAC (backup is on the tablet)
-Sic-Sacs (shopping bags do NOT work)
-LED white flashlight (freebie from Harbor Freight)
-Small flashlight with red gel in the lens (cheapie from Home Depot's stocking stuffer section at Christmastime)
-Extra batteries for said flashlights
-Pilot Chews
-The Best IFR Hood (seriously, that's what it's called)
-Logbook (some flights are spur of the moment and sometimes are dual)
-Old school metal E6B (relic from training; real world use is an app on my phone)
-Folding plotter (only kind that fits)
-First Aid kit (basic one from the camping section at Target)
-White glow sticks (the good ones that last for days)
-Survival blanket
-Stormproof matches

A lot of the stuff are relics from my cross-country flying days working on Commercial.

Last edited:
In my plane in immediate reach (I don't have a flight bag anymore). A note, critical items have a backup. Two is one, one is none.
VFR day local... iPad, iPad charging cable (12V aircraft with a cigar plug... not all have that), headset...

This, plus: Local TAC Chart and local sectional. Usually replaced twice a year. So I don't need the IPad for local flights. Also emergency backup WACs for the lower 48, replaced once a year.

Four pens, two mechanical pencils.

- Multiple flashlights. Two or three depending on if I've stolen one out of the bag recently.
- A couple of extra AA batteries for flashlights that usually get used by someone for something else, since with more than one flashlight, one is never dead.
- Cheap Home Depot Red/White headlamp. (Way better than flashlights.)
Two flashlights. Two is one, one is none. Spare batteries *outside* the flashlights.

- Microfiber cloth to clean glasses. Not that I remember... and wonder why I have my own self-induced "traffic"... LOL.
Yes.

- Extra headset (just happens to be in there...)
- Checkbook.
Yes. For emergency repairs, unexpected dual. Also needed fuel and the FBO's credit card machine was down. They were sending bills to people, and gave me a nice discount for paying right there.

- Cheap thin light E6B. Yeah, really.
Yes. Big one, for my poor eyes.

- Barf bag(s).
- Leatherman tool. Old style, nothing fancy. When you need one they're great.
Yes and yes. Especially if the top latch on a PA28 strips or breaks off while you're in the plane.

Medical/License stay on me in my wallet.

Yes

plus spare batteries for the headset.
Two notepads. One in my side, spare in the glovebox.
Spare hangar key in the glovebox.
Small pillow in the back seat. To use as padding to adjust seating during long flights, or to use as a pillow if stuck on FBO sofa overnight.

$10 in quarters.
$10 in $1 bills.
Another $50 in the headset bag.
AMEX card.
Visa card.
Lawyers phone number on speed dial on my cell phone.
Clean underwear & toothbrush. Amazing how better you feel if you're stuck overnight someplace if you have a change of underwear.

That sounds more like a list of stuff to take when planning on being arrested in Chicago than on a flight. LOL.

Well somebody has to do it:

- One forty-five caliber automatic
- Two boxes of ammunition
- Four days' concentrated emergency rations
- One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine,
vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
- One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
- One hundred dollars in rubles
- One hundred dollars in gold
- Nine packs of chewing gum
- One issue of prophylactics
- Three lipsticks
- Three pair of nylon stockings.

Sounds like you could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with that stuff.

No Speedos? or is that what the bandanas are for.

No, that's what the leopard print boxers are for. The bandanas are for the cholos you may meet that will get you the hook up. Most are Crips, but there are some Bloods

I have it down to just an iPad Mini and an iPhone (I do have a headset or two in the plane, though).

iPad - primary navigation and charts, flight planning, E6B, backup flashlight app, notepad, weather app.
iPhone - flashlight app, backup navigation and charts, music player, communications.

Sort of kidding. I do have a flight bag with batteries, barf bags, charts, pens/pencils, fuel drain, etc. and a Garmin 496 on the yoke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well somebody has to do it:

- One forty-five caliber automatic
- Two boxes of ammunition
- Four days' concentrated emergency rations
- One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine,
vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
- One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
- One hundred dollars in rubles
- One hundred dollars in gold
- Nine packs of chewing gum
- One issue of prophylactics