What's going on a the DC-3

flyingron

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingRon
Now I was in the first group of those vetted to fly there having been based at VKX on 9/11, but I've not been back more than once or twice since. I got an email with an important safety notice on DC-3 operation and following the link it just leads to a three sentence item that says "look out for other aircraft in the pattern."

Really?

I think they're setting things up for pattern work to be permitted. That will be a new thing for folks flying in and out who are used to more-or-less being separated as if they were IFR.

What Tim said.

I believe it's in a trial-run at one or two of the airports. Once implemented, should also allow PAR practice at one airport.

There wasn't really any seperation (or even much of an advisory) service before. But if people are going to be in the pattern without talking on PCT's frequency, I can imagine that would be a surprise to some.

FDC 3/2455

60 day trial of pattern operations and practice approaches to the (now) MD-3.

Practice approaches to Davison AAF coming soon, according to Mr. Fetter.

Baby steps, in the right direction. :)

Well, no pattern work for solo-students :rolleyes: . Baby steps, right direction is the best description. Lets hope nobody screws it up by flying a 3 mile pattern over the new homeland security building.

Pattern work allowed in the DC-3. I hope to get some in - if I can swing my schedule, etc.

Did they turn it back on at VKX?

On 5/31, the first day pattern ops were allowed, the first guy doing pattern work had a faulty transponder and apparently was not monitoring 121.5. Meanwhile, the airport manager was outside, away from his phone, watching the pattern work, when the unanswered call from the NCRCC came in. Needless to say, they were not impressed and pattern ops were suspended.

On 5/31, the first day pattern ops were allowed, the first guy doing pattern work had a faulty transponder and apparently was not monitoring 121.5. Meanwhile, the airport manager was outside, away from his phone, watching the pattern work, when the unanswered call from the NCRCC came in. Needless to say, they were not impressed and pattern ops were suspended.

It shouldn't be that hard.

Doh!:mad2:

If he had a single radio and was on CTAF, how could he monitor 121.5?

If that were the case, he would be in violation of the NOTAM that permitted such ops...

http://www.potomac-airfield.com/MD THREE NOTAM (Final).pdf

1) PILOTS MUST MAKE RESERVATIONS WITH THEIR AIRPORT SECURITY COORDINATOR PRIOR TO CONDUCTING OPERATIONS.
2) PILOTS CONDUCTING PATTERN WORK OR PRACTICE INSTRUMENT APPROACHES MUST NOT APPROACH ANY CLOSER TO THE CENTER OF THE FRZ THAN THEY WOULD DURING A NORMAL ARRIVAL OR DEPARTURE FROM THE AIRPORT.
3) AIRCRAFT MUST BE EQUIPPED WITH TWO OPERATIONAL TWO-WAY COMMUNICATION RADIOS AND MONITOR 121.5 AT ALL TIMES.
4) MARYLAND THREE AIRPORT PRACTICE INSTRUMENT APPROACHES AND TRAFFIC PATTERN WORK ARE AUTHORIZED DAILY FROM 0800-1800 LOCAL
5) SOLO STUDENT PILOT OPERATIONS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED
6) TRAFFIC PATTERN OPERATIONS AND PRACTICE INSTRUMENT APPROACHES MUST BE CONDUCTED IMMEDIATELY AFTER DEPARTURE AND MUST BE CONDUCTED AT THE DEPARTURE AIRPORT.

Would an SL30/40 satisfy the requirements for #3? You can monitor the standby frequency on it while still communicating on the first one.

Would an SL30/40 satisfy the requirements for #3? You can monitor the standby frequency on it while still communicating on the first one.

The intent but not the letter as you don't have two way communications on both frequencies.

The intent but not the letter as you don't have two way communications on both frequencies.

You haven't seen how fast I push the <---> button. :D

And technically I never have two way communication on both frequencies unless I have a co-pilot and use the split com feature on the 340. Even with two radios, I can still only transmit on one at a time.

You haven't seen how fast I push the <---> button. :D

Oh I'd bet they would never know the difference untill they looked inside, even with multiple comms you have to switch the transmitter over

Even with two com radios I don't have two-way comms on both frequencies. I gotta punch the audio panel to switch from CoM 1 to COM 2 (no different really than pushing the flip flop on the SL30).

That's not the FAA's problem. You want to fly in that area like that, you have two radios and a transponder so you can do what the regulations require.

Even with two com radios I don't have two-way comms on both frequencies. I gotta punch the audio panel to switch from CoM 1 to COM 2 (no different really than pushing the flip flop on the SL30).

Oh I know, but the letter says two two way radios, so per the letter having two receivers but only one transmitter wouldn't cut it.

Rather silly as you can only use one transmitter at a time unless as noted you spit between the positions on the audio panel.

Back