What's a good way to clean headset plugs?

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
I've got a couple of older david clark headsets I keep in the plane mainly as backups or an option in the rare event I have back seat passengers... tried using them a few times recently and I found they didn't work very well, had to rotate them in the jack to even get any audio.

Plugs looks pretty dirty/dull/tarnished. Figure that is the place to start, I've got steel wool, sandpaper, etc around but that seems like it might be too abrasive. Any better suggestions?

I have used gray (fine) Scotchbrite pads to clean the brass plugs on David Clark headsets

I use contact cleaner on mine when I do my annual and on the sockets as well.

Did you copy my Reddit post? :D

I just asked this same thing a few days ago after I was getting some crackling on my 20+ year old ones. Suggestions offered to me were Scotch Brite pads, contact cleaner, heavy paper (20lb copy paper) with rubbing alcohol, and play some R Kelly and get your girlfriend to clean them with some Windex and toilet paper in an erotic fashion. I was adamantly told not to use steel wool, as that may leave shavings behind which could cause more issues.

I haven't tried any yet, and the weather doesn't look promising this weekend to test anything out anyway.

Try a pencil eraser

If that doesn't clean it right up, use some regular Colgate
Toothpaste. Wipe it on, buff it off.

....play some R Kelly and get your girlfriend to clean them with some Windex and toilet paper in an erotic fashion. ...

That's what the AIM suggests.

In a pinch you can also just spit on the plug and stick it in.

you're a bastard file...
Ha. Reminds me of back on the farm in Indiana. My mom was a straight up lady and when
she would come out to our shop, I would, as a cocky 12 year old, tell her to "hand me that bastard." --- Oh the stares I got!

Back