What would you do?

greghughes

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GregPDX
Here's a scenario for you for ADM Monday-morning quarterbacking purposes.

You're flying at dusk, in the area around your home airport, in an established practice area - a busy one with a charted recommended frequency. The sun is down. Essentially cold, clear skies. You observe two small two-seat airplanes flying in formation from right to left, at about your 2-o'clock and stationary angle (not good), not tight formation but also not of the half-mile variety. They're clearly paying attention to each other, but probably don't see you based on the fact that they're not turning to avoid. You make a hard right and drop the nose to avoid at about a half mile to pass behind them.

You recognize the airplanes, one's a trainer rental C150 from your home airport and the other is a two-seater that's also based there.

You watch as one of the planes suddenly pulls up hard, banks left, turns back and pulls a 180 to return to the formation behind the other plane. Suddenly you notice they're coming right back at you as you're practicing slow flight and a couple stalls. Hmm. They're not on the practice area frequency but it sure looks like they're talking to each other based on how they're flying. You start checking other frequencies and find them talking it up like crazy on 123.45. Ah hah. Well, at least now you can hear them.

They sound awfully young. Teenager voices probably. Saying things like "where are you, I lost you" and "Remind me to turn my lights back on before we get to the airport" and "do a hard right break so I can film you with the sunset behind you."

Who knows where they went, you don't see them but you hear them. One of the planes is missing its red nav light, you noticed, and now they're chattering without keying the mic the right way, cutting themselves off over and over.

You head back to the airport and plan to do a standard 45 degree entry, so you call your intent on the CTAF, coordinate with one other plane that's headed in as well. You can hear the other two - still on 123.45, talking away about cross country planning and reminding to turn lights on before getting back to the airport, etc. Make you worry where they are again and whether you'll see them.

Sure enough, as you're about to enter the 45, here they come, switching to the CTAF just as they arrive 1 mile off the airport. You call on the radio, advise you're changing your direction and will circle around and come in after the two one-mile aircraft. A long pause, and then "Okay thanks, any other airplanes in the pattern?"

They land, you land. It's next to dark. One of the planes, the non-rental one and the same one that had been chattering earlier about having a nav light out, takes off again. No lights visible except one white light on the tail. You radio a friendly "departing aircraft, your nav lights look like they're out" and get no answer. The plane flies a low, non-standard pattern and quickly lands again.

You realize and confirm that they're both student pilots, in the solo phase of their private pilot training. One of them is flying their family plane. The other the school's rental.

Primary students still in solo phase, flying loose-ish formation and a few co-maneuvers, focused inside the airplane and on each other and their cameras, flying in the practice area they frequent, but on a radio frequency that's not the standard one used in that practice area. At and after dusk with lights not working, or turned off. They've demonstrated what you think is not exactly the best judgement.

So, what - if anything - do you do or say at this point, and to whom?

Last edited:
Since they are students, I would locate their CFI(s) and tell all.

-Skip

Agree.

Also let the owners of each plane know how their aircraft are being "professionally" flown. Just think what they will be like after their check ride. These are the type that will end their flying career early and hopefully not take out an innocent person in the process.

Talk to them first. :yes:

Tell them that the flying community is very, very small. That they are joining an elite group of class "A" personalities that depend on each other to do the right thing. That each of us enjoy flying, but that each of us is our "brothers keeper". Remind them that is they are having a butt load of fun flying they are probably breaking a rule some where.

Handle it between the 3 of you and make a few young friends that will learn from their mistake. If they denign it or grow an attitude bust their asses.

They were having fun, maybe took it too far, but they are young.

Practice areas are NOT written in stone. There is no such thing as a designated practice areas except to locals. I travel a lot, I can't tell you how many times I have had to tell students I am new to the area and have no idea where their practice area is. It is NOT a protected area. ;)

Last edited:
Talk to them first. :yes:

Tell them that the flying community is very, very small. That they are joining an elite group of class "A" personalities that depend on each other to do the right thing. That each of us enjoy flying, but that each of us is our "brothers keeper". Remind them that is they are having a butt load of fun flying they are probably breaking a rule some where.

Handle it between the 3 of you and make a few young friends that will learn from their mistake. If they denign it or grow an attitude bust their asses.

They were having fun, maybe took it too far, but they are young.

Practice areas are NOT written in stone.

I would go with that.

Thanks for the replies. I caught up with one of the students and chatted with him 1/1 for a few minutes. He was receptive and said he'd tell his friend. Also said their mutual instructor said it was okay, and that he's even with them when they do it. I told him that I thought when the instructor is in the plane it's a different situation, and that based on what I'd observed I think it's not time yet and that flying responsibility is different when they're in the planes alone. Also told him we're a small community of people who care enough about each other to say something in a friendly way when it's on our minds, rather than ignore and hope for the best.

Kids often think they're bullet-proof, and they're excited about their newly-not-quite-inked-yet freedom. Hopefully saying something makes a small difference.

Also said their mutual instructor said it was okay, and that he's even with them when they do it.
So their instructor was in one of the planes? Apparently bad judgement isn't restricted to teenagers.

You're flying at dusk, in the area around your home airport, in an established practice area - a busy one with a charted recommended frequency. The sun is down. Essentially cold, clear skies. You observe two small two-seat airplanes flying in formation from right to left, at about your 2-o'clock and stationary angle (not good), not tight formation but also not of the half-mile variety. They're clearly paying attention to each other, but probably don't see you based on the fact that they're not turning to avoid.
Since they're on the right, it's your responsibility to maneuver to avoid them, not the other way around.
(d) Converging. When aircraft of the same category are converging at approximately the same altitude (except head-on, or nearly so), the aircraft to the other's right has the right-of-way.

You make a hard right and drop the nose to avoid at about a half mile to pass behind them.
Then you all did the right thing -- they maintained course and altitude and you maneuvered to avoid them.

You recognize the airplanes, one's a trainer rental C150 from your home airport and the other is a two-seater that's also based there.

You watch as one of the planes suddenly pulls up hard, banks left, turns back and pulls a 180 to return to the formation behind the other plane. Suddenly you notice they're coming right back at you as you're practicing slow flight and a couple stalls. Hmm. They're not on the practice area frequency
I know of no regulation requiring pilots to be on a "practice area frequency," especially since such areas and frequencies are not published in the normal publications, so don't expect people to be there.

but it sure looks like they're talking to each other based on how they're flying. You start checking other frequencies and find them talking it up like crazy on 123.45.
Now that is improper -- 123.45 is not a public-use frequency in the Continental USA.

Ah hah. Well, at least now you can hear them.

They sound awfully young. Teenager voices probably. Saying things like "where are you, I lost you" and "Remind me to turn my lights back on before we get to the airport" and "do a hard right break so I can film you with the sunset behind you."

Who knows where they went, you don't see them but you hear them. One of the planes is missing its red nav light, you noticed, and now they're chattering without keying the mic the right way, cutting themselves off over and over. [/QUOTE]Regrettably, there are lots of fools who attempt formation flying without the proper training, but it happens, and there's no FAA rule against it as long as all the pilot involved agree to it.

You head back to the airport and plan to do a standard 45 degree entry, so you call your intent on the CTAF, coordinate with one other plane that's headed in as well. You can hear the other two - still on 123.45, talking away about cross country planning and reminding to turn lights on before getting back to the airport, etc. Make you worry where they are again and whether you'll see them.

Sure enough, as you're about to enter the 45, here they come, switching to the CTAF just as they arrive 1 mile off the airport. You call on the radio, advise you're changing your direction and will circle around and come in after the two one-mile aircraft. A long pause, and then "Okay thanks, any other airplanes in the pattern?"

They land, you land. It's next to dark. One of the planes, the non-rental one and the same one that had been chattering earlier about having a nav light out, takes off again. No lights visible except one white light on the tail. You radio a friendly "departing aircraft, your nav lights look like they're out" and get no answer. The plane flies a low, non-standard pattern and quickly lands again.

You realize and confirm that they're both student pilots, in the solo phase of their private pilot training. One of them is flying their family plane. The other the school's rental.
There's no FAA regulation prohibiting Student Pilots from conducting formation flights, but the school probably prohibits it.

Primary students still in solo phase, flying loose-ish formation and a few co-maneuvers, focused inside the airplane and on each other and their cameras, flying in the practice area they frequent, but on a radio frequency that's not the standard one used in that practice area. At and after dusk with lights not working, or turned off. They've demonstrated what you think is not exactly the best judgement.

So, what - if anything - do you do or say at this point, and to whom?
Let the school know what you saw. That's it.

So their instructor was in one of the planes? Apparently bad judgement isn't restricted to teenagers.
:mad2:
Not much you can do about it then unless you feel like talking to the FSDO. However, I can't believe the flight school which owns one of the planes is aware of and has agreed to doing this, so that's where I'd start.

Back