What Would YOU Do?

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
I'm aware of a person who is Student Pilot status -- for a long time and may not be medically current. The party bought a single-engine a/c, initially. After taking friends and associates for flights it was decided that the plane wasn't fast enough. So a twin-engine a/c was purchased and the self-taught method was applied. Friends and associates continue to enjoy the flights.

When someone informed the party that same could get into big trouble with the FAA the subject's lawyer said, "Oh, no problem; Xxxxxxx will just pay the fine and be done with it." I'm shivverin' in me timbres. It's an accident waiting to happen.

What would you do?

HR

FSDO with pictures as fast as you can. You might even want to just give them a heads up in advanced. You are not just protecting him from himself but all of us from a reckless and careless pilot.

Check the online databases and you can see what certificate he has and what his medical status is too. That is one way you can be better aware of what rules he is breaking.

Legally, what can the FAA do about someone flying a plane who doesn't have a license? Can't pull non-existent license.

I'm aware of a person who is Student Pilot status -- for a long time and may not be medically current. The party bought a single-engine a/c, initially. After taking friends and associates for flights it was decided that the plane wasn't fast enough. So a twin-engine a/c was purchased and the self-taught method was applied. Friends and associates continue to enjoy the flights.

When someone informed the party that same could get into big trouble with the FAA the subject's lawyer said, "Oh, no problem; Xxxxxxx will just pay the fine and be done with it." I'm shivverin' in me timbres. It's an accident waiting to happen.

What would you do?

HR
Well, you could always call the FAA and suggest they do a ramp check of his paperwork. Just arrange to get the FAA to the airport at his expected return time (if he returns).

I am not sure how I would find out the guy was not a PPL MEL. So what I would do is "assume" he is legal. If I somehow knew he was a student flying passengers in a twin, with the money to buy it and a friendly lawyer to defend him and harrass me, I would get the FAA involved. If some family gets killed with him, you will regret keeping quiet about this the rest of your life.

I am sure there is some kind of law involved to get him on.
More concerned with his passengers and when he does something and kills them. If he does not have a license or a medical, there is NO WAY he could get insurance on the aircraft without lying to the insurance company. As we know once they find out you lied, your insurance will be null and void.

Mark B

I am sure there is some kind of law involved to get him on.
More concerned with his passengers and when he does something and kills them. If he does not have a license or a medical, there is NO WAY he could get insurance on the aircraft without lying to the insurance company. As we know once they find out you lied, your insurance will be null and void.

Mark B

Sounds like he had the money to buy the plane outright. If there isn't a loan on the plane, who's to say he has to have insurance on it?

I would have the FSDO bust the guy, if not for his protection then for the protection of his friends and associates, who probably don't know the truth.

Thanks, Ken(and all). Here's the update:

3rd Class Medical, issued very recently.
Certification: Private Pilot, issued even more recently.
Airplane: Single Engine Land

????

????
Well, sounds like he's TRYING to get legal. Too bad he doesn't knock off the flying while he's doing it.

Has he taught himself instrument flight as well?

What would you do?

HR

I usually don't interfere in the affairs of others, but I'd make this guy my project to be sure he doesn't fly until he's legal. That may include notifying FSDO, trying to get pictures, locating previous pax, and even investigating if he has insurance which I doubt.
With that kind of wreckless disregard for training and rules, I'd be his own personal Hell until he is stopped.

OK, As I understand it, the guy's got a private -ASEL and a current medical. Now, if you got that information from anywhere other than his actual documents, it's quite possible he's gotten the MEL and your data source isn't up-to-date. I know several people who started training on Friday morning and had their MEL rating by Sunday afternoon.

Fry him. But do it right, tell the FSDO, let them investigate.

We had to do it the right way, so should he. He's like an illegal immigrant of the skies.

I've yet to identify the gender of the alleged subject.

FSDO is now aware, discreetly. Interestingly, there is no record of said party ever owning an airplane; hence, whose and where shall be researched.
Interesting!

HR

I've yet to identify the gender of the alleged subject.

FSDO is now aware, discreetly. Interestingly, there is no record of said party ever owning an airplane; hence, whose and where shall be researched.
Interesting!

HR
You are in Maine, right? Check the tail number. Does it start with an "N"?

????
Remember the Airman Inquiry doesn't update until the permanent certificate is issued, which means it is probably a couple months slow. I had my 135 ride only days after I got my permanent multi certificate/website was updated. That probably would have looked pretty fishy to anyone watching as well.

Back