What was your most embarassing moment in Aviation?

Getting busted at the grocery store by another pilot, who overheard me giving myself vectors for the shopping cart...

:redface:

Ok, this one is me... :redface:

It's funny (hmmph), but if you're switching from one frequency to another - like, say, TWR to GND, maybe - and you're going from one radio to another to do that, you actually have to switch from Comm1 to Comm2. They build 'em that way, apparently...

38R: Raleigh Ground, 38R is at Charlie at Alpha
TWR: Great, but you're still on tower freq.
38R: uh, sorry...
<checks frequency for ground, tries again...>
38R: 38R to Raleigh Ground (learning a bit, here, just waiting to hear 'em first...)
TWR: You're STILL on tower freq
38R: ack! :hairraise:
<switches freq back and forth in an effort to get it right, toggles stdby freq switch>
38R: 38R Raleigh Ground (nervously dropping those prepositions...)
TWR: (loud SIGH) Still on tower... (many words seem to be hanging there unsaid, best I can tell...:redface:)
<I finally remember about that pesky switching to the other radio knob...>
38R <faint, squeaky voice>: Sorry, Tower... too many dang knobs...

It, uh, went ok from that point on... sigh. :redface:

Last edited:
Ok, this one is me... :redface:

It's funny (hmmph), but if you're switching from one frequency to another - like, say, TWR to GND, maybe - and you're going from one radio to another to do that, you actually have to switch from Comm1 to Comm2. They build 'em that way, apparently...

38R: Raleigh Ground, 38R is at Charlie at Alpha
TWR: Great, but you're still on tower freq.
38R: uh, sorry...
<checks frequency for ground, tries again...>
38R: 38R to Raleigh Ground (learning a bit, here, just waiting to hear 'em first...)
TWR: You're STILL on tower freq
38R: ack! :hairraise:
<switches freq back and forth in an effort to get it right, toggles stdby freq switch>
TWR: (loud SIGH) Still on tower... (many words seem to be hanging there unsaid, best I can tell...:redface:)
<I finally remember about that pesky switching to the other radio knob...>
38R <faint, squeaky voice>: Sorry, Tower... too many dang knobs...

It, uh, went ok from that point on... sigh. :redface:
Okay, I'm sitting in the bar, laughing out loud, and people are looking at me strangely and IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!:yes::goofy:

Okay, I'm sitting in the bar, laughing out loud, and people are looking at me strangely and IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!:yes::goofy:
You're sitting in a bar, reading pilot board online and having a drink? What kind of perversion is this???? Pretty soon, you'll be opening up a link to Avweb!

:goofy:

Ok a couple of weeks ago I asked what was your most rewarding flying experience. So today I'm asking you to tell us about your most embarassing moment in avation. I had a friend try to taxi while the tail was still tied down.

I'm finally getting to this thread, haven't read any of the replies. My most embarrassing was flying from a small uncontrolled field west of DFW back to a tower-controlled (but after tower hours) field south of DFW, VFR, directly under the innermost ring of Class B, without my transponder on.
When did I notice? When I turned off the runway after landing at KGPM, and was running my shutdown checklist. "Transponder-STANDBY." "Oops, cr@p!" This was after 9/11, and I was certain I'd have guys in black suits surrounding my plane as I taxied into the ramp.

A distraction while taking the runway at Hicks (T67) was the root cause of me forgetting the "Camera" in "Lights - Camera - Action".

Yes, I filed my first NASA report out of that one.

Forgetting about our brand-new cowl plugs and almost starting up at Gaston's with them still in. I only got one blade around, and I saw it throw the "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" flag up. Luckily, Troy was waving like crazy too just in case I didn't see it. :redface:

That was you?? ;-) I didn't see nuttin!

TWR: (loud SIGH) Still on tower...

That's funny Tom. After the third time, I'd have been tempted to ask him if he was sure he wasn't on Ground!

Back