What to know about OTC allergy meds and flying?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I don't know what is in the local atmosphere, but this warmer weather around DFW has inserted something that nailed me with a pollen, spore, or dust allergy reaction. I've taken some OTC Claritan with dinner and going to bed early.

But this got me thinking that I really don't know what I should about this class of OTC meds and flying. So help me (and others) out.

What's to know about these class of OTC's. Are there any that impose a stand down period before flying? If yes, which ones and for how long? Anything else we should all know from a safety perspective?

I don't know what is in the local atmosphere, but this warmer weather around DFW has inserted something that nailed me with a pollen, spore, or dust allergy reaction. I've taken some OTC Claritan with dinner and going to bed early.

But this got me thinking that I really don't know what I should about this class of OTC meds and flying. So help me (and others) out.

What's to know about these class of OTC's. Are there any that impose a stand down period before flying? If yes, which ones and for how long? Anything else we should all know from a safety perspective?
I haven't checked lately but AFaIK Loratadine (Claritin) is approved provided you have no adverse side effects and that's what I take regularly. I was originally prescribed Zertex but at the time that was on the no-fly list (and probably still is).

If those are the okay ones, what are the bad ones?

I find Claritan and Allegra to be pretty ineffective. A Neti Pot sinus rinse gives some relief, especially before bed.

I've flown while taking Claratin as well as when taking Allegra. Both under subscription dosages (stupid grass pollen allergies). Never had a problem getting an up-chit/medical with either, civilian or military side of the house.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back