What to do, what to do....

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
Advice time.

I have an (older) but still in good condition Canon s9000 photo printer (save for the issue below). This is a wide-format unit that will handle 11x17+ paper.

It's been a good printer, although I haven't run a buttload of prints through it, good quality. With the recent purchase of my Canon 7D camera, I've been running more photos through it recently and just did color management profiling on it. Because of that I recently invested in a mess (less than a buttload) of print cartridges (Canon BCI-6). So far, so good.

Last night the printer stopped. Error message (light flashes) indicate an eeprom error on the printhead. Pulled the head, cleaned, cleaned contacts, replaced. Same error. No guarantee that it's the head, but that's the most likely culprit.

New printhead runs about $100 (a little less on eBay). Cost for sending it to Canon for repair is far greater than the value of the printer.

Canon has deal on new printer w/$100 rebate - new printer (Canon Pro9000) gets stellar reviews - much better quality than the S9000, which is good to start with. Total cost for new printer = <$400 including shipping. So, I ordered the new printer.

Now: what to do. Do I try and sell the 24 unopened BCI6 ink cartridges, recover what I can of that investment and dispose of the otherwise working carcass of the S9000? Do I replace the head and use up the cartridges (printing pictures of lower quality than I'd be happy with compared to the new printer)? Do I replace the head and try and recover the cost of that plus the cartridges?

Anyone here use BCI 6 cartridges that'll give me a fair price for the unused NIB ones (Black, Yellow, Magenta, Photo Magenta, Cyan, Photo Cyan)? Or a fair price for the carcass + the cartridges (you buy the head & take any risk that the problem is not the head)?

Bill,

I have a Cannon i9900 printer that uses the BCI-6 cartridge. I woud be willing to buy them off of you plus shipping. PM me with what you think is a fair price and maybe we can make a deal!

Bill,

I have a Cannon i9900 printer that uses the BCI-6 cartridge. I woud be willing to buy them off of you plus shipping. PM me with what you think is a fair price and maybe we can make a deal!

Tony,

See you PM.

Bill

See, that was easy!

Back