What the heck is Vf- aka Flap Design Speed?

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
As I've studied for my commercial written, I've come across various V speeds that I was vaguely aware of but didn't dig into before. But this one: Vf has me stumped. I've googled and even asked the instructor in the test prep class yesterday and only get a circular definition. "Flap Design Speed is flap design speed." (That is a direct quote.)

It's not V
fe which is speed flaps can be extended safely at or below.

So, what is it?

John

As I've studied for my commercial written, I've come across various V speeds that I was vaguely aware of but didn't dig into before. But this one: Vf has me stumped. I've googled and even asked the instructor in the test prep class yesterday and only get a circular definition. "Flap Design Speed is flap design speed." (That is a direct quote.)

It's not V

So, what is it?

John
It’s the time allotted by the head engineer to the flap guy to get the flaps designed or risk being fired. In other words, I dunno.

EDIT: but now I do. https://www.flyingmag.com/everything-about-v-speeds-explained/

As described to me some years ago...

The max speed at which flaps are designed to be flown with. Think of deploying flaps on final, then going around without retracting. You could overspeed the flaps and damage them. It therefore changes your flight envelope when flaps are deployed.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/what-use-is-v-f.115969/#post-2657067
VF is the speed the manufacturer used when analyzing aerodynamic load cases with flaps extended and designing structure for same, and VFE is the max speed "allowed" with flaps extended. Ideally they would be the same speed, as VFE cannot be greater than VF (per CFR14 part 23.1511) and if VF is much larger than VFE the airplane is designed for loads it doesn't experience in flight.

ETA: VF is a speed used in design and analysis and VFE is an operating limitation.

Nauga,
historically

Thank you to both @bflynn and @nauga for actual answers (that even make sense!). Why my google-fu failed me on this I have no idea...

So do I have this right... just to try to make it more clear.

Vfe = Flap Extension Speed, the maximum speed at which I can Extend the flaps (and probably retract as well)
Vf = Maximum Flap Extended speed, the maximum speed I can fly with the flaps extended.

Vfe is probably determined by the force required to move the flaps, i.e. why you might like to slow down to extend manual flaps or reduce the load on the flap motor.
Vfe the speed at which if exceed the flaps might fail.

I was looking for an article on a test flight in a glider, found this instead...
"In Britain, unlike some other countries, it was legal to fly in cloud providing the sailplane was suitably certificated. Loss of control in blind flight was a well recognized danger, the usual outcome being an increasingly steep spiral dive with rapidly rising airspeed, very high g forces and serious structural collapse. It had been decided long before that a sailplane approved for cloud flying must have airbrakes which, when fully open, would restrict the airspeed to the maximum permitted in rough air. It would be very difficult to sell the HP-14C on the home market without a cloud-flying airworthiness certificate. The flaps certainly limited the speed once they were fully down, as Williamson proved in his own test flying, but, if the airspeed was already high and rising, the effort required from the pilot to get the flaps down to 90' was too great. If the sailplane was genuinely going out of control in cloud, the flap brakes would be useless"

The article I was looking for and didn't find I think was in the US and a Pilot tried testing the speed limiting flaps in a similar sailplane. on the 1st test both flaps failed simultaneously. They worked fine on the second attempt after being repaired and reinforced. Interesting a vertical dive actually required a forward pitch about 100 degrees.

EDIT- FOUND IT...
Here is an except from the article I was looking for and a link to the article.
"Experience has shown that about 100 pounds is the maximum that the average pilot can apply to the flap handle in this particular cockpit arrangement. Full flap extension requires about 100 pounds of force at 80 knots which gives a steady dive angle of 45 degrees at this speed. Flaps may be locked down for steeper dives and the terminal velocity in a vertical dive is 115 knots which results in flying at a fuselage angle 11 degrees beyond the vertical. In these tests, the standard HP-14 flaps failed in torsion about 6 inches outboard of the root driver rib as a speed of 102 knots. Fortunately both right and left flaps failed at the same moment and in the same manner so that recovery was possible without undue rolling. The failure resulted from the buckling of the unsupported skins in the 21inch root segment of the flaps. Intermediate ribs were added to provide a 7-inch spacing in this segment. Later dives to terminal velocity (115 knots) were made without incident."

http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP-14/T-6.html

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Last edited:

Vfe = Flap Extension Speed, the maximum speed at which I can Extend the flaps (and probably retract as well)
Vf = Maximum Flap Extended speed, the maximum speed I can fly with the flaps extended.

Correct, but I would not use "Flap Extended" as a term because it's too similar to "Flap Extension" and therefore confusing. Max Flaps Speed is better or if you insist on using extended, maybe Max Speed, Flaps Extended. But it isn't really a speed you fly, it's the point at which you will be expected to break the flaps.

It's not V

So, what is it?

John

It's a design speed. Unless you're going to design a new airplane and certify it under Part 23, you don't have to worry about it.

VF must be selected to give a cushion above VFE (or you could say VFE must provide a cushion below VF).

VF must also be selected to be at least 1.6 times the takeoff stall speed for takeoff flaps and 1.8 times both the takeoff and landing stall speeds for approach and landing flap settings.

Correct,.

Uh that's not correct at all o_O

Back