wha't the deal with this?

sbonek

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Steve Bonek
http://www.aso.com/i.aso3/aircraft_...p=falsexxxxxsearchid=11135632xxxxxregionid=-1

is this something dealers do to get more of a specific manufacturers a/c on the flight line to drum up support?

The last time I checked with them, they hadn't decided what Indy airport they would have one of these. I ran the numbers, and in comparison to renting, the $$ make sense for me. But the downside is that I might be in a partnership with people that I don't know and might not mesh well with.

Anybody ever seen anything like this?

I dunno, it looks like it might just be some dude selling his share, but either way, that's a pretty decent deal.

I dunno, it looks like it might just be some dude selling his share, but either way, that's a pretty decent deal.

here is the wording I got back on the e-mail when I clicked on the link to contact the seller a few months back:

"As an Indiana Diamond Dealer, we would like to base a Diamond Star at each Indpls airport, but we have generated the most interest at Columbus, Greenwood and Metro airports."

and then he said:

"Understand that we are using the ASO ads to generate the leads to gather interest and see where that interest is."

it's been on there for several months, so I'm wondering what the deal is. I think I will contact them again to see if they have made any decisions about what airport to put one at.

I just thought it was kind of odd that it seems to be a partnership started by a dealer, rather than by a group of people that decided to form a partnership.

Sounds like the dealer is trying to start partnerships at different airports so he can sell them a plane then.
Kind of working as the "middle man" to get some people together.

Mark B.

I've never heard of another deal like that, but I'd be all over 20% of a DA40 for $4,000!!! Of course I'm sure that involves a loan to a corporation with members paying it off each month, but I've gotta give it a "heck yeah!" I hope it works well for all involved.

http://www.aso.com/i.aso3/aircraft_...p=falsexxxxxsearchid=11135632xxxxxregionid=-1

is this something dealers do to get more of a specific manufacturers a/c on the flight line to drum up support?

The last time I checked with them, they hadn't decided what Indy airport they would have one of these. I ran the numbers, and in comparison to renting, the $$ make sense for me. But the downside is that I might be in a partnership with people that I don't know and might not mesh well with.

Some similar stuff going on here in Atlanta with Cirri.

They were doing this out here too, and I was interested before I bought into the partnership I am in, but the location would not work. If you need to drive an hour past 4 other airports to go fly, it seems to defeat the purpose.

You need to run the numbers and see if it makes sense. 20% for $4,000 just means you have a $20,000 down payment on a purchase contract. What is the loan amount? Loan + Down ought to equal purchase price (with a little for the dealer for setting this up). All the legalities included? That is worth something. If you are buying a share of a not-for-profit corporation, and not a share of a plane, when you buy and sell shares you do not have as many tax issues to deal with since the plane title stays the same. If the $25/hour dry is kept in the partnership, is that intended for engine reserve and all maintenance, or what? If the monthly is the fixed cost for the loan, hangar, insurance, etc., do the numbers look right for what you are getting?

Finally, will you be able to fly it enough to make this work for you? The monthly is rent of something for 3 hours wet (perhaps just 2 hours for something this nice). So you would need to fly about 3 or 4 hours/month to break even with renting. With managed scheduling you will have some stability regarding availability of the plane. Some people want to buy 20% and then fly like they own 100%. That may work OK as long as the other 4 only fly occasionally, but with 2 or 3 like that conflicts would be a problem. Like everyone trying to fly 10+ hours/month every month, and by-the-way they all work long days so all that is on weekends. A nice mix of 2 or 3 who work and 2 or 3 retired who fly weekdays works well.

Last edited:
Steve:

Can you say marketing? Just the things that make it sound good with no details. Just trying to put some people together; then, structure something. The middle person will certainly be well compensated for their time and effort.

Maybe it's just me, but I want a real deal with details.

Best,

Dave

The guy doing it is doing it for a couple of other planes as well.

If you look for partnerships near indianapolis you'll see he also has an arrow. I've been looking around Indy for a while and this one looks like a heck of a deal...

http://www.aso.com/i.aso3/aircraft_...p=falsexxxxxsearchid=11150490xxxxxregionid=-1

-Henri
Both of these are missing some important information. What is the loan amount, payment amount, interest rate, loan term, pre-pay penalty if any, other assets or obligations, etc. etc.? How can you value a share price without knowing that? The 20% share ought to be the value of the plane less the loan amount divided by 5; + or - any other assets or obligations divided by 5. The monthly X 5 ought to equal all fixed costs. The hourly dry ought to equal the cost of hours based maintenance and engine reserve.

Both of these are missing some important information. What is the loan amount, payment amount, interest rate, loan term, pre-pay penalty if any, other assets or obligations, etc. etc.? How can you value a share price without knowing that? The 20% share ought to be the value of the plane less the loan amount divided by 5; + or - any other assets or obligations divided by 5. The monthly X 5 ought to equal all fixed costs. The hourly dry ought to equal the cost of hours based maintenance and engine reserve.

Indeed! That's why I'm still looking :)

-Henri

Steve:

Can you say marketing? Just the things that make it sound good with no details. Just trying to put some people together; then, structure something. The middle person will certainly be well compensated for their time and effort.

Maybe it's just me, but I want a real deal with details.

Best,

Dave

agreed on that... it seemed like a really good deal for a brand new DA-40... I'm going to see if I can get more details and figure out why this deal is too good to be true :rolleyes:

Ok, so I finally got a response on me asking for more details, and here is the wording of the e-mail...

"We can have a Diamond Star parked at Mount Comfort Immediately! I have many interested parties in a Fractional Share in your area. The question is, when will someone step to the plate and be a loan guarantor and make it happen. This individual would have Tax Benefits and share operational costs with a group."

So they want us to get somebody to finance it? I'm even more confused now....

Back