What should I expect...

Kiowaaa

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kiowaaa
Okay so here is my story.

Got my PPL at age 17 everything was great always loved aviation and still do.

Made a bad choice on my high school graduation day and ended up getting a DUI at age 18. (June 2012)
I then made another mistake by not notifying the FAA and got my medical taken. I was hoping to wait till after court to notify but that's not how it works.
My fault completely.

I was directed to an AME I believe and was suppose to go through the whole usual process of classes, evaluations, etc so that I could in turn get my medical back.
I ended up not going through with the plan that the AME gave me because of how expensive and extensive it was. (Understandable because of my actions.)

Im 26 now living a pretty good life got a great job just bought my first house 2yrs ago and things are looking good.
Looking to get back in the air and first things first I want to get my medical back. What can I expect when I go for my medical. Will it most likely get deffered and will have to complete the same plan that the AME laid out or are things different now 8years later.
I'm willing to tackle whatever I need to do to get back in the air now that I'm in a position where I can comfortably do so it's just been a such a long time and was wondering what I should expect in the process.

Thanks!

Okay so here is my story.

Got my PPL at age 17 everything was great always loved aviation and still do.

Made a bad choice on my high school graduation day and ended up getting a DUI at age 18. (June 2012)
I then made another mistake by not notifying the FAA and got my medical taken. I was hoping to wait till after court to notify but that's not how it works.
My fault completely.

I was directed to an AME I believe and was suppose to go through the whole usual process of classes, evaluations, etc so that I could in turn get my medical back.
I ended up not going through with the plan that the AME gave me because of how expensive and extensive it was. (Understandable because of my actions.)

Im 26 now living a pretty good life got a great job just bought my first house 2yrs ago and things are looking good.
Looking to get back in the air and first things first I want to get my medical back. What can I expect when I go for my medical. Will it most likely get deffered and will have to complete the same plan that the AME laid out or are things different now 8years later.
I'm willing to tackle whatever I need to do to get back in the air now that I'm in a position where I can comfortably do so it's just been a such a long time and was wondering what I should expect in the process.

Thanks!
Kiowaaa:
An accurate answer depends on:

(1) Can you prove it was your one an only? (ten year DMV search)
(2) Can you show you do not have a "minor in possesion"?
(3) Did you blow, and if so what.

If the AME's plan was expensive I suspect you didn't blow, or you blew over 0.15,in which case you do have some hoops to jump and some expense to incur. The FAA is pretty demanding of evaulation, on a no blow.

Yes I can prove its my one and only and I did have over .15bac

Provided it was not 0.18 to 0.20, then you will need a CADC evaluation based on DSM 4 (not the current DSM 5 which is "in the last 2 years...") in which five factors are discussed in text, mini histories as were, of tolerance, withdrawal, lifestyle centered on use, continued use in the face of bad outcomes, and of blackouts (failures to form memory).

The DMV search (10 years)
The arrest paperwork with officer's description of your behavior
And a personal statement loaded with detail (don't gild the lilly, they know what you weigh).
It's to your advantage to have a criminial background search (as in, "I'm a good citizen")
If you were near 0.18 testimonial letters form your employer that you are trustworthy and don't need supervision, don't call in at the last moment....(all alcohol behaviors).

If you are over 0.18, stop. Go directly to the HIMS evaluation system. Precede with six months of negative random urine tests, logged AA attendance, and "adequate awareness activities".

If you are 0.20 or over, you have "defined by FAA Alcohol dependence" and you will not be flying for a long time. If you have that, say so the answers will be different. If you have this you need rehab, and read 67.307(B)1-3.

Going for you: it's 8 years ago
Against you: you didn't go dry (so it's impossible to prove that you quit, with testimonials or with spot testing) so after that costly event you continued. (If I'm wrong, SAY SO it's to your advantage...but just about every guy who quits totally sez so in their post). Having quit totally pretty much takes out "lifestyle centered on the use" and "continued use in the face of...."

NO AME can issue this, the above is what you'll need and it's suicide to go get an exam and not have this stuff. ALL of this.

Last edited:
No advice other than listen to bbchien...to the word. He is THE guy (or one of two) on here that can guide you. TO THE WORD.

Against you: you didn't go dry (so it's impossible to prove that you quit, with testimonials or with spot testing) so after that costly event you continued. (If I'm wrong, SAY SO it's to your advantage...but just about every guy who quits totally sez so in their post).....

As I was reading your post Dr. Bruce, I mentally objected when you stated the OP "didn't go dry." I was thinking, wait a minute the OP didn't say that. Then I see where you qualified your statement and thought to myself, "this guy knows some stuff......."

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back