What should adding a GPS175 and G5 cost

Dave Anderson

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SkyDreams
I'm getting a bunch of different answers:

I have the following in my instrument panel and want to add to get GPS navigator. Plane is currently not IFR certified/current I'm told this should be a pretty installation buying harnesses from garmin etc but with equipment running 6500, I'm told to simply double this? Does that seem accurate?

Twin g3X

GDL-51

GARMIN GMA™ 245 PANEL MOUNT AUDIO PANEL

GTR-20
GTX-45R

GARMIN GNC 255A NAV COM W/ CUSTOM HARNESS - AUDIO PANEL

GMC 307 A/P Control Panel

Round dial backup gauges Airspeed/Altimeter/Vertical speed

Double it - yep.

GPS 175 & G5 as HSI (and whatever widgets either needed, but I already had the GPS antenna when I had the 335 transponder installed) ran $12,000 2 years ago.

Can’t comment on cost because labor rates are all over the place. Labor hours is a different story and if this wasn’t planned for when the other G stuff went in, I can see at least 40 hours labor to install a G5 and a 175, even if planned for.

Can’t comment on cost because labor rates are all over the place. Labor hours is a different story and if this wasn’t planned for when the other G stuff went in, I can see at least 40 hours labor to install a G5 and a 175, even if planned for.
Less than 20 since the OP already has lots of Garmin stuff. If the G5 is only for AI, an A&P can install it (less than 5 hrs). If used as an HSI, then the avionics shop has to the install. Like I said, my 175 and G5 (as HSI) was 12-15 hrs total. Of course this was a shop very well known for Garmin, and had done many of these over the past few years.

I'm getting a bunch of different answers:

I have the following in my instrument panel and want to add to get GPS navigator. Plane is currently not IFR certified/current I'm told this should be a pretty installation buying harnesses from garmin etc but with equipment running 6500, I'm told to simply double this? Does that seem accurate?

Twin g3X

GDL-51

GARMIN GMA™ 245 PANEL MOUNT AUDIO PANEL

GTR-20
GTX-45R

GARMIN GNC 255A NAV COM W/ CUSTOM HARNESS - AUDIO PANEL

GMC 307 A/P Control Panel

Round dial backup gauges Airspeed/Altimeter/Vertical speed

For a GPS175 and a G5 (HSI), I was quoted $13k this summer (with installation).

When I got a G5 (AI) installed last summer it was $4125 with install.

I would have guessed 15k. See if you can get a better GPS and the G5 with a 15k budget.

I would have guessed 15k. See if you can get a better GPS and the G5 with a 15k budget.
I'm not going to be flying IMC in the LSA but just want it for training purposes. I'm also told with the equipment I have that I technically don't need the G5.

Thanks for all of the info, I was thinking 15-20 hrs as well but seems like the quotes are double whatever I pay for equipment. I wonder if I found GPS175 for 2000, does that mean it's 2k to install? (insert sarcasm)

Back