What route?

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Would you take, from northern Puget Sound to Maine?
aircraft is a F-22, speed 110, max ceiling 13,000', fuel is 12 per hour, auto or 100LL. And of course it's VFR only.
A/C is a fresh restoration and runs perfectly, has 50+ hours with no discrepancies. (yet)

Would you go over the Lakes? (Canada)? or ?

Cross the "big stuff" near Spokane/Coeur D'Alene/Kalispell -->Missoula and then I-90 east.

I would go over the Great Lakes, but I'm a crazy person. If one is not, start making your way towards Iowa from Billings. Cruise south of Cleveland, and then direct Maine.

aircraft is a F-22, speed 110, max ceiling 13,000', fuel is 12 per hour, auto or 100LL. And of course it's VFR only.
A/C is a fresh restoration and runs perfectly, has 50+ hours with no discrepancies. (yet)

F-22? Is their another F-22 that I don't know of?

Pretty sure it's a Fairchild, not the jet.

Canada would be nice/pretty/fun, but I suspect it might be more of a pain to deal with customs/modified N-numbers/US border patrol/insurance....etc.

Personally, I wouldn't fly my WACO (Continental 670) any considerable distance over the Great Lakes let alone an airplane with a Warner, but that is just me. Not badmouthing Warners, but old engines tend to be a little more cantankerous.

I'd probably hug the northern US border and meander along the southern edge of Lake Superior to Mackinac and then south toward Detroit before resuming an easterly course again to Maine. That said, I'd at least research the Canada route and see how much of a pain it would be before ruling it out.

This is an F22 (although this one looks like it has a Ranger engine vice Warner Scarab).

Fairchild_22_C7B_%28N13166%29.jpg

I take it you have a workable radio? I would only bite off the chunk from North of Detroit to Niagara Falls over Canada, no landing, customs or hassle.

The rest I would just go where it makes the most sense, as direct as possible along the Northern U.S. The 1st issue is get by the higher terrain, usually along road/interstate valleys.

The only larger body of water along this route is Lake MI. With it I'd take the narrower part north or the Chicago lskefront.

Another idea is adjusting the route along the way to visit people or places that need visiting.

Depends where the bad weather is sitting. Canada adds some minor hassles and some cost to the trip, but I'm guessing you are being paid the trip and expenses. Montreal makes a nice RON spot. I wouldn't know which route I'd take until I was taking off, weather would be the primary determinant for me.

Depends on the qualifications of the pilot, and if he has a passport
If it has a radio
If it has a transponder
If it has (or can have) 12" numbers
Method of navigation, are you bringing a GPS? Does it have a VOR?

Depends on the qualifications of the pilot, and if he has a passport
If it has a radio
If it has a transponder
If it has (or can have) 12" numbers
Method of navigation, are you bringing a GPS? Does it have a VOR?

Maybe I should add, the Fairchild 22, is a Canadian registered aircraft, and the pilot is a Canadian. Wanting to deliver his resent restored aircraft to his son in New Brunswick Ca. (Across Maine.)

Over the great lakes = north of, like in a lot of wilderness.

It has radios VHF stand alone (no VOR), hand held GPS, Transponder, and Standard C-letters.

I suggested that he pick up the Queens cross continental Highway at Hope BC and follow it across to Montreal, then Direct St. Stevens. NB.
This 22 does not have the radial. it is an adapted ranger 175.

Last edited:
Cross the "big stuff" near Spokane/Coeur D'Alene/Kalispell -->Missoula and then I-90 east.
From Kalispell you can go direct Cut Bank, 77 nm puts you on the east side of the Rocky Mountains, cross the continental divide at Marias Pass, lowest pass across the northern Rockys at under 6000' route of Jim Hills old Great Northern Railway and US Hwy #2. Eight thousand feet will clear the highest ridge west of the pass VFR. IFR you'll need to go to thirteen thousand.
Beautiful scenery, Glacier National Park is just to the north and the Great Bear and Bob Marshall wilderness are just to the south.

Last edited:
From Kalispell you can go direct Cut Bank, 77 nm puts you on the east side of the Rocky Mountains, cross the continental divide at Marias Pass, lowest pass across the northern Rockys at under 6000' route of Jim Hills old Great Northern Railway and US Hwy #2. Eight thousand feet will clear the highest ridge west of the pass VFR. IFR you'll need to go to thirteen thousand.

Actually north of the boarder is lower, still rough country, but lower. Once in Alberta it is flat land all the way to Winnipeg

is there any tax consequence to re-import an airplane that had major work done on it? Might need to taxi through a mud puddle or two, and dream up a story about why it was there. Ship the logs, don't carry evidence!

is there any tax consequence to re-import an airplane that had major work done on it? Might need to taxi through a mud puddle or two, and dream up a story about why it was there. Ship the logs, don't carry evidence!

I don't get where you are going with this. This is a case of a Canadian owner of a Canadian aircraft asking what route he should take to a Canadian destination.

Would you go north of the lakes where the airports are few and far between or south of the lakes where traffic is higher and boarder crossings are involved.

Would you go north of the lakes where the airports are few and far between or south of the lakes where traffic is higher and boarder crossings are involved.
I have done some of both along that border. The issues to me were weather and survival. In the few times I was along there, both tended to push me south of the border and lakes.

I don't get where you are going with this. This is a case of a Canadian owner of a Canadian aircraft asking what route he should take to a Canadian destination.

Yes, but from the US.

You said it was a fresh restore, so it sounded like this was done by you or someone in the US and returning to Canada. Certainly an assumption. I have heard of people going south to buy tires etc for cars or paint jobs, and having 'trouble' with customs when they return (duty tax on these purchases).
Perhaps that is not the case. And I understand that not everyone wants to hear a cautionary tale - if that is true, I am happy to retract it. Or you can ignore it.

Just seems like a cheaper and easier route to stay south of the border until it makes sense to go north.

What is the range of the 22? What are the fuel options going across Canada? That alone might be a good enough reason to stay south.

I don't like pushing my Waco more than 2 hours on full fuel and at 90 kts, that ain't very far. When you land at an airport for a fuel stop (ForeFlight says has fuel) with a 45 min reserve, and find out they are closed or are out of gas, you can find your self stuck in a hurry.

Just seems like a cheaper and easier route to stay south of the border until it makes sense to go north.
I tell ya what...when I got the Waco, I had to learn a whole new kind of flight planning compared to the kind of planning I do in the Baron.

I have done some of both along that border. The issues to me were weather and survival. In the few times I was along there, both tended to push me south of the border and lakes.

Yes, but from the US.

You said it was a fresh restore, so it sounded like this was done by you or someone in the US and returning to Canada. Certainly an assumption. I have heard of people going south to buy tires etc for cars or paint jobs, and having 'trouble' with customs when they return (duty tax on these purchases).
Perhaps that is not the case. And I understand that not everyone wants to hear a cautionary tale - if that is true, I am happy to retract it. Or you can ignore it.
That is what happens on the internet, a body writes some thing thinking it means this, and some one else reads it and comes to a conclusion that it said something else.

There is no issue as to where the work was preformed, as long as it was approved to return to service by the appropriate AME/ A&P, I have a lot of work done by Canadian companies, and we pay the duty on it, suffer the shipping delays by Customs.
I have made several major repairs to Canadian Aircraft, their AMEs come down, inspect my work, make the proper entries to the Canadian maintenance records and the Canadian pilots fly it home. not a big deal.

What is the range of the 22? What are the fuel options going across Canada? That alone might be a good enough reason to stay south.

I don't like pushing my Waco more than 2 hours on full fuel and at 90 kts, that ain't very far. When you land at an airport for a fuel stop (ForeFlight says has fuel) with a 45 min reserve, and find out they are closed or are out of gas, you can find your self stuck in a hurry.

I love it when "self Serve" fuel turns into "Self Service only when someone is here and the airport is open, which isn't today, btw"

For a Canadian ? Why?

I understand he spent the night in Leftbridge last night. tall rocks all behind him.

he's now direct Winnipeg, then as weather allows.

What is the range of the 22? What are the fuel options going across Canada?

I really don't know with the engine swap. The Canadians will have 100LL available, at any of their airports that say they have fuel.

I love it when "self Serve" fuel turns into "Self Service only when someone is here and the airport is open, which isn't today, btw"
Two weekends ago I made a planned fuel stop coming home in the Waco at Ahoskie, NC. Landed and the FBO was locked up tight. Sign on the door said M-F 8-5pm, Saturday: "Sometimes". In other words, when he feels like it. Pump locked up.

I was able to back track to Halifax and got some fuel/tucked the airplane into a hangar before the rain hit.

I really don't know with the engine swap. The Canadians will have 100LL available, at any of their airports that say they have fuel.
My question was more along the lines of how close are the airports in that part of the country. I'm not familiar with flying in Canada.

In other words, if he can't make it to the intended airport, are there airports close enough to divert to in that airplane. That is what I would be concerned about with that airplane based on your comments about the nature of the country along the northern route.

My question was more along the lines of how close are the airports in that part of the country. I'm not familiar with flying in Canada.

In other words, if he can't make it to the intended airport, are there airports close enough to divert to in that airplane. That is what I would be concerned about with that airplane based on your comments about the nature of the country along the northern route.

Most every town of any size has an airport, with fuel??? you would be required to check the latest Canadian Facilities directory to know what/when fuel was available.

For me???? I'd elect Winnipeg, Duluth, Mackinaw,and north of Lake Huron. and on to Montreal. with fuel stops as required.

Back