What rating in what order?

Jorge Gonzalez

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jorge0272
Hi All.
I am planning for the future and need to start soon.
I am planning on purchasing a Cessna 310 or Baron B55. Or maybe a Piper Seneca? Depending on what the best one I can find at the time. Basically a light twin.
I have my ASEL with about 165 hours. I am planning on getting to about 190 then start multi engine training. As soon as I am done with that, I will start IFR training and most likely in a rented twin.
I am thinking the multi rating first so I can purchase the aircraft and get insurance.
(Yes, already spoke to insurance company and they said I need a minimum of 200 hours before they will even look at me for a multi.)
Buy the airplane and do the IFR training in it. I am sure the insurance will be a little less with the IFR rating. Most likely I will start IFR with the rental multi until I can find a good plane.
I am in SoCal. Near Bakersfield. I fly out of L45. If you know of any good multi engine training for a good price, let me know.

What do you guys that have gone through this think?
FYI, The plane I was looking into first was a Bonanza V-Tail, but then the wife saw the Cessna 310 and said to "get that and to forget the V-Tail". So, as a good husband, I will do what she says!

Buy a 310 and put it in an LLC. Hire MEI/CFI-I as a full time mentor and instructor. Rent the 310 from the LLC, do the Commercial ME with VFR restriction then do instrument upgrade, all in 12 months or less.

Don’t go cheap on the airframe, either. Buy the best-equipped, most often flown 310 as that will likely be the most reliable.

I would think "best-equipped, most often flown (aircraft) as that will likely be the most reliable" actually goes for any airplane. I am an A/P, so I can take care of most of the regular maintenance and I know a few IAs.
I can see putting it into an LLC if purchased with partners, but as an individual? I guess more for the LLC owns aircraft and CFI-I is the "employed" CFI-I for the aircraft. Will need to ask the insurance company on that.
Also, why Commercial?

I think it's ridiculous to do an ME checkride then another one to remove the VFR restriction. get the IR first. VFR ME insurance is gonna be punitive, to the point where savings on insurance may just pay for the entire IR rating anyway.

IMO.

I think it's ridiculous to do an ME checkride then another one to remove the VFR restriction. get the IR first. VFR ME insurance is gonna be punitive, to the point where savings on insurance may just pay for the entire IR rating anyway.

IMO.

…̵ ̵I̵ ̵u̵n̵d̵e̵r̵s̵t̵o̵o̵d̵ ̵O̵P̵’̵s̵ ̵p̵a̵t̵h̵ ̵i̵s̵ ̵a̵c̵q̵u̵i̵s̵i̵t̵i̵o̵n̵,̵ ̵t̵h̵e̵n̵ ̵d̵o̵ ̵M̵E̵ ̵a̵d̵d̵-̵o̵n̵ ̵o̵r̵ ̵d̵o̵ ̵I̵R̵A̵ ̵u̵p̵g̵r̵a̵d̵e̵ ̵s̵e̵c̵o̵n̵d̵…̵.̵i̵n̵s̵u̵r̵a̵n̵c̵e̵ ̵i̵s̵ ̵g̵o̵i̵n̵g̵ ̵t̵o̵ ̵b̵e̵ ̵p̵u̵n̵i̵t̵i̵v̵e̵ ̵n̵o̵ ̵m̵a̵t̵t̵e̵r̵ ̵w̵h̵a̵t̵.̵
̵
̵E̵T̵A̵:̵ ̵ ̵s̵m̵a̵r̵t̵e̵s̵t̵ ̵t̵h̵i̵n̵g̵ ̵i̵s̵ ̵t̵o̵ ̵r̵e̵n̵t̵ ̵t̵h̵r̵u̵ ̵a̵l̵l̵ ̵t̵h̵a̵t̵ ̵t̵h̵e̵n̵ ̵b̵u̵y̵.̵

Ridiculous is recommending a Duke.

Last edited:
If I get the IFR in a single, do I need to do another IFR check-ride in the multi?
I have no problem doing all my training in the rental. My issue is, there is not many rental aircraft in my area.

If I get the IFR in a single, do I need to do another IFR check-ride in the multi?
Yes, you’ll need to demonstrate primarily engine-out procedures and an approach.

The instrument ACS will identify the specific tasks that you’ll have to accomplish.

So then if I am going to purchase a multi, might be better to do IFR in the multi. I can start multi training and add some of that to the IFR.

IMO.
If he gets his VFR multi in somebody else’s airplane, and then does his instrument in his own airplane, the insurance company might buy off on it because of the extensive dual instruction required, and he could double-dip by logging it as PIC, which the insurance company would also like.

Might be easier to do IFR and get the Bonanza V-Tail. Would love the multi, but not the cost associated with them.

I have no problem doing all my training in the rental. My issue is, there is not many rental aircraft in my area.

Not a second checkride, IIRC it was a single task added to the ME ride you were already going to do.

I think it's worth getting quotes. Let's see what the underwriters value these days.

Pick an N number for a 310 from controller. Use the asking price (not $CALL :D ) as the hull value. Quote two scenarios (use 2 different brokers and two different N numbers if one gets lazy and won't quote hypotheticals for you)

Let's do VFR, ASMEL, no instrument rating, 225 hours, 25 ME and 25 make/model.

Then do IR, ASMEL, 250 hours, 0 ME, 0 in make/model

I think the difference at 150k hull or so will be 5k/yr or more in favor of having the IR. Particularly since you're scoping out 6 seat medium twins. They are so random of late, I'll believe anything honestly.

No ATP for me. Just looking to fly for fun.
Will call some companies tomorrow and see what they say.

Back