What plane is this?

ejensen

Pattern Altitude
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Eric Jensen
A friend sent me this picture today. She doesn't know what it is and neither do I.

Eric

Are you sure it's an airplane?

Pilawt said:
Where was this taken?

I didn't provide any details yet on purpose. There are some pretty sharp folks here. Thought I give it a little while.

It is an airplane and it is underwater.:D

Picture was taken in the Truk (now Chuuk) Lagoon.

Eric

my S.W.A.G. (Scientific Wild-A**ed Guess) is that it's the side blister of a PBY flying boat. do you actually know or are you fishing?

Eamon said:
1 st guess ...................Yokosuka D4Y Suisei

Yokozuna.......? Isn't that some sort of disgusting wrestling move I saw on "The Man Show"? E.....you're crazy man. :D

My guess is it's all metal post-WWII British fighter used in recon. The PBY blister did open, but it wasn't a sliding canopy and the opening segment was between two clear plexi fixed panels.

At first glance, a baka bomb.

trombair said:
my S.W.A.G. (Scientific Wild-A**ed Guess) is that it's the side blister of a PBY flying boat. do you actually know or are you fishing?

I really don't know but would like too. A friend brought this back from a dive trip earlier this month and knew I was a pilot and might be interested. She doesn't know either. I will ask if she remembers anything else about the wreck.

There seems to be an antenna attached. And more structure is visible in the upper left. I can post higher res if that would help.

2nd guess.............. Nakajima A6M2-N ???

Gotta be Japanese........... I don't think anyone else lost planes in that area :)

Eamon said:
2nd guess.............. Nakajima A6M2-N ???

That would be the famed Mitsubishi A6M2 Model 11, carrier based "Zero".

Darn, I would LOVE to dive Truk. That's my dream destiantion for scuba. Only problem you need at least 2 weeks to do it right.

Pilawt said:
Anthony, I thought it looked more like a Stinson Sentinel! :D

OMG! You're right. Its the famed Stinson Zero!. LOL!!!

:wineglass:

You got me Pilawt!

Well if you guys are going diving i want to go too,
Dave G
open water.advanced open water,nitrox ,and Dry suit certs.

so was I the only one that saw the title and expected some sort of aviation themed version of "What Child is This?"

I must have Christmas on the brain. heh

I spent several hours tonight trying to find even one irrefutable proof that the picture is a Betty bomber. This is as close as I got. It shows the cockpit of the Betty at Truk, which evidently is a famous dive. I'm still not convinced if the original pic is this a/c.

bettytwo%20big.jpg

Last edited:
Richard said:
I spent several hours tonight trying to find even one irrefutable proof that the picture is a Betty bomber. This is as close as I got. It shows the cockpit of the Betty at Truk, which evidently is a famous dive. I'm still not convinced if the original pic is this a/c.

I'll check with the diver and see what she says. I think this looks right. The size and antenna sure fit that rear canopy on the drawing. I couldn't find any good photos of a Betty showing that area. If it is the same plane the angle is hiding much of the wreakage.

Hurry!!!!!! I've found myself checking POA about fifteen times an hour here at work.....

The sales floor is pretty dull here (carpet store) two days before Christmas....

--Matt:goofy:

Here is some more I've found......

http://www.metalvortex.com/truk/Bomber_Full.htm

Notice in the pic the loop antenna is gone but the canopy looks the same as the original pic. I just wasn't convinced because there were several details which were dissimilar to the pic Eric posted. It now looks like it is the one Betty in Truk lagoon.

That change in my opinion is based solely on the pics I've seen. The builder's plans and other diagrams show the loop antenna (a modification of the original dorsal twin .30 gun turret (the guns were license-built Vickers)) well forward of the dorsal canopy and mounted on the fuselage just aft of the cockpit. Also, I thought the top gunner entered/exited the a/c through the cockpit so a sliding canopy was not required. In WWII there were many mods to a/c of all nations. I know for the US and UK a/c the mods came at such a rapid pace (sometimes field mod) that they were not properly recorded. Perhaps the same for Japanese a/c.

An aside: the myriad of pics I've seen on my 'net search has revealed how divers are destroying the dive site at Truk. Many instances of a diver taking a pic of his buddy vandalizing some WWII artifact. This would be a possible explanation why the loop antenna is missing in this pic, although it looks like a portion of the antenna mount is still in place.

Gunners_Position_-_Betty_Bomber.jpg

Last edited:
The rogue said:
Hurry!!!!!! I've found myself checking POA about fifteen times an hour here at work.....

The sales floor is pretty dull here (carpet store) two days before Christmas....

--Matt:goofy:
I would think the sales floor in a carpet store would be pretty sharp, with new carpet, that is!!! :D

:goofy: Ha! Sometimes I crack myself up! :goofy:

I'm convinced you got it Richard. Thanks for all your work. It has to be the rear canopy of the Betty. I'm not sure it is the same plane as the web site. The picture I posted was taken three weeks ago and the antenna was intact.

I talked to the diver and it is part of a larger wreck. With at least one engine and a propeller near by. The photographer keeps a dive log. My friend is off to Cozumel but will check with him on return to see if he knows more.

Eric

ejensen said:
I'm convinced you got it Richard. Thanks for all your work. It has to be the rear canopy of the Betty. I'm not sure it is the same plane as the web site. The picture I posted was taken three weeks ago and the antenna was intact.

I talked to the diver and it is part of a larger wreck. With at least one engine and a propeller near by. The photographer keeps a dive log. My friend is off to Cozumel but will check with him on return to see if he knows more.

Eric
Yeah, I find it hard to believe that there would be only one Betty on the bottom at Truk. But it's been almost 62 years since the attack and I know the park sevice didn't try to protect everything.

Also, judging from the coloration of your friend's pic as it appears on my monitor your friend needs to pay attention to using the appropriate color corrected film. The pic is a greenish hue but I know the water in the lagoon at that depth is blue (aqua to navy).

Richard said:
Also, judging from the coloration of your friend's pic as it appears on my monitor your friend needs to pay attention to using the appropriate color corrected film. The pic is a greenish hue but I know the water in the lagoon at that depth is blue (aqua to navy).

Yeah, my friend said the photographer (not her) had just got all the underwater toys and was learning about colors, light scatter, etc.

ejensen said:
Yeah, my friend said the photographer (not her) had just got all the underwater toys and was learning about colors, light scatter, etc.
I wonder if Harley is willing to step up to the plate here. He probably knows more about photography then all of us put together. Maybe, if the parties are willing, you could facilitate a cyber-meeting with your friend. I like here because then we all get to learn.

Nonetheless, it is a good picture. (I thought it important to add that.)

Richard said:
I wonder if Harley is willing to step up to the plate here. He probably knows more about photography then all of us put together. Maybe, if the parties are willing, you could facilitate a cyber-meeting with your friend. I like here because then we all get to learn.

Nonetheless, it is a good picture. (I thought it important to add that.)

We'll see what happens. I don't know the photographer just the mutual friend.

Back