What methods/techniques to lower maintenance costs

When I started looking for my Arrow I did some research and heard all sorts of horror stories about those that has air conditioning. Since there had to be two belts in the same space that used to have only one they had a bad habit of flipping inverted and eating themselves alive. There were all sorts of suggestions from replacing idlers to the perfect tension adjustments. The broker I was using suggested exactly what Tony spoke of which was hanging a spare belt or two to the engine lift fixture so when one broke a new one could be slid into position without having to remove the prop. Sounded fishy to me.

The belt on my arrow seems to have lasted for ever (non AC) as it has paint overspray on it from the last paint job in 2003. Still looks like new.

Rear-mounted alternators of the world unite!

I think it's stupid to buy a plane with a front-mount alternator. And to only have one of them on the plane. ;)

No biggie, when they go glass they can get rid of the vacuum pump and there's an alternator that bolts on in its place.

Rear-mounted alternators of the world unite!

I think it's stupid to buy a plane with a front-mount alternator. And to only have one of them on the plane. ;)

I find it a hell of a lot easier to just not have an alternator. Those that do are stupid. Same goes for starter.

From where I sit in the cockpit my alternator IS behind the engine, But then so is the propeller and I know this isn't a pusher prop. But it is Saturday and I need to go shave and shower for a funeral ....... no I keep getting that wrong I meant wedding.

Y'all have a great afternoon.

I find it a hell of a lot easier to just not have an alternator. Those that do are stupid. Same goes for starter.

I like the way you think!

-VanDy

No biggie, when they go glass they can get rid of the vacuum pump and there's an alternator that bolts on in its place.

Yeah, unless you're like me and need the vacuum pump to provide pressure to the boots. You save the MX expense and parts requirement, and go a bit faster (until you load up with ice). But since I have two alternators (and two vacuum pumps) anyway, I'm happy. :D

I can't remember whether it's GAMI or TAT, but last time I was down there George was saying something about the pad-mounted backup alternator they have. Nice unit, and very nice to have on a single.

Smart man! :yes:

Back