What kind of clouds are these?

SaltH2OHokie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Driving to work yesterday morning, these clouds looked distinct...what kind of clouds and what would the weather implications be for flying?

That's looking East out of the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay from the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.

Attachments

• IMG_20171110_070320355.jpg
    IMG_20171110_070320355.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 121
Shooting from the hip they look like lenticular clouds. Airflow in the clouds is a smooth wave. Below it there may be a shear layer that can be bumpy. The overall system is stable. It’ll be a cloudy day for flying.

As a student pilot studying for my meteorology exam, and with very little confidence in my cloud naming ability...I think they are stratus or altostratus (or a combination of both) and they imply stable weather.

I see stratus in them, but the regularity of the shapes make me wonder what is happening there, maybe there is a good amount of mixing going on which might make for turbulence below them. The wave aspect is interesting though. I'm wondering about the land under, if there are field-forest-field-forest.

In other words, I don't know and don't listen to me.

Meteorology is like opening up a whole can of worms. I've always felt like I wanted to learn about it, and now have to in order to pass my exam, and I find I like it a lot. I always wanted to "know" about weather, but intuitively knew it would be a nasty, unpredictable endeavor. Still, I try. The more I "learn" the more uncertain I become.

I knew more about weather before I started. Now I know less, but can go on about it much more.

Right now I'm arrogant enough to think I have an inkling about the Corialis effect, yet all information I find only ever talks about a high in the lower latitude forcing a wind towards the north, being affected. I can't figure out what happens when the high is more north than the southern low pressure area.

So, sorry, I really don't know.

As the chemtrail aircraft's chemical tanks become depleted, the pickup tube will alternately suck nitrogen and then the chemical as the remaining liquids slosh around the bottom of the tank. So, you will see voids in the chemical spray near the end of the spray run. Not good for the pump to cavitate like that, the newer versions have an autoshut-off which senses the depleted tank and kills the motor for the pilot.

Nothing but Atlantic Ocean under those clouds. But the wave part is what got me staring at them (and also the road...)
Yeah, something upstream initiated the wave and it continues for many miles. The resultant clouds are standing in the sense that they don’t move with the air, they continually form and dissipate.

Im taking a guess that they are cirrocumulus standing lenticular. Kind of a "ragged lenticular".

I would say the result of a mountain wave. A good Skew-T person would be able to see it if they pulled the soundings from when you saw it.

Back