what is this?

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Found this near the EED VOR. maybe 100 yrds away. What is it?

eed1.JPG

I'm kinda curious about the pattern on the ground as well. Looks like rocks have been raked into an X pattern.

Last edited:
i should add that there was the standard FAA warning sign on the fence so whatever this is, its aviation related.

faawarn.JPG

Last edited:
It's the TAC part of VORTAC. The gravel is a covering of the cable trenches and is used to keep furry critters from digging the cables. RF radiation is attractive to critters. The cables radiate out to other elements in the antenna array, power source, etc.

What were you doing close, maybe 100 yards, to a VOR installation?

Last edited:
It's the TAC part of VORTAC. The gravel is a covering of the cable trenches and is used to keep furry critters from digging the cables. RF radiation is attractive to critters. The cables radiate out to other elements in the antenna array, power source, etc.

We were closer than 100 yards, for sure.

BTW - its not a TACAN, this is a TACAN:

tacan_plane.jpg

You'll find them at the top of VORs I believe

edit: like this:
vortac.jpg

It looks a lot like an NDB antenna. But I don't see an NDB on the charts.
On edit - maybe it's the antenna for the RCO there.

Last edited:
It looks a lot like an NDB antenna. But I don't see an NDB on the charts.
On edit - maybe it's the antenna for the RCO there.
I've never seen an NDB that looks like that.
Usually NDB's are a cable stretched between two towers, with an antenna dangling beneath.

RCO sounds possible....

Could it be a WAAS antenna?

Last edited:
There was a really tall spearlike tower right next to the VOR, which I assumed was the antenna for the RCO. But maybe not,....

There was a really tall spearlike tower right next to the VOR, which I assumed was the antenna for the RCO. But maybe not,....
Thats what i suspected as well Nick.
attached is that pic.

vortower.jpg

If that isn't proof of an alien life form, I don't know what is. FAA my butt. Notice the government sign? What are they really trying to hide? Aliens, my boy, aliens. That there is a signalling tower to the Martians. They'll be coming soon, and boy are they pi$$ed about their boys being held captive at Area 51!

Hmm. Probably not a good idea to just climb over the fence and turn it on and off a few times to see what happens.

The umbrella looking antenna is for DF at Needles which is decommisioned. The antenna above that is the RCO for Prescott FSS I do believe. The cylinder on top of the VOR is indeed a TACAN. The tall pole setting right next to the VOR is a monitor reference antenna.

Last edited:
The umbrella looking antenna is for DF at Needles which is decommisioned. The antenna above that is the RCO for Prescott FSS I do believe. The cylinder on top of the VOR is indeed a TACAN. The tall pole setting right next to the VOR is a monitor reference antenna.
Nice, JR, thanks for clearing that up!

BTW when can I ride in the Hawker?

I'm kinda asking the same question! Ha, come on out to OKC....we'll get something worked out for ya.

I'm kinda asking the same question! Ha, come on out to OKC....we'll get something worked out for ya.

(ATC notices surge in flight activity headed for OKC; JR bemoans, "It ain't a 747, folks!")

Looks like a DF antenna. Probably used by FSS?

Seriously? Sweet!

I third it. It is a DF antenna. When the system worked, the way it figured out direction was by the same method as we humans figure out direction, Time of Arrival (ToA). Since each of the antennas are at a know distance and direction a calculation can be made as to the direction of a linear signal striking the antennas by when it is received by the antennas. Your ears figure out direction the same way. If you hear it out your left ear, the sound is in the direction, if you hear it in your left ear and then your right ear it is somewhere left and in front of you. Same thing with the antennas. You are going to see more of this technique as it is being brought into cellular and wireless data systems along with spatial diversity schemes.

Perhaps looking around?

I *highly* doubt the amount of RF transmitted from a VOR is anywhere near a level that would be considered harmful. Even with continuous exposure I would be awfully surprised if it were to be a concern.

Statistically your biggest safety concern there would probably be two idiots tracking the VOR and colliding followed by crashing onto your head.

Perhaps looking around?

I *highly* doubt the amount of RF transmitted from a VOR is anywhere near a level that would be considered harmful. Even with continuous exposure I would be awfully surprised if it were to be a concern.

Statistically your biggest safety concern there would probably be two idiots tracking the VOR and colliding followed by crashing onto your head.

I think the odds are better for getting bit by a rattle snake at this particular VOR.

I third it. It is a DF antenna. When the system worked, the way it figured out direction was by the same method as we humans figure out direction, Time of Arrival (ToA). Since each of the antennas are at a know distance and direction a calculation can be made as to the direction of a linear signal striking the antennas by when it is received by the antennas. Your ears figure out direction the same way. If you hear it out your left ear, the sound is in the direction, if you hear it in your left ear and then your right ear it is somewhere left and in front of you. Same thing with the antennas. You are going to see more of this technique as it is being brought into cellular and wireless data systems along with spatial diversity schemes.

For many years, Nissan factory installed radios had diversity antennas....

Looks like an NDB ( Non Directional Beacon) antenna to me. Bob

Last edited:
This picture made me laugh! I think I'll send it on to the next beaurocratic bobblehead who starts squealing about the need for heightened GA security. Looks like the FAA dug up a prop from Barbara Eden's Big Valley.

i should add that there was the standard FAA warning sign on the fence so whatever this is, its aviation related.

faawarn.JPG

Back