What is this item on the panel?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
On an advertisment for a C182, there was an item below the 2nd radio that I don't recall seeing or discussed before.

Its the item with the keypad on the RH portion.

Any chance of some help identifying it and it's function?

attachment.php

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 277
On an advertisment for a C182, there was an item below the 2nd radio that I don't recall seeing or discussed before.

Its the item with the keypad on the RH portion.

Any chance of some help identifying it and it's function?

It's for entering data in an RNAV system; a Bendix unit, late '70s vintage, IIRC.

Morse code key?

:D

Thought it might be a loran, but looks more like a Place/Bearing/Distance RNAV unit similar to a KNS80.

A TSA "General Aviator Secure Flight Input Device"©.
Each time you start the engine and at the flare on landing you must input a discreet (for that flight or approach) PIN in order to complete the flight or approach without being intercepted by the Air Force. This to reduce the threat of cracking building brickwork with your C-150 or similar plane. Of course mastering input and flaring simultaneously is a skill only obtained by many many hours of dual instruction, with a security officer in the back seat. ;)

Must be where you put your ATM card and punch in your PIN in order to keep flying! :D

credit card swipe machine for AvGas

Whatever it is I think it used to be installed in K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider.

I didn't think an INS would fit in a 182....

Martin Baker activation switch?

It's cool looking, though. I'd leave it in, even if inop, and just start pressing buttons to impress your pax. When they ask what you are doing, just say "It's pilot stuff; you wouldn't understand." :D

The Skyhawk my wife learned to fly in had an ancient RNAV. I tought her how to use it (The old brown airguide books had RNAV coordinates for all the airports). Her instructor had already told her NO GPS on her XC's. But when he found her dialing up the RNAV, he extended it to NO RNAV.

I sent a query to the broker asking about the item. Response just arrived:

Mike

This is the original RNAV that came with the aircraft. Believe it or not this was the top line avionics package from Cessna in 1983. The current owner bought the aircraft new then and has flown with it ever since, At age 92 he doesn't believe in GPS.

John Cordes

Private Flight Brokerage
908-669-1926

Sigh. I was hoping that it was the device where I enter my favorite 11-digit prime number.

I read of a Twin Commander being equipped and certified to fly Category II approaches. I was sort of hoping this aircraft might also have been built up to a totally unnecessary standard.

Back