What is the Airport Qualification Program ?

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
While looking up the best way to get my self to Beckley, WV this summer, I came across something I've never seen before. I was looking at the various approaches into Beckley on Foreflight and I noticed that the airport diagram was called Airport Qualification Program. I tried to access it but FF kept coming up with a "file not available" error.

Googling it, I came across a FAR 121 rule on PIC operations into these so called "special airports". I also found a Jepp training program with Beckley listed as an airport.

So anyone know exactly what this program is? Is it just special training on that specific airport? If so, what makes Beckley fall into this classification?

Last edited:
Every night is Bridgeday.:yes: Have fun in Beckley.:wink2:

Every night is Bridgeday.:yes: Have fun in Beckley.:wink2:

Oh, I will! K is working up there all summer at the high adventure scout base. :D So I want to a least go up there once and visit since I wont see her for three months. :(

I do not think that is the same thing. It talks about CRM, line crew and advance operational training.

"Under the AQP the FAA is authorized to approve significant departures from traditional requirements, subject to justification of an equivalent or better level of safety. "

I thought maybe it might be related. Only thing I found.

"Under the AQP the FAA is authorized to approve significant departures from traditional requirements, subject to justification of an equivalent or better level of safety. "

I thought maybe it might be related. Only thing I found.

It might be. I guess we need someone that has jepp charts or works for a 121.

No, AQP isn't what you're talking about. The FAA has a list of special airports. At least one of the pilots must have operated there in the last 12 months or they must review the airport qualification packet prior to operating in IFR conditions.

http://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/opss guidance/specialairportlistrevisionfeb2010.htm

§121.445 Pilot in command airport qualification: Special areas and airports.
(a) The Administrator may determine that certain airports (due to items such as surrounding terrain, obstructions, or complex approach or departure procedures) are special airports requiring special airport qualifications and that certain areas or routes, or both, require a special type of navigation qualification.

(b) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, no certificate holder may use any person, nor may any person serve, as pilot in command to or from an airport determined to require special airport qualifications unless, within the preceding 12 calendar months:

(1) The pilot in command or second in command has made an entry to that airport (including a takeoff and landing) while serving as a pilot flight crewmember; or

(2) The pilot in command has qualified by using pictorial means acceptable to the Administrator for that airport.

(c) Paragraph (b) of this section does not apply when an entry to that airport (including a takeoff or a landing) is being made if the ceiling at that airport is at least 1,000 feet above the lowest MEA or MOCA, or initial approach altitude prescribed for the instrument approach procedure for that airport, and the visibility at that airport is at least 3 miles.

(d) No certificate holder may use any person, nor may any person serve, as pilot in command between terminals over a route or area that requires a special type of navigation qualification unless, within the preceding 12 calendar months, that person has demonstrated qualification on the applicable navigation system in a manner acceptable to the Administrator, by one of the following methods:

(1) By flying over a route or area as pilot in command using the applicable special type of navigation system.

(2) By flying over a route or area as pilot in command under the supervision of a check airman using the special type of navigation system.

(3) By completing the training program requirements of appendix G of this part.

[Doc. No. 17897, 45 FR 41594, June 19, 1980]

Does anyone have the reason why Beckley is on that list? I know it doesn't mess with part 91 flying. However, it would be helpful to know what to expect.

Beckley is down in a bowl in the mountains. Nice airport. Visited there during my Mooney transition training. Didn't make the Scout Jamboree grand opening due to mechanical issues . . . since resolved, just poor timing.

Have a good trip. Watch DA, and careful of rising terrain in all directions.

Back