What IS IT with pilots named Shaffer?

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Do I remember this from when it happened?

According to Miami-Dade police, a Brazilian crew was qualifying new flight equipment for steep approaches on May 30, 2006, when Thomas Shaffer, 49, flew his Piper Seminole twin-engine aircraft in the direct path of the jet.

At one point he came within 100 feet of the jet, which could have caused a mid-air collision, police said.

Police believe Shaffer, of Miami, was trying to thwart the testing.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-830pilotcharged,0,5143849.story?coll=sofla_tab01_layout

He appealed his FAA revocation to the NTSB. Wonder what he gave as his justification. :dunno:

I don't get it...why would steep approaches hurt the airport's expansion plan and how in the hell did he expect the revocation by the governing agency to be over turned by the agency that was almost investigating his "accident???"

Here's the NTSB paper on this one. Shaffer's justification for the appeal as stated in the NTSB Order was:
"...(1) there was not sufficient evidence for the law judge’s finding that respondent was the pilot-in-command of N3050H; (2) there was no basis for the law judge’s finding of a FAR section 91.111(a) violation, given that respondent was not shown to have violated any communication requirements in uncontrolled airspace and did not violate any right-of-way requirements; and (3) the sanction of revocation is an excessive penalty. Respondent also raises numerous issues about purportedly prejudicial discovery deficiencies, and other procedural matters, that, essentially, amount to a claim that he did not receive a fair hearing."
The NTSB didn't buy a bit of that.

BTW, the Smoketown pilot was Hayden Sheaffer, not "Shaffer."

Here's the NTSB paper on this one. Shaffer's justification for the appeal as stated in the NTSB Order was:
"...(1) there was not sufficient evidence for the law judge’s finding that respondent was the pilot-in-command of N3050H; (2) there was no basis for the law judge’s finding of a FAR section 91.111(a) violation, given that respondent was not shown to have violated any communication requirements in uncontrolled airspace and did not violate any right-of-way requirements; and (3) the sanction of revocation is an excessive penalty. Respondent also raises numerous issues about purportedly prejudicial discovery deficiencies, and other procedural matters, that, essentially, amount to a claim that he did not receive a fair hearing."
The NTSB didn't buy a bit of that.

BTW, the Smoketown pilot was Hayden Sheaffer, not "Shaffer."
OK. Shaffer owned the flight school on the airport. :dunno: I hope he wasn't the AOPA airport rep.

So I guess his argument was he didn't want the jet to make noise and hurt his efforts to lobby for runway expansion ...so they could get more jets there?

I think the obvious display of rational thinking....

So I guess his argument was he didn't want the jet to make noise and hurt his efforts to lobby for runway expansion ...so they could get more jets there?
I suspect he wanted to have the expansion, and was concerned that if they could shoehorn the jet in with this special procedure they were testing, the runway expansion plans would be shelved.

Somewhat ironically, wasn't one of the guys (the younger one) involved in the famous ADIZ excursion trying to open a flight school/FBO? If I remember correctly, he had an incredibly cheesy website.

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!....

Somewhat ironically, wasn't one of the guys (the younger one) involved in the famous ADIZ excursion trying to open a flight school/FBO?
Troy D. Martin, a Student Pilot who was a passenger in the plane piloted by Hayden Sheaffer which made that "famous ADIZ exursion," is working on a lot more than that (although not, according to his web site, his pilot certificate). See the Martin Aviation Group website.

If I remember correctly, he had an incredibly cheesy website.
You are free to express your personal opinion of the MAG web site's quality (which is your opinion alone, and not that of PoA or its Management Council), but please, folks, don't nobody go violating their jealously defended copyrighted material by pasting it up here -- links only, please.

God yes, lets please not have a repeat of that fiasco...

Speaking of links, check out this bit of quality content* : http://www.martinaviationgroup.com/bank.html

* The statement of quality is my own personal perception. No statement of quality may be inferred or implied from reading this post or other posts or other websites located on or off of the information super highway. Your milage may vary, down payment due at lease signing, batteries not included, please don't take this too seriously.

You are free to express your personal opinion of the MAG web site's quality (which is your opinion alone, and not that of PoA or its Management Council), but please, folks, don't nobody go violating their jealously defended copyrighted material by pasting it up here -- links only, please.

I had forgotten about that whole episode - post deleted.

Speaking of links, check out this bit of quality content* : http://www.martinaviationgroup.com/bank.html

* The statement of quality is my own personal perception. No statement of quality may be inferred or implied from reading this post or other posts or other websites located on or off of the information super highway. Your milage may vary, down payment due at lease signing, batteries not included, please don't take this too seriously.
You are, no doubt, referring to the deadness of this link (and it's really what you get when you click on "Bank" on the MAG web site), which returns a 404 "not found" error. [sigh]*

* [sigh] is a registered trademark of Chien Medical and Aviation Services, PLC; used by permission.

I had forgotten about that whole episode - post deleted.
Oh, heck -- no need for that -- you were fine -- go ahead and repost it! I was only worried that some responders might inadvertently cross the copyright line whose previous crossing got us a nastygram signed by MAG's lawyers.

Oh, heck -- no need for that -- you were fine -- go ahead and repost it! I was only worried that some responders might inadvertently cross the copyright line whose previous crossing got us a nastygram signed by MAG's lawyers.

Better safe than sorry! Out of curiousity, is that episode the reason for the copyright message on the main page?

Back