What is an Air Boss?

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
I heard about this term before, used in an aviation related context, but I never knew the definition of the term.

Are they the same as or similar to flight dispatchers?

An air boss runs the flying activities at an air show.

An air boss runs the flying activities at an air show.

Yeah I thought it had something to do with running an airshow. Somehow, I always thought the air boss is an announcer or commentator that speaks over the PA speaker system announcing to the crowds of people what the pilot is doing or just commenting on the flight activities at an airshow.

I thought you were talking about an Air Boss on a carrier. Never mind.

Yeah I thought it had something to do with running an airshow. Somehow, I always thought the air boss is an announcer or commentator that speaks over the PA speaker system announcing to the crowds of people what the pilot is doing or just commenting on the flight activities at an airshow.

Announcer stands next to the air boss on the platform at show center. He coordinates with the air boss.

Some are retired air traffic controllers. What's funny is there's no official FAA certification for an air boss. I was reading an article on the NTSB investigation into the Reno crash in 2011 and some of the inspectors had no idea there was no certification process. Last year ICAS proposed a certification process for air bosses so it would be long before they have to undergo some official training.

I actually volunteered as an air boss for a small air show in Americus, Ga back in the 90s. I was a controller at the time and private pilot and a love for air shows. Worked out great!

It's a fuel discount card offered by Airnav.com.

Its a Navy term:

Air Officer.

Also known as the air boss, the air officer (along with his assistant, the miniboss) is responsible for all aspects of operations involving aircraft including the hangar deck, the flight deck, and airborne aircraft out to 5 nautical miles from the carrier.

Announcer stands next to the air boss on the platform at show center. He coordinates with the air boss.

Some are retired air traffic controllers. What's funny is there's no official FAA certification for an air boss. I was reading an article on the NTSB investigation into the Reno crash in 2011 and some of the inspectors had no idea there was no certification process. Last year ICAS proposed a certification process for air bosses so it would be long before they have to undergo some official training.

I actually volunteered as an air boss for a small air show in Americus, Ga back in the 90s. I was a controller at the time and private pilot and a love for air shows. Worked out great!

Exactly.

Air Boss also controls activity within a wildfire firefighting TFR.

I thought you were talking about an Air Boss on a carrier. Never mind.
That was the first thing I thought of, probably because my Step Father was an Air Boss on several carriers during his career.

From the portion of FAA Order 8900.1 that governs air show waivers:

"3) Air Boss. The individual who has the primary responsibility for air show operations on the active taxiways, runways, and the surrounding air show demonstration area."

I suspect the airshow term airboss comes from the carrier use of the term.

My wife gets to be the "airboss" of the Udvar-Hazy pilot day fly in as she coordinates all the aircraft activities though it's pretty much groundbased.

Didn't barnstormers put on organized shows before the US Navy had a carrier?

Doubtful they had or needed an air boss. They didn't even have radios. The air boss was the pilot.

Particularly in Waivered Airspace, like at air shows, the Air Boss is in control of the airspace, is responsible to the FAA for the waiver and all activities within the space, ground, and air. My spouse is Air Boss for several shows in Indiana. It's a lot of work, filing the waiver, dealing with the FAA before, during and after, doing the pre-show briefing and getting all that ready...the actual Air Bossing part of it during the show is the easier part usually. Until that moron busts through the space without talking to anybody in the middle of the skydivers coming down, of course...

Does the Air Boss have the authority to end the airshow Notam early, after the performers are done, so that ordinary pilots on the field can depart?

Does the Air Boss have the authority to end the airshow Notam early, after the performers are done, so that ordinary pilots on the field can depart?

I've seen this before departing Falcon Field in Atlanta. Air show ended early and the air boss allowed us to depart before the NOTAM expired. A lot if times the NOTAM will have the air boss phone number or freq for contact on TFR details. Seen Wayne Boggs specifically listed in the NOTAM. I imagine they're the ones who call it in to FSS in the first place.

Back