What is a VOR "COP"?

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
Very recently I came across a study buddy question involving what I guess is an acronym dealing with VORs.

The question is "Where is the VOR COP on V27 between the GVO and MQO VORTACS?" (Then you would look at the low enroute chart).

I have no clue what they are even asking me or what I'm even supposed to be looking for.:dunno:

Last edited:
Changeover point - the point on the airway when you switch from using the VOR behind you for lateral guidance to using the VOR in front of you.

Yes, Change Over Point. If the COP isn't depicted on the chart it's assumed to be the halfway point.

The COP is usually marked where terrain dictates for reception at the lower altitudes.

It looks like a swastika symbol on IFR en route charts

Thanks guys [slaps palm onto forehead]. I never would've guessed that's what it stood for. Totally unnecessary abbreviating that.

They be tryin' to trip folks up with them trick questions. :p

"Entourage chart"--does that show the organizational structure of your posse?:D

Actually, I never knew the word "entourage" existed until now, so some good did come of it.

Change over point is either:

1) where there is a bend in the airway
2) the funny crooked little line that looks like a Z (look at the IFR chart legend for an example)
3) if neither 1 or 2 are present, the halfway point between the VORs at either end of the segment of the airway.

VFR COP:
5ea2cb9b938c89e1db4033a1a1d012eaae56ead5b966ad36fee8bb6a387e8617.jpg

Back