What is a TRUE 4 place airplane?

The Old Man said:
If you think that is true, please do not, repeat, do not, marry a school teacher. They can hold out forever. :eek:
Deano. You need a C182. 235 hp. You can always throttle back but in the 180 and 200 hp models you cannot throttle beyond the firewall.

There is no substitute for horsepower. None.

Lifecycle costs will be low as for some reasons, C182s are just not that expensive to keep.

I would strongly recommend a Cessna 182 or a Cherokee 235. I bought a 1967 Cessna 182 because I wanted a "true" four place plane, and I am very glad I did.

Well, some people have danced around this issue, but I will take it head on. The single most important issue is the weights of the people you want to haul. You can fudge on fuel, but only so much, and that won't necessarily help with the CG, and of course then there is the issue of baggage. Someone said "real" people and then cited "600 lbs of people". That's only 150 lbs/person. You'd be amazed how fast the people weight adds up. I'm alarmed on numerous occasions when I see people loading their airplanes with people of more, um, shall we say, "modern" proportions. I am CERTAIN I have seen airplanes take off over gross because of that.

Comfort, DA, etc., are all very important, of course, but I'd recommend you take a good look at who you're going to fly, be realistic about what they really weigh (if I detect even a HINT of evasion when I ask people what they weigh, I add 20 pounds), and see if that still fits the airplane you're thinking of buying.

Judy

judypilot said:
Comfort, DA, etc., are all very important, of course, but I'd recommend you take a good look at who you're going to fly, be realistic about what they really weigh (if I detect even a HINT of evasion when I ask people what they weigh, I add 20 pounds), and see if that still fits the airplane you're thinking of buying.
My trick for getting people's weights -- if the loading is close to the limit -- is to use the FBO's scale to weigh people WITH their luggage (which helps them save face), then I urge everyone to use the head before we leave, and while they are gone I weigh the bags separately.

I once flew my wife's old boss on a couple of trips and he SAID he weighed 245. He was fudging by nearly 50 pounds. Try putting THAT in the back row of a Lance and taking off when it's 95 degrees out.

Ken Ibold said:
I once flew my wife's old boss on a couple of trips and he SAID he weighed 245. He was fudging by nearly 50 pounds. Try putting THAT in the back row of a Lance and taking off when it's 95 degrees out.

How could you tell your boss that he is too fat to fly?

at 300 he would most likely be required to buy two seats on the airlines.

Back