What is a Poker Run

M.E.

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Marc
I read about these and have at least figured out it is a journey with multiple stops, where a card is picked up. Not sure who determines what card and how many airplanes participate. Can someone fill in the details for me please. Thanks.

M.E. said:
I read about these and have at least figured out it is a journey with multiple stops, where a card is picked up. Not sure who determines what card and how many airplanes participate. Can someone fill in the details for me please. Thanks.

Usually setup for fund raisers, a Poker Flight consists of 5 airports being selected. Every pilot lands at each and randomly picks a card from a standard deck of cards. The selected card is recorded for the player, the player pays a dollar or so, and at the end of the day, there's the meeting where winners (best poker hands) are announced and given cash prizes.

I used a Poker Flight as a cross-country exercise for one of my students. It was a good planning exercise and the student had an afternoon of fun.

M.E. said:

Be prepared for a lower than desirable turnout if the weather doesn't cooperate. Our Ninety-Nines chapter made more money selling food and drinks than we did on the registrations the last time we hosted a poker run. In fact, we decided that for our next fundraiser (if we ever do another one) we'd just go out to the airport on sunny weekend and set up a food cart.

Silicon Rallye said:
Usually setup for fund raisers, a Poker Flight consists of 5 airports being selected. Every pilot lands at each and randomly picks a card from a standard deck of cards. The selected card is recorded for the player,

...or the player brings the drawn cards back to the finishing airport.

Silicon Rallye said:
the player pays a dollar or so,

Not all Poker Runs involve money, but it tends to be more popular if there's a prize of some sort.

Silicon Rallye said:
and at the end of the day, there's the meeting where winners (best poker hands) are announced and given cash prizes.

...or the money is donated to a charity.

Back