What is a good handgun for self/home defense?

ajstoner21

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew
I grew up hunting with my dad and grandpa, using rifles and shotguns, so I'm not totally new to guns but I know nothing about handguns.

I would like to get a 9mm of some kind that I can conceal and carry somewhat easily (I plan on getting some training and getting a concealed handgun license) that is easy to use that is hopefully close to or less than $500.

Any recommendations?

Edit: reason for sudden interest is that my door was kicked in and our tv stolen while we were on a honeymoon. We weren't home but want to be prepared if they come back. My rifles are at my parents house in PA (I live in Texas now).

Last edited:
I have a Beretta 92fs 9mm and it's a great gun, but on the larger side for CC.

I have a smith and wesson M&P that I like. :) My husband is partial to the Ruger (I'm not sure exactly what that is but when I asked that was his answer)

A pump shotgun cut off to 18" and with the plug removed.
:yeahthat:
Of course, it is not very handy for concealed carry, but it is the best home protection weapon you will find.

Agree with Tim, or ...
home-kush-1.jpg

For a handgun, consider a
FNX-9
Offers a safety, very accurate, reliable, double or single action, ambidextrous...

Of course, it is not very handy for concealed carry, but it is the best home protection weapon you will find.

Hey, it's Texas..."Open Carry Texas!" is marching along to their own drummer. :)

Just strap it on your back and head out for a day of shopping...no worries:

BN-DB555_target_G_20140603151325.jpg

Second for the shotgun, although I would go 18.5 inches just to make sure you don't have any trouble with our friends at BATFE.

If you are serious about it you need to go lurk over at www.thehighroad.org

You will find everything you need to know there.

Jim

I'd suggest going to a shooting range where you can rent and/or try out various handguns, and see what YOU like. The "best" one will be the one that you like to shoot and feel comfortable handling. I'd suggest .38spl, 9mm or .45 caliber, which are generally thought of as common/minimum calibers for personal defense. If you are willing to practice practice practice, then a semi auto pistol is fine. If not, get a 3" or 4" bbl .38 revolver, and a couple speedy-loaders.

Haven't had a chance to shoot one but check out a Ruger SR9c

They are around $400. I think 9mm is a good choice. Ammo is inexpensive and they are very popular.

I'd suggest going to a shooting range where you can rent and/or try out various handguns, and see what YOU like. The "best" one will be the one that you like to shoot and feel comfortable handling. I'd suggest .38spl, 9mm or .45 caliber, which are generally thought of as common/minimum calibers for personal defense. If you are willing to practice practice practice, then a semi auto pistol is fine. If not, get a 3" or 4" bbl .38 revolver, and a couple speedy-loaders.

What he said. Handguns are a lot more about "feel" and it is really useful to try them on. I don't like revolvers, but that's me. Figure out what works for you by trying them at the range. Rent, then buy, kinda like a plane....

For concealed carry: Kel-Tec P11 or P3AT with a Sideguard Holsters "Rough Out" holster for pocket carry. Or Springfield XDs 9mm for inside waistband carry.

For home defense: Remington 870 with a pistol grip. Springfield XDM full size.

I carry a Glock 27 in .40 or a Para-Ordnance in .45, depending on my mood at the time. Can't go wrong with a 9mm, though. Co-workers of mine carry Springfield XD or Ruger SR9. Good shooting with minimal recoil. .38 or .357 revolver work, too, but they have a pretty good kick. And since you are married, I highly encourage letting your wife shoot and get familiar with the gun, too. Or get her hooked on shooting and buy her her own gun.

For a shotgun, a good .12 gauge will do. While I shoot the 870 quite a bit, I'm more of a fan of Mossberg. Better location of the safety and slide release, IMO.

Go down to your local Cabelas/Scheels/Gander Mountain or whatever you have and make the guy standing behind the counter take out every gun they have until you find one that feels right :) If you're working with a budget, don't rule out finding something used either. They go bang just like the new ones.

Edit: reason for sudden interest is that my door was kicked in and our tv stolen while we were on a honeymoon. We weren't home but want to be prepared if they come back. My rifles are at my parents house in PA (I live in Texas now).

Steal a TV, thats old-school. Do you own the place? If yes, get a better door/frame as those will work when you are not home.

As for which handgun. Find a range that rents. Find a platform that works for you (Glock, Sig, XD, S&W MP) and buy the different sizes you need.

Last edited:
O.K., you mention working your way to a CC license, that usually means a medium to smaller handgun. Yes, a shorter barreled shotgun is a good choice for 'home defense'.

That S&W model 642 mentioned earlier is a great choice, 38 spcl though. They are very simple to operate, and easy to carry.

For the 9mm choice a simple Glock 26 is a top choice. One can use a longer Glock magazine and an 'X-Grip' if and when you see the need for a full length grip. I like my H&K P2000sk with an LEM trigger too.

Beyond the shooting irons you need to develop the mindset and train/study up. The basic CCW course is a starting point. If the wife is so inclined, get certified together. Handgunlaw.us has a lot of helpful info also.

I'd join the NRA too.

A pump shotgun cut off to 18" and with the plug removed.

except I'd say a semi-auto 12 Ga is superior to the pump becase it can be operated with a single hand if the intruder fires at you and incapacitates one arm.

Also, the best load for home defense is #6 Buck because it loses velocity after travelling through a wall, minimizing the chance of killing an innocent someone on the other side. It's difficult to find for sale so you'll probably have to load it yourself.

there are no 'good' handguns . . . . now that we have that out of the way - the anti-gun people think that telephone to the police is all the defense you need -

moving onto the bad handguns - you want semi-auto for one - much reduced kick. I would not buy anything lighter than 9mm - and for home defense work a Glock 9 or .45acp - both with subsonic wad cutters - will not penetrate 2 walls - and when you hit someone they go down and stay down.

Just remember when you eventually call the cops you tell them the homeowner is armed, and what they are wearing. . . . .

Most women and many kids can only fire a shotgun once if they have not fired one before- shotguns, unless they are semi-auto, are unwieldy and cause lots of problems for most people unused to their kick back. . . . the last thing you want is the first shot to miss and your family to drop the stupid gun and have it used against them.

Last edited:
I have enjoyed a Taurus PT-945 in .45ACP for almost 17 years, put tons of rounds through it, accurate and reliable. And the being confronted by the business end of a .45 will make even a hardened criminal think very carefully about his/her next move, second only to hearing the rack action from a pump shotgun (really like the Mossberg 500 Defender in 12ga for that).

Absolutely second all advice to practice, practice, practice, the only gun control I am for is hitting what you aim at.

'Gimp

Glock 19 if the ergonomics work for you. They don't fit all hands, but they are accurate, reliable, and safe pistols at a reasonable price. 80% of police issue duty weapons are Glocks for a reason.

I have quite a few - but for something in the home I'm either going to default to my Springfield XD in S&W40 - or my 12 gauge Benelli shotgun depending on the scenario.

If and when I carry - I generally carry something smaller in 9mm. No reason to limit yourself to the disadvantages of the small carry guns in your own home.

I practice, with, basically everything I have.

I would also suggest you do some IPDA shooting with your gun. Shooting at a target doesn't simulate the real world scenarios of being under pressure like IPDA does. You'll be surprised at how terrible you are under pressure.

My home defense weapons are always chambered and ready to go (except for the shotgun, as racking the slide is pretty easy). IPDA is great at showing you how ****ty you are at loading a magazine under pressure. Keep it simple.

Last edited:
Glock 19 if the ergonomics work for you. They don't fit all hands, but they are accurate, reliable, and safe pistols at a reasonable price. 80% of police issue duty weapons are Glocks for a reason.

Reliable? Yes. They are issued because cops are stupid and they needed something that they would have a hard time breaking. And for accurate? Not really. You need to come to the range when we qual. I have some in my office that can't hit a target a 10 yards.

Hard to say without knowing your hand size. 9mm and .40cal come in various frame and grip sizes. Go to a gunshow and see what fit your hand best, and see what trigger pulls you are comfortable with.

I had a Sphynx with just a beautiful trigger pull, but it would jam frequently enough it was useless as a defense weapon much less an offense one.

Glocks not accurate? Then how do I shoot 294/300 on the bullseye course with one? It sure ain't all me - the gun helps a lot.

And apparently only issued to people who are too stupid to use a different handgun? Army special ops (aka Delta) might disagree with that. Paul Howe and Larry Vickers are just fine with Glock.

As far as a defense handgun, I say Glock 19. Great blend of effectiveness, concealibility, reliability and affordability. I've been carrying one type or another of Glock practically every day since 1990.

80% of police issue duty weapons are Glocks for a reason.

The #1 reason is that glock aggressively bids LE contracts and throws in armorers courses and spare kits to make it an attractive package for the people with budget responsibility who award the bids.

I would also suggest you do some IPDA shooting with your gun. Shooting at a target doesn't simulate the real world scenarios of being under pressure like IPDA does. You'll be surprised at how terrible you are under pressure.

IDPA and IPSC will be realistic once the cardboard silouettes start shooting back. It is a demonstration of technical skill, not a combat simulation.

I grew up hunting with my dad and grandpa, using rifles and shotguns, so I'm not totally new to guns but I know nothing about handguns.

I would like to get a 9mm of some kind that I can conceal and carry somewhat easily (I plan on getting some training and getting a concealed handgun license) that is easy to use that is hopefully close to or less than $500.

Any recommendations?

Glock 26 or Sig 239.

https://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p239.aspx

http://us.glock.com/products/model/g26gen4

Price ? may not hit your price point but they are proven guns by proven manufacturers. thousands of police departments and the FBI have issued both brands. I personally have owned both and think (opinion) the Sig shoots more accurately than Glock. Ford v Chevy argument.

The "baby glocks" need to be held firm in the hand for them to cycle, if you limp wrist them, you can get jams/problems. NOT A BIG DEAL but need to be aware of that and train accordingly.

MOST handgun encounters/firefights occur under ??? 15 yards (can't remember the study) and TYPICALLY NOT in a situation where good guy (you) are able to carefully line up your sights and smoothly pull the trigger.

Practice out of the holster shooting, hip shooting, and don't get all wrapped up in fancy barrel mounted lights, night sights, laser optics, etc crap. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTIVE and good gun + good holster + training/practice = winning formula.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
I LOVE my XDS .45, but for a person who doesn't have a little bit of experiance and a good grip it can be a bit much with the short mag.

Reliable? Yes. They are issued because cops are stupid and they needed something that they would have a hard time breaking. And for accurate? Not really. You need to come to the range when we qual. I have some in my office that can't hit a target a 10 yards.

Dont you think that this is a result of the software rather than the hardware ?

Glocks not accurate? Then how do I shoot 294/300 on the bullseye course with one? It sure ain't all me - the gun helps a lot.

And apparently only issued to people who are too stupid to use a different handgun? Army special ops (aka Delta) might disagree with that. Paul Howe and Larry Vickers are just fine with Glock.

As far as a defense handgun, I say Glock 19. Great blend of effectiveness, concealibility, reliability and affordability. I've been carrying one type or another of Glock practically every day since 1990.

My last qual I shot 298/300 and it was my own damn fault I didn't get a perfect score.

Most women and many kids can only fire a shotgun once if they have not fired one before- shotguns, unless they are semi-auto, are unwieldy and cause lots of problems for most people unused to their kick back. . . . the last thing you want is the first shot to miss and your family to drop the stupid gun and have it used against them.

If you load your own defense rounds (#6 buckshot) You can reduce the power to a more managable level if you intent the wife and older kids to be able to use it.

A gun is accurate only becuase of the person shooting it.

That is why the discussion whether a Sig, Glock or M&P is 'more accurate' is largely academic. You are trying to hit the center mass scoring area of a man-size target at 7 or 15 yards, not a bullseye at 50.

Shooter issue, not a firearm issue. I own several Glocks, and they are as accurate as my Kimber 1911.

A gun is accurate only becuase of the person shooting it.

Mostly but not entirely. Take a 5.56mm AK and a 5.56mm AR and shoot both at 300 meters, and you will quickly see that the firearm matters, assuming the shooter does his part.

I take offense to this, the majority of our law enforcement and police, men and women working for less than optimum wages, and our military (protecting the nation), are not stupid, from an IQ standpoint. Quite the contrary. I have even met a MBA investment banker who is at LAPD because the office life was too boring. Our SEALS and Special Ops types (SIG is big brand over there) are far from "stupid." A seasoned street cop or homicide detective knows more about Psychology than Dr. Phil or any other "experts"

That is why the discussion whether a Sig, Glock or M&P is 'more accurate' is largely academic. You are trying to hit the center mass scoring area of a man-size target at 7 or 15 yards, not a bullseye at 50.

Weilke's point is 100 percent correct.

Consider the ballistics. Any handgun pales in comparison to a 12GA. Nine 30 cal. Bullets in a single round of LE buckshot. If we are talking home defense that is my choice. In particular a Benelli M4 with extended tube. Easy to handle, soft recoil, reliable, and lays down some lead. That's why the military uses it.

Shotguns are also more forgiving if you don't train a lot.

Back