What is a flight check?

wrighthenry

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
wrighthenry
I had a lesson yesterday at a class D. We originally wanted to stay in the pattern and get some tower ops training but we were requested to leave the area because there was a flight check ongoing at the airport. On our taxi for departure we saw a bunch of guys working around a van and truck on the side of the taxi way and then on return there was a plane in the pattern. The tower had us stay clear of the airport until he completely departed the pattern.

No big deal, we got our tower ops done at another local class D. Just wondering what was going on.

It was the TSA. Did you get a phone call yet?

FAA guys flying approaches to make sure everything is right. They check glideslopes, localizers, etc...

Normally that's where an FAA airplane with special equipment (really precise position monitoring) flies the instrument approach being checked to ensure that the localizer and glidepath systems are working properly, or the VOR that the approach is based on is working correctly.

If you just got new ILS equipment or repairs, then the approach isn't usable until the flight check is done. They make sure that the path flown when following the nav signals matches the path that's supposed to be flown according to the approach design.

If it's what I think it was, on a regular basis, the FAA has aircraft that go out and do these flight checks at various airports for various reasons. For example, at my airport, they come and check the 3 GPS approaches, 1 NDB approach, the visual vertical guidance aids to both approach ends, and also the RPZ clearances. This doesn't usually occur all on the same day, but I suppose that it could. In this area, it's usually a King Air 200 that does the checks. It's easily distinguishable due to it's light blue color.

I shared the pattern with the FAA once at an uncontrolled AP but there was no equip on the ground, just the airplane shooting approaches. After about two or three, they left the area.

Cool. Thanks for the replies. Too bad they departed the area and didn't get to see my masterful float down 1/3 of the runway for my last landing of the day. I'm sure they could have learned a lot.

I've ridden with FAA on a flght check years ago at ISP. Back when they were using Saberliners and DC3s. Very interesting and a lot of fun.

via Tapatalk

Where is Fast n Furious when you need him?

You rang, Sir? Yes indeed...I did that for ten years and actually till just recently. Great mission and never a dull moment. I'm in a different part of the organization now. Maybe go back someday but for now what I'm doing is very, very good.

Back