What in the heck is this?

R

RobertGerace

Oh the joys...

I land at an airport and a week or two later I get an invoice in the mail? It seems CAK looked up my tail number, and mailed me an invoice for $7 for the privilige of landing at their airport.

Can someone explain this to me? What if the invoice had been for several hundred dollars? Where do you find out about landing fees (to stay away from those airports).

I guess flying rentals these always went to the owner of the airplane.

I know it's not a lot of money, but sheesh...

There seem to be a lot of airports trying this now. Concord Regional (JQF) was doing it (I'm not sure if it's still active) and our club got a waiver since we have planes based there.

I'm not sure how to tell if it's going to happen other than to call ahead. It might reference it in the AFD.

If airports are going to do that, there is NO WAY it should NOT BE in the AFD. They should not be able to just spring that on you. This might be a good reason to give AOPA a call and just ask someone there. They might even spring into action!

The Port Authority of NY/NJ will hit you with a bill for usage @ TEB, as an example. They mail them to the address on the registration. I've gotten them flying into HPN, also.

Don't confuse a ramp handling fee with a landing fee. They can be different.

AOPA's directory shows:

Fees:Landing Fee

How they get it from you can vary. Good info to have. I used CAK a few weeks back for an Angel Flight. I wonder if they'll hit me with one.

Greg
182RG

Back