What if a Person is Worried about their Medical?

Is it worth the bother of doing a medical consultation before the real thing?

• Heck no, if you can't pass a 3rd class medical, you should not fly anything.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Yes, do anything it takes to keep from losing the priviledge to at least fly a Cub locally.

Votes: 26 78.8%
  • You have no choice, you have to fill out IACRA and that's it.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Forget it. Flying is not for old people beyond the age of 63 annyway.

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
I am coming up on my next medical in March. If I understand correctly, the IACRA has to be entered before I go to the doctor appointment. It would seem that this means if you are denied, then you have been denied and are no longer eligible to even fly LSA.

I have no reason to believe that I won't pass the medical, but what if I do fail? My thinking is that if I can't even pass the cheesy third class medical, maybe I shouldn't even be flying a Taylorcraft or J3.

Would it REALLY be worth spending money to go for a consultation and then spend the same money to go for the real thing? This is probably a question that only I can answer, but I would like to hear peoples thoughts on the subject.

Last edited:
Where is the "Why would I go through all this nonsense just to be able to fly an airplane with a back seat that I wouldn't hardly use?" option on the poll?

Know b4 u go

If there are cogent worries a consultation might not be the worst thing in the world.

I think you mean MedXPress. IACRA is for airmen certficates/ratings.

But to answer the question, I'd talk to a good AME prior to even starting to fill out the MedXPress. And then I'd make sure I'd visit that AME (or an equally good one).

The one time I thought I'd have difficulty with my certificate, I called AOPA's medical folks (this was long before the redboard) and was told with the papers I had it wouldn't be a problem, but if it was that I should have my AME talked the the RFS.

Well, my AME had retired so I picked up a new one who turned out to be a real turd. I've found out subsequently from Dr. Bruce that a number of things he did was outright improper and probably would have gotten him decertified. The major problem is the bozo handed off all the paperwork to an underling and never returned my calls. When I requested he run the issue by the RFS it turns out he said he did but he still sent my deferral in to OKC. It was only after I talked to the RFS myself that I found out that he had NEVER called. Fortunately the RFS and her assistant were able to help me decipher the information on the correspondence from OKC. I suspect I'm one of the few airmen who actually has talked to the doctor reviewing his case directly.

All this because an initial screen showed a false positive that subsequent tests proved wrong. While they gave me an immediate SI, it took me about three more years to convince them that I NEVER HAD the condition the SI was for and with the assistance of my primary doctor and my NEW AME got OKC begrudigingly agree I didn't have the condition. Of course, they always weasel the response in that "if you ever do get X, be sure to stop flying and notify us."

So yes, I do not recommend people with *ANY* blemish on their medical records be it 100% resolved just blindly blundering into the FAA medical process.

I'm not a proponent on those with serious disqualifying conditions dodging the system to fly sport pilot or gliders or whatever in a way that is patently unsafe, but frankly I believe there is a large gap between what is patently unsafe and what could be considered a normal issuance under the current rules.

Last edited:
The last time I got my medical there was no such thing as MedXPress. They want date of every doctors visit I've had in the past 3 years and the nature of each visit?:mad2:

I don't think there is anything in any of my visits that will be cause for concern, but it's going to be a hassle to come up with every date and its reasons.:mad:

Last edited:
Nothing has changed with the medical application questions itself, they've just been moved from the paper to the electronic submission (and frankly, it looks like whoever built the medXpress application is the same person that did the one we use for the electronic version of security clearance applications these days).

I do remember all the questions from the hand written one, except I certainly don't remember them asking for the date and reason for every doctors appointment in the last 3 years.

Just a continuation of their "we're not happy until you're not happy" motto.

The last time I got my medical there was no such thing as MedXPress. They want date of every doctors visit I've had in the past 3 years and the nature of each visit?:mad2:

I don't think there is anything in any of my visits that will be cause for concern, but it's going to be a hassle to come up with every date and its reasons.:mad:

I just asked my medical insurance provider for a list of the claims I submitted. Everytime I go to the doctor I present it so it was easy to get my last 3 years.

I just asked my medical insurance provider for a list of the claims I submitted. Everytime I go to the doctor I present it so it was easy to get my last 3 years.

Excellent idea!(assuming the insurance weenies cooperate:))

Cheers

So what is it you are afraid of failing, registering a pulse or fogging the mirror?

Seriously though, to address your question, I've been told that if you fill the form out and do not sign it until the end of the exam you'd be off the hook. I don't know if that's true. :dunno:

It seems kind of silly to have to list a doctor's visit for the flu, cold, etc. I had someone tell me one time the FAA is really only interested in doctor visit for something more serious, but how do we determine that? I found the MedExpress easier than the doctor's visit, because I filled it out sitting at home, and I could go look things up if I needed to. If you are an AOPA member, I would recommend talking to them. I haven't done that since the AOPA added all the new things, like legal protection, medical, etc., so am not sure if you can talk to them anymore unless you are a member of one of the extra things.

I don't remember them all, unless it is for a major issue.
I just write down, various visits, routine colds, flu shots, annual prescription renewals. That seems to keep the AME happy.

My primary care provider will run a summary sheet as well for me. It's rare that I see a medical professional that doesn't start with a referral from them.

Back