What I like most about learning to fly

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
In most pursuits, you learn using the tools of the time; electronic calculators in school, software at work, etc. I don't find any modern conveniences present in my training so far, which adds to the challenge and reward of this endeavor. No GPS, fully analog mechanical gages and even during flight planning we use the slide rule instead of a calculator. I don't know what it is about general aviation that has sheltered it from these features of modernity, but i like it.

In most pursuits, you learn using the tools of the time; electronic calculators in school, software at work, etc. I don't find any modern conveniences present in my training so far, which adds to the challenge and reward of this endeavor. No GPS, fully analog mechanical gages and even during flight planning we use the slide rule instead of a calculator. I don't know what it is about general aviation that has sheltered it from these features of modernity, but i like it.

Start flying with a G430 WAAS...

That'll change...

:rolleyes:

Yep, and as soon as you get your PPL all that OLD stuff will go in the bottom of your flight bag. Then you will go out and spend thousands of dollars on all the fancy electronic stuff, you thought it was expensive now!!!!!:yikes:

Twelve years now, and I still don't have an electronic flight computer. The "whiz wheel" is a flight computer, only it doesn't need batteries and won't die if you drop it in a puddle, or break if you sit on it. :D

But even a whiz wheel is not one of the basics- the basics are: compass, clock, and chart. Learn how to use those three well and you won't ever need a GPS (although they are really nice to have, especially in an emergency).

...although I have had a plotter break on me once. I probably could have given it to a recreational pilot, it wasn't good past 50 miles. :D

...although I have had a plotter break on me once. I probably could have given it to a recreational pilot, it wasn't good past 50 miles. :D

What are you tryin to say?...

but really, i'll be happy the day i fly more than 20 miles

:rofl:

I'm still using the same plotter and manual E6-B that I've had for 10 years.

The training plane I just switched back to has 2 VORs, an ADF and that's it.

The most common problem I find in beginning students is that they look at the panel too much. That's what the round post-it notes are for :)

Yeah, plotters are pretty easy to break. Maybe we should add "thumbnail" to the list of basics? Mine is exactly 5nm wide on a sectional- it's served me well more than once. :D

Hi everyone!

What I like the most about learning to fly is FLYING!

Speaking of plotters, etc...

I finally am used to the E6B...that being said, 71D is out for the next week...in goes the G430W out goes the Apollo...since the plane is used primarily as an IFR trainer. We are keeping the ADF in the plane for backup purposes, training, and to listen to the ballgames on 660 and 880 :)

A question for all...since I am getting kind of close to completing my PPL...what is the general consensus about what's next. I am seriously considering going on with the IR, and looking into both a part 141 and part 61 program. My PPL is in a 141 school, its been great and the program is excellent. I am considering going part 61 for the ability to meet my scheduling needs and in moving through the program at a more flexible pace.

If money was not a consideration (yeah right!)..what would you do?

Thanks..and by the way, where can I download one of those US maps showing states flown to that I can post as part of my signature in these messages?

Thanks!

Last edited:
A question for all...since I am getting kind of close to completing my PPL...what is the general consensus about what's next. I am seriously considering going on with the IR, and looking into both a part 141 and part 61 program. My PPL is in a 141 school, its been great and the program is excellent. I am considering going part 61 for the ability to meet my scheduling needs and in moving through the program at a more flexible pace.
The instrument rating is the usual next step, both because it greatly improves your ability to use the airplane and because everything else that most folks want to do with an ASEL rating has that as a prerequisite.

Thanks..and by the way, where can I download one of those US maps showing states flown to that I can post as part of my signature in these messages?
Click the map in my signature. It's a link to the site where you generate the map.

If money was not a consideration (yeah right!)..what would you do?

61 - Even if money *is* a consideration.

Yes, 141 will allow you to finish with 35 hours of instrument time instead of 40. Problem is, it's *all* gotta be dual. For part 61, you need 40 hours of instrument time, but you can split it between 15 hours with a CFI and 25 with a safety pilot - So, the cost can be lower.

Note that you won't necessarily finish in the minimum time regardless of which program you use, nor should minimum time be your goal. The IR is very important - What you can't see WILL kill you. Don't skimp.

Another difference between 61 and 141 is cross country time. 141 requires none. 61 requires 50 hours of XC PIC. However, there's nothing that says you can't do a big chunk of your 40 hours of instrument time as cross country! In fact, IMHO the "short" cross country IFR flights (50-75nm) are the hardest - You're busy the whole time! As soon as you're established in cruise it's time to brief the approach and then execute it. I've also seen some folks that are 141-trained for IR that don't/can't actually use the rating because while they can shoot approaches all day long, they've only done the one required cross country and they just don't understand cross country ops. Nobody gets the IR to go flying around in the local area - You get the IR so you can go places! So, learning HOW to go places is important. Plus, it'll expose you to a bunch of different instrument approaches at different airports.

I guess I should just say that I would emphatically recommend part 61 for the instrument rating. :yes:

Yeah, plotters are pretty easy to break. Maybe we should add "thumbnail" to the list of basics? Mine is exactly 5nm wide on a sectional- it's served me well more than once. :D
Our thumbs are the same size. Scaled on a sectional chart it is exactly 8 nm from the finger tip to the first joint on my little finger.

Back