What I did today...

BrianR

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BrianR
Got invited by my local EAA chapter to participate in a flyover at the funeral for a local aviation guru. I wasn't sure at first, as I've never done anything along those lines, and the other pilots were all very experienced (including an Airbus captain), and I'm anything but.

However, the guy organizing it was a retired military pilot, and very safety-conscious. There was a required safety briefing before getting airborne. "Everyone will be in trail, NOT in formation, don't go below 1000 feet AGL, stay at 80 kts, and keep the guy in front of you in sight at all times." The route of flight was described in detail.

There were five of us: a Super Cub, Pacer, two 172s and a Mooney. It was pretty cool, the family appreciated it, and it added a new level of confidence to my flying, operating for an extended period of time in closer proximity to other airplanes than is typical in the traffic pattern.

Next, I gave their first-ever rides in a small plane to a coworker and her son, who had a great time.

And tomorrow I get to do the first part of my high performance endorsement and checkout in a 182!

Yeah, this aviation stuff is pretty awesome! :)

It is amazing, to me anyway.

Sounds like a wonderful experience, and a great day of flying.

Back