What I did last night... (and some lessons)

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
Seven years and one day ago now, I sat in my senior year Honors English class at Brooklyn Technical High School on a perfect September morning. It was the exact kind of day we all look for to fly (although I didn't think like that at the time). The skies were blue, and there was not a single cloud in the sky. It was the definition of CAVU. Anyone who was in New York that day remembers the clarity.

Although the English teacher was extremely interesting, and one of my favorite teachers in the course of my time as a student, it is hard not to look out the window on such days. As I looked out the window, though, I saw something that I knew was very, very wrong. There was a haze up towards the top of the sky, coming from the north. Something inside of me knew that there was something terribly wrong, and that once I found out about it I could never change that. I wanted to enjoy those last few minutes while I could. I'll never know how I knew that something was wrong ahead of time - I suppose it's just New Yorker's instincts. Anyone who's raised in New York City knows that you end up with a heightened sense of alertness and awareness as to your surroundings.

The bliss of ignorance didn't last for long, as I knew it wouldn't, when one of the girls in class who was sitting in a position where she could see what had happened decided to look out the window and screamed. We all got up to look. Ignorance was no longer an option, although it sure would have been nice.

I don't need to say what else happened that day, everybody knows. One thing that came out of it was my fear of airplanes. Not so much of flying, but my fear of aviation in general. For several years, I couldn't even hear an airplane fly overhead without going into panic mode. Since I went to college near an airport (albeit a class D), this was not great.

Obviously, my attitude on flying has changed significantly. However, one day in particular I still had something of a phobia with flying. I decided it was important to me to fly yesterday. A lot of people do various commemorative things - tell stories to groups, go on group motorcycle rides. I have always done things myself. So, I decided to hop in the Mooney and fly to KPSB. If you ever want to go to an airport where you won't be disturbed, this is the place. It's also a great place to practice instrument work, as it has ILS, VOR, and NDB approaches. I flew out there, filing at 6,000 and getting some good time in actuals, and then flew the ILS in, an easy job with the ceilings at 2000 AGL.

I parked the Mooney, pulled out my folding chair and a Dr. Pepper, and thought about things for an hour or so.

This is where the "fun" began. I called NY Center from the ground to get my clearance, and was told that Williamsport airport was closed. This was not in the NOTAMs when I filed my flight plan a few hours earlier. Turned out that some construction crews working around the end of one of the runways hit a power line and broke the runway lights. I was told they were working on it, and to wait 30 minutes.

So, I got another 30 minutes to sit around and think, during which I went through my log book and reflected on my past year of flying. I looked back at what amounted to some of my most memorable flights - my second lesson (which was also my first experience in IMC), flying the Aztec, various trips with friends, heading out to 6Y9... roughly 180 hours of flying in one year three days. Thinking about how far I've come since that first lesson where I was looking down at the ground and going "Wow, that's a long ways to fall," and also thinking about far I have yet to go.

Similar to when I saw that haze in the sky over Manhattan on that perfect September morning, I had a feeling that this return flight home was going to be interesting.

30 minutes later I called NY Center back, received my clearance and was released. I took off and got in the sky. Right about the time I entered IMC (this is in pitch black night), I got the call from NY Center that Williamsport had closed for the evening, and where would my alternate be. This confused me, I couldn't see why they would be closed for the evening, but I focused on flying the plane and declared an alternate of Selinsgrove, the airport where I've taken both my check rides so far and am familiar with. I got clearance direct to (aren't GPSs wonderful?) and made the visual approach in to a perfect landing. This was lesson #1.

I then called Missa and asked for her to come pick me up (it is great to have friends who you can call on in such situations... especially at night). She hopped in the car and started driving down. At her suggestion, I started making some phone calls. When I called Williamsport tower, he told me he'd been trying to get ahold of me, and that the airport was reopened, I could come home. I called Missa back, told her that I was coming home to Williamsport, and took back off.

I high-tailed it back to Williamsport, getting a nice tailwind and the Mooney was producing 160 kts ground speed, even at only 65% power. At that speed, it's a very short flight. I then got directly over top the airport and couldn't see it, so I went out to the mall (a highly visible reference) to get my bearings and try to see the airport. I then called in to Williamsport tower, and asked if the lights were on. Turns out they broke in the 15 minutes it took me to fly up there. Needless to say, I was not happy.

The runway end lights were working, however (apparently on a different circuit). I was cleared to land on Runway 9. The first time around I couldn't find it (and ended up finding a taxiway instead), and did a go-around. The second time I lined myself up better, moved the plane around a bit to let the landing light search, and saw the big "9" on the runway, and landed.

That was a time when I was very glad to be home and on the ground, regardless of how much I love flying.

Here are some lessons learned from this that I hope others can learn from:

1) Always have an alternate in your mind when you go out. For whatever reason, you may not be able to land at home. I always do this anyway, but it is good to be familiar with the surrounding airports. The last thing you want is to be told you can't land at your intended destination, and then have to scramble to learn what you need to about an unfamiliar airport. Doubly so at night. Triply so in IMC. Things break and NOTAMs pop up after you've filed your flight plan - this is what happened to me yesterday, and I had only filed my flight plan about two hours prior.

2) Unless your engine has died, time is on your hands (keeping fuel constraints in mind). If I had taken a little bit longer to think about this, the winds were out of the south, making for a crosswind with a slight headwind for 9/27. Runway 27 has an ILS approach into it. What I thought about as I was making my second attempt at Runway 9 was that if I didn't find the runway this time, I would ask to go out and perform the ILS approach into 27, and take the slight tailwind. The runway is very long, so a tailwind is no issue. Plus that way I know I'm lined up with the runway, all I have to do is find it. Additionally, the 27 side of the runway is easier to see than the 9 side. All in all, that would have been a better idea to do. When you get asked to state intentions, you CAN say "standby" and think about it. You don't need to respond immediately, even though that is what we normally feel pressured to do. Think about all your options and take what is best. Or, if you can't get in, turn around and go back to the alternate. I was prepared to do that, as well, even though it would've meant turning Missa around again. :)

3) Be calm, take a deep breath, remember training, and don't let the situation get ahead of you. It's easy for the situation to get overwhelming if you let it. Aviate, navigate, communicate. Fly the plane first, make sure it stays straight and level. Then figure out what you want to do, where you want to go, etc. Then tell them what you want to do. You can keep flying in a straight line (usually) and figure out your options.

I certainly didn't expect last night to be as challenging of a flight as it was. Thankfully, I was prepared and it all turned out just fine. Hopefully there are some lessons to others from this that are valuable. That is the only reason why I am posting this - as I fully expect that some are going to start flaming me for this or question my decisions. If you do, you can expect no response from me - I don't need to dignify any such statements with responses.

As to the picture, that's a bad cell phone shot of where I went. It was very peaceful and relaxing, and that part was exactly what I was going for.

Attachments

• Mooney911.jpg
    Mooney911.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Hum,

So now it's Sunshine, the thrid blind mouse and EdFred Jr...:goofy:

Missa

PS no prob on the Circling to pick up... :p

Great night and lessons Ted. Glad it worked out.
Some great points about aviate, navigate, and communicate.
My instructor always reminded me that I can ask for delay vectors from ATC
to get some time to sort things out if need be, especially if something like this happens
as you approach your destination.

It sounds like a very nice night to reflect, Ted. Thanks for the lessons

FWIW you can use the ILS on 27 to line up with 09. GS is useless flying the Back Course will line you up with the runway.

First Ted. Your a winner because of what you did and not letting bad memories control. Just a few questions

If you ever want to go to an airport where you won't be disturbed, this is the place. .

As is Zerby!

Mooney was producing 160 kts ground speed, even at only 65% power. .

So were you running LOP at 65%? Sorry I just had to:rolleyes:

How can I flame you you seemed to be in control and competent at what you were doing. I would not have done IMC at night but thats me not you. So nuthin to flame. Rib ya? Of course! But flame nah.

FWIW you can use the ILS on 27 to line up with 09. GS is useless flying the Back Course will line you up with the runway.

Problem is and Ted or Missa can correct me but following the back course at IPT may require you to fly through Rock on the approach.

There is NO published back course approach for IPT, so one would be very stupid to rely on it. All sorts of things can affect the radio signal - never assume that a back course is usable for navigation unless there is in fact a published back course approach.

Last edited:
Here's another tip, Ted. I'm not sure what kind of GPS you have, but I know on the 430, if you are 'Direct To:' an airport (or any other waypoint), you can select OBS, and turn the knob to set it to the runway heading. Then you have extended centerlines to get lined up on. It's not perfect, but on a night where you just need to see the lights lined up in a row, it might help.

Sounds like a fun trip! Shortly after I got my Private certificate, I took off in the 172 at sunset going NE with no particular destination. About 45 minutes later, I stopped north of Clinton at some po-dunk airport with one hangar and grass growing through the cracks in the runway. Pulled out my handy-dandy sectional, plotter, and flashlight and planned the next leg on the horizontal stab. Ended up in Wisconsin near the 'Dells' when I had to 'go' and made a pit-stop and returned back home. Those types of 'no particular place to go' kind of flights are what make flying so cool.

There is NO published back course approach for IPT, so one would be very stupid to rely on it. All sorts of things can affect the radio signal - never assume that a back course is usable for navigation unless there is in fact a published back course approach.

I did not say rely on it I said use it to help with runway alignment. When lined up with the taxi way in the dark it still would be a help lining up the centerline on while flying the pattern.

Problem is and Ted or Missa can correct me but following the back course at IPT may require you to fly through Rock on the approach.

Yeah, I was doing the Braille-Air 9 approach. The ILS 27 back course would end you up on the Mountain approach. I think partially for that reason, runway 9 is not typically used for landings. Also...

Pretty much. Good advice, Tim.

I am fortunate in that I know my airport well. Had I been at an airport I didn't know well, I would've had to go elsewhere. Williamsport, especially at night, can be tricky because of its close proximity to the ridge. I sometimes wonder who on earth decided to put an airport there. In fact, there used to be a third runway (now decommissioned) that took off almost directly into the ridge.

Here's another tip, Ted. I'm not sure what kind of GPS you have, but I know on the 430, if you are 'Direct To:' an airport (or any other waypoint), you can select OBS, and turn the knob to set it to the runway heading. Then you have extended centerlines to get lined up on. It's not perfect, but on a night where you just need to see the lights lined up in a row, it might help.

Yeah, and this is one area where I lack. I need to get more proficient at using the GPS in the Mooney. I just got used to the King in the Archer and now I have to relearn! :)

Of course, the manual is within reach of the pilot during flight... like I'm really going to read through that 300 page thing in night IMc to figure out how to use it. ;)

Yeah, and this is one area where I lack. I need to get more proficient at using the GPS in the Mooney. I just got used to the King in the Archer and now I have to relearn! :)

Of course, the manual is within reach of the pilot during flight... like I'm really going to read through that 300 page thing in night IMc to figure out how to use it. ;)

Worth every penny!

http://www8.garmin.com/include/SimulatorPopup.html

This one's an Apollo GPS, I can't remember the model off the top of my head. If there's a simulator for it, I'd enjoy giving it a shot.

I did not say rely on it I said use it to help with runway alignment. When lined up with the taxi way in the dark it still would be a help lining up the centerline on while flying the pattern.

And if terrain makes that signal say 30+ degrees off course?

Unless there's a published BC approach, the radiation pattern of the BC signal has not been surveyed and flight checked, and shouldn't be used for anything. ON the runway you're not getting the BC at all. In the pattern you shouldn't use it for anything.

Some, but doesn't this assume that the runway passes through the center of the airport? True, it'll get you close to the centerline, but I wouldn't assume it's more than a place to start looking.

Some, but doesn't this assume that the runway passes through the center of the airport? True, it'll get you close to the centerline, but I wouldn't assume it's more than a place to start looking.

True. It should never be considered close enough to shoot an approach with, but in Ted's case, all he needed was a way to see the runway lights lined up, which this would probably get him close enough.

True. It should never be considered close enough to shoot an approach with, but in Ted's case, all he needed was a way to see the runway lights lined up, which this would probably get him close enough.
...except that the problem was that the runway lights were out.

Runway lights were out. The REILs were on. Those are what I used to shoot the Braille 9 approach. :)

Like I said, if I had to do it again I'd go out and shoot the ILS 27. That's my #1 takeaway that I would do next time.

THAT is a lesson I learned the hard way...almost the VERY HARD way. This is the 1st time I even dared to mention that. :hairraise::eek:

Hey Ted, nice job. Sounds like fun!

To make you feel better, I fly SPIFR night IMC, although you'll only find me at 11,000'+. The risk is manageable. One of the nicest flights I've ever had was at 16,000' from Arizona to San Francisco, right over Las Vegas, at night. Amazing view! (until we got over the Sierras and into IMC)

-Felix

Last edited:
I'm glad you all enjoyed my post. :)

Looking out the window this morning, I can tell you I'm getting more actuals today for certain.

I enjoyed the write-up, Ted! Not only a nice time of reflection for you, but as everyone else mentions, a good reminder about why to plan alternatives.

I'd say the only error you made was going to Brooklyn Tech as compared the the Bronx High School of Science (where I went a number of years ago)

Back