Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Yikes.

I just bought a car, sight unseen, off eBay. :hairraise:

Looks like a beaut, though:

90_4.JPG

I'll probably pick it up in the middle of next week. That's one nice thing about my job... I'll just ask for a load going that way, pick up the car, and have my trainee follow me back in the truck.

Lots of toys, too - Heated, power leather memory seats, power moonroof, and headlight wipers! Haha, those seem useless, but there is some cool factor there. As well as some "Jeez, another thing to break" factor. Oh well.

So... Before I completely close the deal, is there anything I should look for? Carfax reports that it hit a deer a couple of years ago, but nothing else significant. I'm going to try to make a checklist of things to look at and test to make sure all the bells and whistles work.

Hitting a deer. I have seen be a big deal.

I recently helped someone replace the air conditioning evaporator on their vehicle (rip EVERYTHING out of the interior...every piece of plastic..including the steering wheel to do this). About a week later we had to replace the head.

What happend?

Some idiot hit a deer with it at some point. They probably drove it home and let it overheat. The A/C system was damaged and it was all repaired by a shop. The shop must have did some faulty A/C work and let some moisture get in the lines. Apperantly water forms an acid inside the evaporator and eats it apart.

The head was cracked because the idiot drove the vehicle after it hit the deer and let it overheat. It was a very minor crack, but the vehicle continually was low on coolant even though no leaks could be found.

I'm personally a little hesitant about buying a car that hit a deer. If I knew the person and exactly what happend along with who repaired it. I might.

flyingcheesehead said:
Yikes.

I just bought a car, sight unseen, off eBay. :hairraise:

Looks like a beaut, though:

90_4.JPG

Carfax reports that it hit a deer a couple of years ago, but nothing else significant.

Hitting a deer IS significant.. While in high school, I drove a school bus (thank goodness they dont allow students to drive any more!!) One early morning, a deer jumped out of a ditch directly in front of me. I hit him broad side at about 40 mph with no time to touch the brakes. The deer was killed, the elementary students aboard were both terrified and traumatized. I wish I had a pic to show the damage that deer did to a SCHOOL BUS.
In your case, I would think that there might have been substantial damage that has been "corrected". Take it to a body shop to have them take a look at the repair!!!!!!

It depends on the Deer and how he was hit. Obviously. I have changed many windows from deer strikes. Some were just a crumpled hood and shattered window, others were more severe. At the least, you have to clean deer poop off the side of the vehicle.

cherokeeflyboy said:
Hitting a deer IS significant..

Yup... Hence, "nothing else significant."

I will be giving the radiator and surrounding parts a good hard look. I've seen what deer can do to vehicles, even large trucks. It depends largely on the driver's reaction... One of my trainees hit a deer, but hit it exactly right - He saw the deer at the side of the road, slowed significantly, no swerve, and didn't even kill the deer - It ran away. One small crack just below the grille, complete with a small tuft of hair. That's one lucky deer!

I have hit a deer before. Unfortunately, the deer was a doe, following its mother, and I am a vegetarian. It did not die right away, and I called the police who put it down (with a bullet). Under the circumstances, I think he did the right thing. The front end had to be replaced (of the car), but there was no internal damage at all. The garage told me that this is often the case; i.e., not a big deal.

I dunno, Kent. Maybe the headlight wipers are slaved to the autopilot. In which case, the door locks won't work. That's my kind of luck.

flyingcheesehead said:
So... Before I completely close the deal, is there anything I should look for? Carfax reports that it hit a deer a couple of years ago, but nothing else significant. I'm going to try to make a checklist of things to look at and test to make sure all the bells and whistles work.

I do warranty investigations on automotive components. Trust me, lots of major stuff happens that doesn't get on those reports! Only items that get reported to a DMV or police agency are included.

Looks like the front end was repainted after the deer collision. Not necessarily a big deal but if it shows in the pictures it will be easy to see if/when you try to sell this car. I had a Crown Vic once that had front fender repair for a minor accident; when I went to sell it I wished I had left the dent there!

Unit-body car repair is an art (that's why I don't own them) and the only way to tell if it was done right is to look it over good. Chances are yours is OK and I assume you got a good price. Look at the tire wear (unless they were changed) and have someone listen to the engine closely.

Good luck, I've bought cars and bikes on EBay and have done OK.

Kent,
Thanks for finding my car, it was stolen sometime back and the police have been looking for it. You can drop it off on your way back home, that way it saves me a trip after it.:D :D Ha HA, just kidding.
Looks good hope you enjoy it!

What you have to look forward to is the first repair bill.

Having owned a Mercedes and 2 Saabs, I'm sorta pre-stressed.

But, this is da guy who has twice droped $1500 for repairs his Fords.

tom. said:
I do warranty investigations on automotive components. Trust me, lots of major stuff happens that doesn't get on those reports! Only items that get reported to a DMV or police agency are included.

Yeah, I know. If everything had to be reported, I'd be a lot less nervous.

Do you have any advice as to things to add to my inspection list?

Looks like the front end was repainted after the deer collision.

You can see that?!? Man, you've got a better eye than me for sure. I totally can't tell. :dunno:

I assume you got a good price.

According to Blue Book:

5% below trade-in value
12% below "fair" private-party value
21% below "good" private-party value
27% below "excellent" private-party value
38% below retail

Look at the tire wear (unless they were changed)

Looks good in the pics:

11_4.JPG

We'll see how well balanced they are when I get it on the highway.

Last edited:
mikea said:
What you have to look forward to is the first repair bill.

Having owned a Mercedes and 2 Saabs, I'm sorta pre-stressed.

Yeah, I know.

Though I know it's expensive, I have an excellent mechanic. He's owned his shop for many years but is still so enthusiastic... Well, he knows his stuff. Last time I was there, one of his mechanics was talking about a new Saab that he'd bought which was having problems. After describing all the symptoms he'd experienced and all the parts he'd replaced (he had been working on this problem for quite a while and was utterly stumped), Jeff told him (without even looking at the car): "OK, go into the fuse box under the hood. There's one fuse in there that's perpendicular to the others. It's blown. Replace it, and your car will be fine." :eek:

Here's my preliminary inspection checklist:

* Interior:
- Seat heat
- Seat movement
- Power moonroof
- Power windows
- Power locks
- Heat (both sides)
- Air (both sides)
- general condition

* Exterior:
- Turn signals